Onmyou's Motivation Service

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#1 » Oct 02 2017 01:05

Hello all, I'm back! Well, actually I've been stealthily looking around at times, but it feels like I should say it anyway!

While getting older and wiser I discovered something major. On the one hand the models in my house were somehow increasing in numbers, while on the other hand almost none of the models were actually being finished. Why this happens is beyond me, but I decided to do something about it!

Building an army is quite a lot of work, especially for someone that doesn't considers it his number one hobby, like me. Toying around with it putting in a few hours whenever I feel like it is how I'm progressing now. When I look at what I finished in about 10 years time ( :eek: ) it's obviously way too slow.

I might have found a way for me to finish models at a more steady pace now. I actually have painted quite some Eldar models as presents. I did these with a friend and that worked really well. Having a deadline and working together for the same goal makes it a lot easier and fun to paint. As my friend has sort of the same problem we agreed to do shared deadlines, painting our own armies.

Then I though, surely there must be more like me! So here is my proposal, anyone who needs some motivation, pick a project and join me in racing the deadline! If I actually meet the deadline I will do more of them and try to get as much of my models done as I can.

So here is what I agreed on to paint: an ethereal and 6 stealth suits. The deadline is December 10!

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Re: Onmyou's motivation service

Post#2 » Oct 02 2017 04:07

You got this! ;)

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Oct 02 2017 05:29

I had similar to this recently, and took a year out. Back in now, and keep everything in storage until I have a unit painted. 18 Fire Warriors and 3 Stealth Suits in so far. Working on 4 Pathfinders at the moment, and then a Crisis suit after that.

By the 10th Dec .... I'd like what Im working on, and a Devilfish finished :-)
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Oct 02 2017 06:02

Onmyou wrote:Then I though, surely there must be more like me! So here is my proposal, anyone who needs some motivation, pick a project and join me in racing the deadline! If I actually meet the deadline I will do more of them and try to get as much of my models done as I can.

If you can think of any tips for staying motivated, do let us know! I'm finding it hard to keep to just an hour a day, what with work and everything taking time too. Lots of us out here! Maybe I'll try setting a deadline too.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 03 2017 11:23

Onmyou wrote:Then I though, surely there must be more like me! So here is my proposal, anyone who needs some motivation, pick a project and join me in racing the deadline! If I actually meet the deadline I will do more of them and try to get as much of my models done as I can.
So here is what I agreed on to paint: an ethereal and 6 stealth suits. The deadline is December 10!

I'm in! I have twelve Farsight Enclave 'breachers' to do, and since they're Enclaves that means there is conversion work to do as well as painting.

Now, I'd like to ask everyone taking the Onmyou's challenge to post at least one photo of their completed project on this thread. ;)

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Oct 03 2017 03:43

Now, I'd like to ask everyone taking the Onmyou's challenge to post at least one photo of their completed project on this thread. ;)

TauMan

Finished breachers Oct 1 2017.

My next projects:
1.assemble stormurge for subassembly painting. (Doing during lunch breaks at work)
2. paint 6 crisis suites (as practice)
3. Paint stormsurge
4. Paint darkstrider,
5. Paint 10 pathfinders.
Target date: December 31 2017

For motivation here is a video from a guy I'm subscribed to who I think is legit:
https://youtu.be/XVzwbjVxK34

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Oct 03 2017 06:50

Here's mine then!

Project start: October 4th
- 16 Fire Warriors w/ Pulse Rifles
- 6 Gun Drones

Target Date: November 2nd

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Oct 03 2017 08:04

I'm pretty much in the same boat!

My local community has been helping out with group painting sessions and events in the ilk of "a tale of 4 warlords" to try and stoke interest and motivation.

Since this is in line with what I'm currently doing, I'll add my lot into this!

Sooooo... in my painting list so far:

5-10x Eldar wraithguard and 1x hemlock wraithfighter (Target 31 Oct)
10x breachers + drone turret and 1x Barracuda AX-5-2 (Target 25 Nov)

Good luck everyone!
Ka'ash Sept

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Oct 04 2017 12:32

Heh....I'll join you guys once I know which Sept I'm going for. Just a matter of months before we get our Codex now. :D

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#10 » Oct 04 2017 11:48

Awesome to have you all aboard!
And yes, I forgot to mention, but please show your progress. :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Oct 04 2017 06:34

Onmyou wrote:Awesome to have you all aboard!
And yes, I forgot to mention, but please show your progress. :D

Sounds like a plan. I'll put a progress picture in here too every Sunday when I update my Project Log!

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Oct 05 2017 07:54

Tau'fann -
This just came cross my tumblr page this morning, so I had to share it. One of the guys I follow is the BL author Robbie MacNiven posted this to inspire himself to finish his hobby projects. (He plays WH40K too) Shia LeBouf does the new Games Workshop Ad :P

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Oct 07 2017 02:45

Update: stormsurge is subassembled and primed.

Nextsteps:
2. paint 6 crisis suites (as practice)
3. Paint stormsurge and finish assembly
(Edit: adding in a commander I primed on sprue)
4. Paint darkstrider,
5. Paint 10 pathfinders.
Target date: December 31 2017

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#14 » Oct 08 2017 09:12

I just finished the most boring step for my stealth suits: base color + wash. It's dark grey so it will probably just be dark spots in a picture. I'll show it off after some more work.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Oct 08 2017 11:49

Here's my progress as of this week!

Next steps:

- Finish 5x Fire Warriors
- Magnetetize the 6x Gun Drones to their stands
- Basecoat the 6x Gun Drones

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Oct 15 2017 07:23

Hokay, here's my progress - 5 wraithguard

Up next, Hemlock Wraithfighter + bonus Wraithlord! And then it's back to T'au! :)
Ka'ash Sept

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#17 » Oct 15 2017 03:01

Riptide
Barracuda
1 x DF
3 x HH
2 x SR

It's going to be a long winter ;)

All now primed and ready for camouflage...

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Oct 16 2017 09:18

Checking in again!

Next up is those six Drones, the basecoats on the primed Fire Warriors, and everyone's bases!

Return to “Common Workbench”