molding with bluestuff pt. 1, drones

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Beerson
Shas'Saal

molding with bluestuff pt. 1, drones

Post#1 » Nov 12 2017 06:13

So few weeks ago I was looking into buying some more drone models, and find out that it's the most expensive unit to buy in our index ($ per point) and that there are really no good options for me even with ebay, thus I decided to make my own drones, molding a converted version(s) of GW's drones as it wouldn't make me feel so bad as just copying the original and would make it wayy easier to produce uniform covenrsions then converting the expensive saucers one by one

for now, to get experience with molding and to get some drone bodies to cut up, I did some copying, now I still have not perfected the method as I needed to move up to molding other things to practice, but the results are suprisingly good, and I could pass most of them as second hand GW model on the table

I have to be honest and say that most of the defects on the drones are due to me badly working the epoxy into the mold, I have gotten almost perfect result (the drone is just a bit thicker) from putting the right amount in and tightening the mold in a vice, but I will have to come up with some method of working whole mold in a vice, not just parts of it as that is bound to give me inconsistencies

some pictures:
drones straight off the mold, material is 1:1.5(or so) greenstuff/bronwstuff mixture

molds, later found out it's way easier to just cut off excess bluestuff from bottom piece of mold which gets me more molding material and also sharp mold edges for faster fitting

the first drone I made, painted up with white basecoat and a bit of "tau grease" (my agrax earthshade + eshin grey and abbadon black mixture) for receses

detail of saucer surface, the exhaust needs some cleaning up with sharp tip of a file, but the recess is about as deep and detailed as Gw's

working with bluestuff was suprisingly easy and fast, I just boiled some water in cast iron pot, let the bluestuff warm up there, worked it to pieces about the size of mold, heated up again and made bottom parts of molds just pushing the drone into the bluestuff and making sure it seals around the edges, about 5 minutes to let the mold cool and then slapped another piece over it, working it with my thumbs to get into recesses and pushing it against table to get flat surfaces on both sides of the mold

around another 7 minutes to let the mold cool and I could take the piece out and start filling it

a nice bonus is that if you mess up, you can file off parts, put some more epoxy on top of the parts you need fixed and put it in mold again, not having to throw away the faulty piece

another bonus is once the bluestuff is cold, you can easily cut it, making a mold for liquid epoxy if you choose to go that way, or just let the molded object have a bit of overhang material in case you want to sculpt something there

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Re: molding with bluestuff pt. 1, drones

Post#2 » Nov 12 2017 11:59

I am a fan of blue stuff. I made 17 cyclic ion blasters, a second cannon bit for my magnetized storm surge, and a few other projects. :)

zawyvern
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 23 2017 11:10

I started doing the same, not bluestuff but a different brand. The high detail areas I had trouble with I had to experiment to get crisper detail. The water I used was a bit hotter and I left it in a bit longer than reccomended. It was almost like molasses when I took it out. I also used a lot more than I thought I needed at first. I probably used the same amount at first as your moulds. I almost doubled the amount for the bottom mould. maybe 50% more for the top.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 24 2017 05:55

zawyvern wrote:I started doing the same, not bluestuff but a different brand. The high detail areas I had trouble with I had to experiment to get crisper detail. The water I used was a bit hotter and I left it in a bit longer than reccomended. It was almost like molasses when I took it out. I also used a lot more than I thought I needed at first. I probably used the same amount at first as your moulds. I almost doubled the amount for the bottom mould. maybe 50% more for the top.

With bluestuff, if I leave it in hot water too long, I just work it into a ball an put it back to heat up again, should work with your molding stuff as well

Also using more is better especially if you are going to use vice to stop the mold from deforming under pressure, on the other hand using less helps you make more molds at the same time and thus speesing up the molding

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 02 2017 04:12

I started a little experiment to see how far can I get with molding, currenly half-way through copying XV8 bodyguard suit for my commander
The molding wasn't perfect, but instead of fixing it with bluestuff I used the bad spots to simulate battle damage, and I'm quite happy about it, gives the suit some character, the damaged parts can be seen painted in black

Return to “Common Workbench”