Tau Flyer Dimensions

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#1 » Oct 30 2017 12:04

I'm trying to see which flyers can fit in my current case, and which I'll probably need to get a different case for.

If you own one, would someone please measure these flyers and get their length, width, and height at the longest, widest, and tallest points? I'm looking for dimensions on the:

- Sun Shark Bomber
- Barracuda w/ Swiftstrike Railgun (new)

Thanks!

Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#2 » Oct 30 2017 04:24

If no one else has let you know by tonight I'll measure them up :D
Just a note; the Barracuda comes pre-slotted for magnets, so the weapon choice shouldn't really matter on the dimensions (unless you glue the railgun in ofcourse, which I would suggest against ;) )

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Oct 30 2017 05:13

Jhul'vol wrote:If no one else has let you know by tonight I'll measure them up :D

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Jhul'vol wrote:Just a note; the Barracuda comes pre-slotted for magnets, so the weapon choice shouldn't really matter on the dimensions (unless you glue the railgun in ofcourse, which I would suggest against ;)

Fancy! I guess that would make it smaller then, right? Since you could take the gun out before you put it in the case.

Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Oct 31 2017 01:32

Yes, makes it way easier to take along.
From the top of my head you can magnetize:
The sponsons with guns
The missile pods under the wings
The cabins for the seeker missiles (option closed and option open with seekers)
Landing gear (option extended gear and option closed)
For some reason the center rear engine :P

To be fair I completely forgot to measure them yesterday, as my girlfriend was pretty ill I was spending most of my time on her :roll:
I put an alarm on my phone this time, won't forget ;)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 31 2017 01:39

Jhul'vol wrote:Yes, makes it way easier to take along.
From the top of my head you can magnetize:
The sponsons with guns
The missile pods under the wings
The cabins for the seeker missiles (option closed and option open with seekers)
Landing gear (option extended gear and option closed)
For some reason the center rear engine :P

Very cool! I'm looking forward to buying one even more now :D

Jhul'vol wrote:To be fair I completely forgot to measure them yesterday, as my girlfriend was pretty ill I was spending most of my time on her :roll:
I put an alarm on my phone this time, won't forget ;)

Take your time! I hope she's feeling better.

Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Oct 31 2017 11:39

Okay, I did some basic measurements:
The sunshark is just little of 8 inches/20 cm wide, it's 6 inches/15 cm deep and approx 1.5 inch / 4 ~ 4.5 cm high.
For the Barracuda it's 9 inches / 22.5 cm wide, 7 inches / 17.5 cm deep and 2 inches / 5 cm high. The Barracuda body itself is closer to just over one inch, but the two fins at the back are quite high.
This would be without armaments or landing gear.

Hope this helps, if you need more measurements, let me know :)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Oct 31 2017 06:42

Jhul'vol wrote:Okay, I did some basic measurements:
The sunshark is just little of 8 inches/20 cm wide, it's 6 inches/15 cm deep and approx 1.5 inch / 4 ~ 4.5 cm high.
For the Barracuda it's 9 inches / 22.5 cm wide, 7 inches / 17.5 cm deep and 2 inches / 5 cm high. The Barracuda body itself is closer to just over one inch, but the two fins at the back are quite high.
This would be without armaments or landing gear.

Hope this helps, if you need more measurements, let me know :)

Thank you very much! So, if I have this right, the Barracuda is pretty compact, except for its back fins? And the Sun Shark, on the other hand, is smaller but has much more volume?

Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Nov 01 2017 01:56

Pretty much.
If you look up pictures from the barracuda you'll see the shape, most of the body is more or less flat with the same thickness, getting a bit thinner out to the wings.
Because both the main gun and the secondary guns are magnetized you can take them out, taking a bit of height away from the wings as well.
So the Barracuda takes more flat space, but it's easier to put something on top of it or beneath it, as you'll have more room.

The sunshark gets most of it's height from the center body and rear wings, which is a good thing, as that sort of protects the bomb generator, which is quite fragile.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Nov 01 2017 04:30

Jhul'vol wrote:If you look up pictures from the barracuda you'll see the shape, most of the body is more or less flat with the same thickness, getting a bit thinner out to the wings.
Because both the main gun and the secondary guns are magnetized you can take them out, taking a bit of height away from the wings as well.
So the Barracuda takes more flat space, but it's easier to put something on top of it or beneath it, as you'll have more room.

The sunshark gets most of it's height from the center body and rear wings, which is a good thing, as that sort of protects the bomb generator, which is quite fragile.

So, I just measured the open space left in my case. I have 32cm of width, 19cm of length, and 7.5cm of height worth of foam. That could definitely fit one of those flyers, right? It seems like either could fit perfectly, which is pretty cool!

Return to “Common Workbench”