What to do with an XV88-2

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
ROFLTau
Shas

What to do with an XV88-2

Post#1 » Oct 28 2017 09:53

(new to the hobby and to T'au) I recently acquired an xv88-2, the old Forgeworld model. I like the sculpt more than I thought I would, especially the legs, which I would love to use for a Commander, for added customization. Problem is, I understand they don't make this model anymore. Should I feel bad about cannibalizing what is essentially a collectors piece?
On a related note, is it possible to magnetize the arms/shoulders to swap out the weapons loadout, to bring it up to date with 8th, or is Forgeworld resin not good to drill?

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: What to do with an XV88-2

Post#2 » Oct 28 2017 10:18

I bought one of these quite a while ago and have been trying to think what to do with it - whether to just build it as is or see if I can magnetise it into something different but I had not thought about turning it into a commander model :smile:

I have had no problems drilling FW models for magnets and I would not be worried about converting it unless you are planning to keep it in original packaging to sell to a collector later ;)

I may have to go and have a look at it again...

The Jetpack will need a lot of work as there are no jump exhausts

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Oct 29 2017 03:44

If you are worried about canibalising the original, you can copy the pieces you want for conversion by making bluestuff mold and filling it with brownstuff/greenstuff or preferably a mixture of both, that's what I'm gonna do anyway for my conversions once my bluestuff arrives

ROFLTau
Shas

Post#4 » Oct 29 2017 08:22

If there's a cheaper way to do that than buying a plastic injection molding machine, I'm all ears.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Oct 29 2017 10:23

A silicon mould would be much more detailed than a bluestuff mould (you can get a resin casting kit on Amazon for c.£25), working out much cheaper overall as you save on greenstuff too... :crafty:

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Oct 31 2017 11:04

Can't see how silicon mold would be better, actually afaik it's just worse especially as it takes ages to dry, if you work the bluestuff properly you should get the detail just fine and it's ready in no time

also afaik you can't make twosided mold with silicon easily, where with bluestuff you just slap new piece on the old one and they separate just fine and hold the shape

on another note you can use single piece of bluestuff for all your molds whi makes it quite economical especially.as you can fill the mold with pretty much anything that isnt hot

no injection machine needed also, you just push green/brownstuff into both sides of the mold, checking through the.mold to see if you filled.the detail then putting the molds togeder and leaving it dry
Last edited by Beerson on Oct 31 2017 11:09, edited 1 time in total.

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Oct 31 2017 11:08

I sold mine, the only one I still have is an assembled (but unpainted) one which has broken railguns (they snapped, because thin warped resin in a foam box for years).

Still have the parts, but it would be a nightmare to fix and I doubt anyone would want to buy one with dodgy railguns. It will likely just sit unused until it gets binned one day in the far future.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Oct 31 2017 11:13

PeeJ wrote:I sold mine, the only one I still have is an assembled (but unpainted) one which has broken railguns (they snapped, because thin warped resin in a foam box for years).

Still have the parts, but it would be a nightmare to fix and I doubt anyone would want to buy one with dodgy railguns. It will likely just sit unused until it gets binned one day in the far future.

You coul pass it as a xv8 commander or just make new railguns that don't look like something you pulled out of trash when you pull them straight from the box, I'm going to do that.for my 4th ed broadside

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Oct 31 2017 12:03

Beerson wrote:...on another note you can use single piece of bluestuff for all your molds whi makes it quite economical especially.as you can fill the mold with pretty much anything that isnt hot...
The actual mould is more expensive if you use silicon, but resin is much cheaper than greenstuff. The mould does take time to prepare, but two piece moulds are far more accurate in silicon than in bluestuff.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Nov 01 2017 08:58

Ironsky wrote: The actual mould is more expensive if you use silicon, but resin is much cheaper than greenstuff.

this means that casting in silicon is just overall more expensive, since you can fill bluestuff with resin as well

Ironsky wrote:The mould does take time to prepare, but two piece moulds are far more accurate in silicon than in bluestuff.

well as I was saying, depends how you work it, I can't see why silicon would be more accurate, I have worked with it and looking at PLASMO's video I would say you can get better detail with bluestuff, but I will see once I have it, maybe I'll do a comparison later, but again I would rather file off some overhangs then wait ages for the mold to be done.

the video in question: https://youtu.be/mVZLXLaidjQ

ROFLTau
Shas

Post#11 » Nov 01 2017 12:03

I watched that video shortly after the first couple of replies, and it seems to work, though I haven't any blue stuff yet. Couldn't find a good video of silicon molding.
Any opinions on liquid bluestuff?

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Nov 01 2017 04:35

He does get better results than I've managed with bluestuff, I started with silicon moulds before discovering bluestuff, so haven't really bothered with anything more than a press mould, but it does look worth a try...

More on topic I have somewhere seen XV88-2s sawn in half across the torso (removing the back portion), then sticking the front piece to XV8 Jet packs, which could work as an XV8 conversion?

(Edited for more topic specific content)

ROFLTau
Shas

Post#13 » Nov 01 2017 06:49

That's something I've considered, but as I only have one, and am unlikely to get another, I will probably stick with molding. As soon as I can find a good resin.
( Should this thread go into another category, or is it fine here? We've bounced around a few topics now)

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Nov 03 2017 03:57

just got my bluestuff shipment and tried it out, its amazing, better then I thought

if you work it properly, which is suprisingly easy, you get all the small detail (tried molding drone saucer and hand with rifle so far)

the trick is to put in cast iron pot and keep the water around boiling point, then its extremely easy to work the stuff and push it all the way into deep receses just with your thumb, or make it copy small lines on gun or top drone part

I've done a test mold without even caring much about the detail and it came out perfect, the only problem is that I wasn't thinking about how I will fill it and the top part (the part of drone where you attach antena) is too thin and thus cant properly keep the shape, so I gotta do it right the next time

I will provide photos as soon as I get my hands on something better then my beat up old phone to take em with

Return to “Common Workbench”