replacement/alternative Drone disc's

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

replacement/alternative Drone disc's

Post#1 » Oct 10 2017 05:31

So I'm a bit dissapointed that we get bits for all 3 the drone types except the disc part. I do not like to magnetize that stuff to swap out. But rather would like to build them up completely.

Are there any decent alternatives to the drone discs available?

I did see one link (www.reddogminis.com) where there was a "tech shield" part that could be used, but I didn't like the aesthetic of it and want a desgin closer to the original.

Thanks for any suggestions.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: replacement/alternative Drone disc's

Post#2 » Oct 10 2017 08:05

I managed to get a load of discs both new and used from eBay. It is worth keeping your eyes open as you never know when you may be lucky ;)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Oct 10 2017 08:31

El'mo wrote:I managed to get a load of discs both new and used from eBay. It is worth keeping your eyes open as you never know when you may be lucky ;)

This is what I do too. The Tau drone chassis is so iconic, and (usually) easy to find online, I don't think alternatives are really that necessary, unless you want to go for a different aesthetic of course.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 10 2017 08:56

El'mo wrote:I managed to get a load of discs both new and used from eBay. It is worth keeping your eyes open as you never know when you may be lucky ;)

I'll have a look around, though it surprises me that there are any (without the rest of the drone parts).. I'll have to dig up my old ebay account then, haven't used that for years.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Oct 10 2017 11:42

A lot of people are selling full drones, as well as some drones on sprue, but the real gems are the bits piles.

I spent $100 and got 72 Drone tops, 2 full Recon Drones, 10 Pathfinders, 15 Fire Warriors, and 30 Kroot from one big pile of bits.

Unfortunately this also makes me "that guy" in my gaming circle due to excessive drones, so beware that.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Oct 10 2017 07:15

QimRas wrote:Unfortunately this also makes me "that guy" in my gaming circle due to excessive drones, so beware that.

Off topic, but I've been thinking about that issue recently. If someone has 72 Imperial Guard, or 72 Necron Warriors, they'd be an infantry player. If someone has 72 Gun Drones, they'd be "that guy". Drones are people too! :D

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Oct 10 2017 08:37

Arka0415 wrote:
QimRas wrote:Unfortunately this also makes me "that guy" in my gaming circle due to excessive drones, so beware that.

Off topic, but I've been thinking about that issue recently. If someone has 72 Imperial Guard, or 72 Necron Warriors, they'd be an infantry player. If someone has 72 Gun Drones, they'd be "that guy". Drones are people too! :D

Actually, in my case its the fact I will use upward of 20 Shield Drones in a 100 PL list. It is capable of shutting down all damage for a good two turns or more. I laugh off alpha strikes.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Oct 10 2017 09:08

QimRas wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Off topic, but I've been thinking about that issue recently. If someone has 72 Imperial Guard, or 72 Necron Warriors, they'd be an infantry player. If someone has 72 Gun Drones, they'd be "that guy". Drones are people too! :D

Actually, in my case its the fact I will use upward of 20 Shield Drones in a 100 PL list. It is capable of shutting down all damage for a good two turns or more. I laugh off alpha strikes.

This is something I've been thinking about trying too. How do you generally go about using the Shield Drones?

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#9 » Oct 11 2017 12:13

Stay on topic...

If you wish to discuss drone tactics then start a new thread or use one of the already existing ones.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Oct 11 2017 05:11

El'mo wrote:Stay on topic...

If you wish to discuss drone tactics then start a new thread or use one of the already existing ones.

Sorry, you are right. Arka, I'll PM you.

StealthKnight, ebay seems the best case. I know there are a few on shapeways as well, but they seem less cost effective.

Return to “Common Workbench”