Longstrike with closed hatch?

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Beerson
Shas'Saal

Longstrike with closed hatch?

Post#1 » Dec 06 2017 11:54

hey, I was wondering if there is a way to represent the longstrike without actually having him sticking out of the hatch, which I personaly don't like and it doesn't make much sense either (why would you stick your head out of the armored vehicle when you don't need to and are the only one controling it)

do you have any ideas how one could properly represent him with closed hatch? I was thinking about some kind of elevated hatch or something, but I would prefer to get community advice to see what might be passable for longstrike.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Longstrike with closed hatch?

Post#2 » Dec 07 2017 12:06

Beerson wrote:hey, I was wondering if there is a way to represent the longstrike without actually having him sticking out of the hatch, which I personaly don't like and it doesn't make much sense either (why would you stick your head out of the armored vehicle when you don't need to and are the only one controling it)

do you have any ideas how one could properly represent him with closed hatch? I was thinking about some kind of elevated hatch or something, but I would prefer to get community advice to see what might be passable for longstrike.

The simplest way would be to add some nice tank markings. Some extra colored panels, maybe an alternate color scheme, something to make the tank stand out.

Or, if you can get your hands on the old "vehicle command frame" you could mount the upgrade part that looks like an advanced sensor suite, like this:

http://i44.tinypic.com/dow6ti.jpg

Miond
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Dec 07 2017 01:44

/ShamelessSelfPromotion on

You could stop by my thread for inspiration ;)
It's still in progress and I haven't had a lot of time for it lately, but I should get a fair bit done over Christmas.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Dec 07 2017 03:18

The simplest way would be to simply add some extra antennas onto the Hammerhead turret - this is a common recognition feature of command tanks in real life. Adding some stowage to the Hammerhead could similarly distinguish it, or you could look at sourcing one of the Command Vehicle upgrade sprues released for Apocalypse.

Alternatively, if you're wanting a different modelling solution, consider this idea. It states in the background that Longstrike's experimental pilot suit allows him to directly interface with the vehicle's systems. Thus, if you're confident with your modelling skills, you could try covering up the vision blocks on the cockpit and turret cupola with greenstuff, then strategically placing down some cameras or sensors (Between the various battlesuit support systems, head pieces and lenses on vehicle bits, you should be fairly spoilt for choice with lens pieces) at key points on the model in such a way that would provide all-round vision, not entirely unlike on the real life T-14.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Dec 07 2017 03:29

Kakapo42 wrote:Alternatively, if you're wanting a different modelling solution, consider this idea. It states in the background that Longstrike's experimental pilot suit allows him to directly interface with the vehicle's systems. Thus, if you're confident with your modelling skills, you could try covering up the vision blocks on the cockpit and turret cupola with greenstuff, then strategically placing down some cameras or sensors Between the various battlesuit support systems, head pieces and lenses on vehicle bits, you should be fairly spoilt for choice with lens pieces) at key points on the model in such a way that would provide all-round vision, not entirely unlike on the real life T-14.

This would be really cool, I must say. Makes you wonder why Longtrike is always hanging out of the top of his tank when it should be interfacing with the vehicle systems!

DancinHobo
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 07 2017 05:34

I invert the color scheme for my commanders. Helps for them to stand out.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 07 2017 06:19

If you want to get super creative. You can probably find some clear concave shaped plastic and cut into the front part of the tank and make a airplane-cockpit-like structure for conversion(see dancinghobo longstrike, cut into the area painted red in the hammerhead's front of the tank.) You than should be able to stick longstrike's upper half in the tank "cockpit" you created so he is visible but doesn't appear exposed

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Dec 07 2017 05:18

Well I ain't really confident about making the transparent cockpit, I think in my hands it would go very wrong easily and eve if it didn't I probably wouldn't be very happy with the result, though I totally love the idea and would like to see someone actually doing that

as for the extra/inverted markings, I allready made some extra markings around the drone holders denting some detail in copying the line of the recessed parts, but I feel that would be too "cheap" for a longstrike, I would like to make it a "tournament level" representation if you know what I mean

I really like the idea with the antenas, while it's unlikely I'd get my hands on the upgrade kit, I still have those weird tripple antena things representing multi-tracker or something for hammerhead from 4th ed, I'l try to combine them with other bits I have avaiable, probably adding some xv8 support system pieces (the "small head" piece comes in mind, whatever that one represents) to act as camera lenses as suggested

I'll be also making the hatch piece from scratch as I have lost it all those years ago and there's no hope of retrieving it anymore, so I might as well make unique one, and could use some inspiration on that part as well

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Dec 12 2017 02:01

My favourite conversion for this I've seen is abraxus' Hammerhead (Here). Unfortunately the images were on photobucket, but PeeJ has suggested a fix, which will let you see the images.

In difference to abraxus'model I would look into using the ghostkeel cockpit, as the interior detail would make modelling easier (though I don't know if size would be an issue).

Return to “Common Workbench”