Tau Flyer Dimensions

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3134

Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#1 » Oct 30 2017 12:04

I'm trying to see which flyers can fit in my current case, and which I'll probably need to get a different case for.

If you own one, would someone please measure these flyers and get their length, width, and height at the longest, widest, and tallest points? I'm looking for dimensions on the:

- Sun Shark Bomber
- Barracuda w/ Swiftstrike Railgun (new)

Thanks!

User avatar
Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 55

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#2 » Oct 30 2017 04:24

If no one else has let you know by tonight I'll measure them up :D
Just a note; the Barracuda comes pre-slotted for magnets, so the weapon choice shouldn't really matter on the dimensions (unless you glue the railgun in ofcourse, which I would suggest against ;) )

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3134

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#3 » Oct 30 2017 05:13

Jhul'vol wrote:If no one else has let you know by tonight I'll measure them up :D

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Jhul'vol wrote:Just a note; the Barracuda comes pre-slotted for magnets, so the weapon choice shouldn't really matter on the dimensions (unless you glue the railgun in ofcourse, which I would suggest against ;)

Fancy! I guess that would make it smaller then, right? Since you could take the gun out before you put it in the case.

User avatar
Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 55

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#4 » Oct 31 2017 01:32

Yes, makes it way easier to take along.
From the top of my head you can magnetize:
The sponsons with guns
The missile pods under the wings
The cabins for the seeker missiles (option closed and option open with seekers)
Landing gear (option extended gear and option closed)
For some reason the center rear engine :P

To be fair I completely forgot to measure them yesterday, as my girlfriend was pretty ill I was spending most of my time on her :roll:
I put an alarm on my phone this time, won't forget ;)

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3134

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#5 » Oct 31 2017 01:39

Jhul'vol wrote:Yes, makes it way easier to take along.
From the top of my head you can magnetize:
The sponsons with guns
The missile pods under the wings
The cabins for the seeker missiles (option closed and option open with seekers)
Landing gear (option extended gear and option closed)
For some reason the center rear engine :P

Very cool! I'm looking forward to buying one even more now :D

Jhul'vol wrote:To be fair I completely forgot to measure them yesterday, as my girlfriend was pretty ill I was spending most of my time on her :roll:
I put an alarm on my phone this time, won't forget ;)

Take your time! I hope she's feeling better.

User avatar
Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 55

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#6 » Oct 31 2017 11:39

Okay, I did some basic measurements:
The sunshark is just little of 8 inches/20 cm wide, it's 6 inches/15 cm deep and approx 1.5 inch / 4 ~ 4.5 cm high.
For the Barracuda it's 9 inches / 22.5 cm wide, 7 inches / 17.5 cm deep and 2 inches / 5 cm high. The Barracuda body itself is closer to just over one inch, but the two fins at the back are quite high.
This would be without armaments or landing gear.

Hope this helps, if you need more measurements, let me know :)

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3134

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#7 » Oct 31 2017 06:42

Jhul'vol wrote:Okay, I did some basic measurements:
The sunshark is just little of 8 inches/20 cm wide, it's 6 inches/15 cm deep and approx 1.5 inch / 4 ~ 4.5 cm high.
For the Barracuda it's 9 inches / 22.5 cm wide, 7 inches / 17.5 cm deep and 2 inches / 5 cm high. The Barracuda body itself is closer to just over one inch, but the two fins at the back are quite high.
This would be without armaments or landing gear.

Hope this helps, if you need more measurements, let me know :)

Thank you very much! So, if I have this right, the Barracuda is pretty compact, except for its back fins? And the Sun Shark, on the other hand, is smaller but has much more volume?

User avatar
Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 55

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#8 » Nov 01 2017 01:56

Pretty much.
If you look up pictures from the barracuda you'll see the shape, most of the body is more or less flat with the same thickness, getting a bit thinner out to the wings.
Because both the main gun and the secondary guns are magnetized you can take them out, taking a bit of height away from the wings as well.
So the Barracuda takes more flat space, but it's easier to put something on top of it or beneath it, as you'll have more room.

The sunshark gets most of it's height from the center body and rear wings, which is a good thing, as that sort of protects the bomb generator, which is quite fragile.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3134

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#9 » Nov 01 2017 04:30

Jhul'vol wrote:If you look up pictures from the barracuda you'll see the shape, most of the body is more or less flat with the same thickness, getting a bit thinner out to the wings.
Because both the main gun and the secondary guns are magnetized you can take them out, taking a bit of height away from the wings as well.
So the Barracuda takes more flat space, but it's easier to put something on top of it or beneath it, as you'll have more room.

The sunshark gets most of it's height from the center body and rear wings, which is a good thing, as that sort of protects the bomb generator, which is quite fragile.


So, I just measured the open space left in my case. I have 32cm of width, 19cm of length, and 7.5cm of height worth of foam. That could definitely fit one of those flyers, right? It seems like either could fit perfectly, which is pretty cool!

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3134

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#10 » Jan 03 2018 02:37

Jhul'vol wrote:Okay, I did some basic measurements:
The sunshark is just little of 8 inches/20 cm wide, it's 6 inches/15 cm deep and approx 1.5 inch / 4 ~ 4.5 cm high.
For the Barracuda it's 9 inches / 22.5 cm wide, 7 inches / 17.5 cm deep and 2 inches / 5 cm high.

Coming back to this thread- it seems like the Sun Shark is pretty thin. If you add the Missile Pod on top of the tail, how much taller does it become?

User avatar
Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 55

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#11 » Jan 03 2018 03:42

I don't know to be fair.
I really disliked the turret on top, so I mounted the missile pods beneath the wings :P

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3134

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#12 » Jan 03 2018 03:49

Jhul'vol wrote:I don't know to be fair.
I really disliked the turret on top, so I mounted the missile pods beneath the wings :P

That's funny- I was thinking about doing the same thing! That's why I asked about the height of the model.

It looks to me that the best place to mount those Missile Pods would be between the Interceptor Drones and the "bend" in the wing, near the tip. Where did you mount yours?

User avatar
Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 55

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#13 » Jan 03 2018 04:30

I've put them between the drones and the engines, with the inner side of the pods around the middle of the vents on top of the wing.

I'm not sure if the messages are open to see for everyone, but hopefully you can see it in the following image:
Image
Image

It's the army I took to the Dutch GT in November, including the Sunshark.
If it doesn't work, let me know, I'll get it on Imgur to link it.
Last edited by Jhul'vol on Jan 03 2018 05:56, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3134

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#14 » Jan 03 2018 05:12

Jhul'vol wrote:I've put them between the drones and the engines, with the inner side of the pods around the middle of the vents on top of the wing.

Makes sense! Looking at the 360-degree view on the GW website, there doesn't look like there's much room to mount the missiles. If you fit them in though, then that's what I'll do too!

Jhul'vol wrote:It's the army I took to the Dutch GT in November, including the Sunshark.

Beautiful army, and a very constant paint scheme. I can see the image, but your FB account and name are also visible- are you okay with linking your public FB profile to your ATT account?

User avatar
Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 55

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#15 » Jan 03 2018 05:39

I'll get the link off now you've seen the idea.
Most image sites are blocked on my work network, so I'll update the post with the original pictures later tonight for reference to other people.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3134

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#16 » Jan 03 2018 05:50

Jhul'vol wrote:I'll get the link off now you've seen the idea.
Most image sites are blocked on my work network, so I'll update the post with the original pictures later tonight for reference to other people.

Gotcha- Imgur will probably work best for embedding images into posts.

And by the way, if it's not too much of a hassle, could you post a picture of the undersides of the wings of your Sun Shark? Thanks!

User avatar
Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 55

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#17 » Jan 03 2018 05:55

Arka0415 wrote:
Jhul'vol wrote:I'll get the link off now you've seen the idea.
Most image sites are blocked on my work network, so I'll update the post with the original pictures later tonight for reference to other people.

Gotcha- Imgur will probably work best for embedding images into posts.

And by the way, if it's not too much of a hassle, could you post a picture of the undersides of the wings of your Sun Shark? Thanks!


Ofcourse! Currently use Imgur as well, makes it easy to upload from my phone :D
The underside will be tonight, don't have any images of that one at the moment. Updating the other images into the other post now. Got some time during my break ;)

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3134

Re: Tau Flyer Dimensions

Post#18 » Jan 03 2018 05:57

Jhul'vol wrote:Ofcourse! Currently use Imgur as well, makes it easy to upload from my phone :D
The underside will be tonight, don't have any images of that one at the moment. Updating the other images into the other post now. Got some time during my break ;)

Thanks! Please take your time.

Return to “Common Workbench”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests