Onmyou's Motivation Service

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Onmyou's Motivation Service

Post#109 » Nov 23 2017 01:18

Interesting take on the stealth camo! The more I look, the more I like :)
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

DancinHobo
Shas

Post#110 » Nov 23 2017 06:39

n1md4 wrote:Interesting take on the stealth camo! The more I look, the more I like :)

Thanks! It is quite tedious to do so I’m glad these are currently my last stealth suits.

overthebrinkgames
Shas

Post#111 » Nov 23 2017 11:25

I bought my first Tau units second hand in September and they were a little rough. I have since been working on restoring them to a respectable level. I joined this forum less than 2 weeks ago and I'm glad I did! This thread is exactly the thing I've been both doing and needing! For both the inspiration and the community. If it's alright, I'd like to share a bit of my journey into 40k, so here goes:
Here is a quick before picture

This original lot included:
50ish Firewarriors (Old Models), 2 Broadsides, Commander Farsight, 9 Crisis Suits(Old Models), 1 Devilfish, 1 Skyray(with all its hatches and doors missing), 1 Riptide, and a bunch of Drones.

Then I bought a second lot, which included:
6 Crisis Suits (New Models), 20 Firewarriors (New Models), 2 Broadsides, Ethereal, Cadre Fireblade, Commander Crisis suit, 2 Hammerheads, 1 Devilfish, 6 Stealth Suits (only 4 compete, 2 missing arms and faces), 1 Riptide and 10 pathfinders.
Luckily with this lot, some spare sprues and bits came with.
I do not have a picture of this second lot unfortunately, but individual pics to follow later.

And in these past 2 1/2 months, I've finished 30 Strike Team Firewarriors, 20 Breachers (made from the 2nd lot guys), 2 broadsides, 1 devilfish (used the hatchless one and made a "display piece" with it), 2 hammerheads, some drones, 10 Pathfinders and the cadre fireblade.
It's funny, after painting for a solid 2 months my skills have improved, and I'm tempted to go back and repaint the guys I first started with! But I reason I should keep plowing ahead with the rest of my army.

My first 20 strikers and broadsides were my first paint jobs, and they're a little rougher compared to what I'm doing now. But here is a snapshot of my army from a month ago:
And Broadsides
Before
After

Here is my "open view" devilfish, that had no hatches so I made an "internal view".
I used some really damaged firewarriors as scenic casualties. The first lot of units I bought had a lot of badly glued models with caked on paint, and some models were not salvageable.

Here is a my pathfinders, which is one of the more recent units I painted. With these guys I felt I had a "breakthrough" with my painting skill level, getting things much neater and tidier.
And a close up

Well, that's all for now I guess. I post some stuff to my instagram (overthebrinkgames) if anyone is interested, but it's much of the same pictures.

All the best everyone!

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#112 » Nov 24 2017 05:30

Really impressive salvaging work man. I think I would have gave up right away seeing the state of those minis. That's why I never buy second-hand. Congrats man!

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#113 » Nov 25 2017 11:39

That's pretty sweet with the Firewarriors in the vechicle. I may copy that idea. I also like the stealth suit idea.

As for me I finally finished a single project:

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#114 » Nov 26 2017 08:10

Great job everybody!

overthebrinkgames' scavenged and saved miniatures look fantastic!
Also DancinHobo, your stealth suit idea looks really nice! I could imagine these guys literally disappearing within some terrain pieces.

While my goal wasn't that big or demanding I am still really happy with my result. I managed to finish my team leader and
even another warrior for my first six man strike team.
Now I've got to come up with new projects... what nex :-?
Cheers!
Nix

DancinHobo
Shas

Post#115 » Nov 26 2017 10:06

Here is my work from the last few days. Ethreal. Firblade and 5 stealth suits. Not pictured is 4 gun drones and 2 shielded missile drones.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#116 » Nov 26 2017 10:47

Update as of 11/26/17:

So, I'm still out of town, but I'll be back soon. Can't take any pictures at the moment but I'll have pictures of my finished deadline models by December 2nd!

Here's what I'll be working on for the remainder of the year:

- 3x Fire Warrior Shas'ui
- 8x Fire Warriors
- 4x Gun Drones
- 4x Shield Drones
- 1x Fireblade
- 3x Stealthsuits
- 1x Homing Beacon
- 7x Gun Drones

Then, in 2018, it's on to Commanders, XV8s, and tanks!
Last edited by Arka0415 on Dec 06 2017 05:21, edited 1 time in total.

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#117 » Nov 27 2017 05:07

niXon I really like your clean paint scheme. How are you gonna paint the bases to go with them?

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#118 » Nov 27 2017 05:29

Haechi wrote:niXon I really like your clean paint scheme. How are you gonna paint the bases to go with them?

Not quite sure yet. I am thinking of using citadel's stirland mud for basing with a heavy agrax shade and a light tan/grey drybrush to keep the base dark brown and not cause too much attention with colors.
Cheers!
Nix

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#119 » Nov 27 2017 08:16

While I was deliberating over my next Tau project to paint :? , I primed some Asuryani minis:

Not the clearest of pictures but there are the following

- Autarch with reaper launcher
- Warlock with singing spear
- Rangers (2 squads of 5)

My target for these is the end of the year.
Ka'ash Sept

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#120 » Nov 28 2017 09:06

Alirght, I need to field Darkstrider in a tournament and the official mini is digusting so I made one for myself and gave him a sex change haha.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#121 » Nov 28 2017 05:18

Haechi, I love what you did/do with you army. Including women is cool. I wanna steal your idea :)

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#122 » Nov 28 2017 07:57

Lostroninsoul wrote:Haechi, I love what you did/do with you army. Including women is cool. I wanna steal your idea :)

Steal away my friend!

overthebrinkgames
Shas

Post#123 » Nov 29 2017 12:41

Hey Haechi, what torso did you use for your female darkstrider, and hair? Your design is very similar to my mechanized tau division emblem!

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#124 » Nov 29 2017 05:40

overthebrinkgames wrote:Hey Haechi, what torso did you use for your female darkstrider, and hair? Your design is very similar to my mechanized tau division emblem!

The Torsos are from Zealot Miniature "kadesh" range. The hair is from bits of Sisters of Silence.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#125 » Nov 29 2017 08:52

Seeing as I missed over two weeks of November, I'm making a new goal: more time, but also more models! Here's my new goal:

Deadline: December 25th, 2017

4x Shield Drones
8x Fire Warriors
1x Fire Warrior Shas'ui
1x Cadre Fireblade
3x Stealthsuits
1x Homing Beacon
6x Gun Drones
1x Marker Drone

Here's everybody lined up and waiting to begin!

overthebrinkgames
Shas

Post#126 » Nov 29 2017 10:52

Haechi wrote:The Torsos are from Zealot Miniature "kadesh" range. The hair is from bits of Sisters of Silence.

Thank's Haechi! I was considering converting an old daemonette, or dissecting a Reaper Mini, or even sculpting my own out of milliput. The Icon of my division is a "Matriarch of Battle" emblem, and I really wanted a female stand-in for a cadre fireblade or ethereal. You just opened another door of possibilities for me, so thank you!
This is the "pinup" I painted on some hammerheads.

Return to “Common Workbench”