How do you transport/case your drones?

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

How do you transport/case your drones?

Post#1 » Nov 05 2017 08:39

My drones are magnetized, so they can be easily removed from their stands. That being said however, I'm having a hard time finding room for them in my case.

I have a Sabol Army Transport for regular model-carrying: http://www.saboldesigns.net/armytransport.html

I find it pretty easy to fit in the tiny drones. However, I can't figure out a good way of fitting all of the stands in, without wasting a lot of space.

Does anyone have a clever way of fitting their drones and stands in their case?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: How do you transport/case your drones?

Post#2 » Nov 05 2017 08:59

I honestly just put them in an egg carton. I'm not too bothered about them getting damaged in there since they don't really have much to break. ^^

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Nov 05 2017 09:48

Panzer wrote:I honestly just put them in an egg carton. I'm not too bothered about them getting damaged in there since they don't really have much to break. ^^

I'd love to do something like that! However, I live in a major metropolitan area and public transport is much easier than driving, so I can't really carry too many egg cartons around!

DancinHobo
Shas

Post#4 » Nov 05 2017 10:02

Arka0415 wrote:
Panzer wrote:I honestly just put them in an egg carton. I'm not too bothered about them getting damaged in there since they don't really have much to break. ^^

I'd love to do something like that! However, I live in a major metropolitan area and public transport is much easier than driving, so I can't really carry too many egg cartons around!

Put the cartons in a bigger box. All my models are in multiple small boxes in a bigger box

Nooch'un
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 05 2017 10:07

I also live in a metro transit based area, for bus travel ive started buying old small toolboxes from socket sets and stuff from thrift stores and lining them with foam, works great ive even dropped one during a busy tram boarding and nothing was damaged hope it helps
https://imgur.com/user/SpiltNooch
(Elsy'eir Sept Honour Division) [WIP]

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 05 2017 10:13

DancinHobo wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

Put the cartons in a bigger box. All my models are in multiple small boxes in a bigger box

^ this
All my models are in a big hardplastic toolcase. Including the egg carton. ^^

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Nov 05 2017 10:35

Could be interesting to make an egg carton-shaped holding frame, then put that frame inside one of the Army Transport foam trays. That could be a simple fix.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Nov 05 2017 10:39

My drones are some of the smallest footprint in my carrying cases for me actually. My drones are magnetized as well so for the drones I take them off the base and put them into a single man slot. Then for the bases I have an army transport case with some deeper pick and pluck foam. I've removed foam in some otherwise wasted space and then I drop all my bases in there. They can nestle in really well for not much space.
All empires fall you just have to know where to push

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Nov 06 2017 03:41

I made a $3 dollar carrying case. I bought a cupcake holder at dollar tree, used paper to cover the holes,and made a 36 square divider out of foam board. I use it for infantry and drones. To get the units out I just pull out the divider

AenarIT
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Nov 10 2017 02:48

I placed magnets under every base in order to transport my models easily with no foam. I am waiting to receive an A-Case+ I got on kickstarter, but for now I use old metal ginger cookie boxes. The models sit very tightly and I can flip/shake/drop the box safely.

As for the Drones, they are not glued to the stand but they are magnetized as well (to switch the two halves as needed). I plan on magnetizing the bases+stand as well as soon as I base and paint them.

tl;dr: magnets.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Nov 14 2017 10:56

I swapped out the flayingstand bases for normal black 32mm bases and magentized those so they would stick to the rubber sheeting I used in plastic carry boxes.. not very space efficiant but works well.
You can even stick the rubber sheeting on the sides of the box to create more "sticking" room for your models.

I have been eyeing out that A-Case also, but a bit to expensive for me at the moment

Return to “Common Workbench”