TX78 Skyray Gunship

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
User avatar
melaniros
Shas'Saal
Posts: 23
Contact:

TX78 Skyray Gunship

Post#1 » Dec 09 2017 03:20

so if i buy a skyray box, can i use its parts (with magnets) to make a devilfish or hammerhead? (and use it in tournaments of course...)

i suppose that question has been answered salready but i couldn't find it...

szeszej
Shas'Saal
Posts: 51

Re: TX78 Skyray Gunship

Post#2 » Dec 09 2017 03:58

Currently there is only one box for both Hammerhead and Skyray (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ta ... ad-Gunship). You can make either one of them or with clever use of magnets on the turrent, you can make both.

It's also very easy to make this into a Devilfish:

1. Take a Burst Cannon from any other set (Crisis suits for example) and magnetize it at the front.
2. Magnetize the main cannon so that you can take it off.

This is all assuming that you're not referring to some old box of Skyray, then I don't know ;)

User avatar
melaniros
Shas'Saal
Posts: 23
Contact:

Re: TX78 Skyray Gunship

Post#3 » Dec 09 2017 04:11

cool! thank you guys !! :D

User avatar
boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 1780

Re: TX78 Skyray Gunship

Post#4 » Dec 09 2017 04:53

Actually, it's even easier than that.

Hammerhead and skyray are interchangeable even without magnets, you can simply pop out and back the turrets.
The railgun and ion cannon are also easily interchangeable without any magnets by simply not gluing the gun itself (some blue tac or whatever can help it stand properly)

The Devilfish needs the burst cannon in the center, but if you find a way to have the burst cannon sit on the turret slot, you can have all variations interchange without any magnets.

User avatar
El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El
Posts: 1627

Re: TX78 Skyray Gunship

Post#5 » Dec 10 2017 05:36

http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewt ... 18#p297218

There are photos of how I did it at the link but I need to get round to completing the text. You will get the basic idea though...

User avatar
shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 1036
Contact:

Re: TX78 Skyray Gunship

Post#6 » Dec 18 2017 03:48

boomwolf wrote:Actually, it's even easier than that.

Hammerhead and skyray are interchangeable even without magnets, you can simply pop out and back the turrets.
The railgun and ion cannon are also easily interchangeable without any magnets by simply not gluing the gun itself (some blue tac or whatever can help it stand properly)

The Devilfish needs the burst cannon in the center, but if you find a way to have the burst cannon sit on the turret slot, you can have all variations interchange without any magnets.


You can use the burst cannon from the sunshark sprue for the top of the devilfish. It forces the burst cannon to angle up a bit, but otherwise looks really good (and doesn't have the hole you'd get from using the DF burst cannon).

Cheers!

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3162

Re: TX78 Skyray Gunship

Post#7 » Dec 18 2017 08:54

El'mo wrote:http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?p=297218#p297218

There are photos of how I did it at the link but I need to get round to completing the text. You will get the basic idea though...

I'm looking to magnetize a Devilfish/Hammerhead of my own, so any further detail you can add to that guide would be great! Thanks!

User avatar
El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El
Posts: 1627

Re: TX78 Skyray Gunship

Post#8 » Dec 19 2017 12:28

I will try to write it over the xmas break but battling against a Papa Nurgle inflicted Man Flu at the moment...

User avatar
boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 1780

Re: TX78 Skyray Gunship

Post#9 » Dec 19 2017 05:27

shasocastris wrote:
boomwolf wrote:Actually, it's even easier than that.

Hammerhead and skyray are interchangeable even without magnets, you can simply pop out and back the turrets.
The railgun and ion cannon are also easily interchangeable without any magnets by simply not gluing the gun itself (some blue tac or whatever can help it stand properly)

The Devilfish needs the burst cannon in the center, but if you find a way to have the burst cannon sit on the turret slot, you can have all variations interchange without any magnets.


You can use the burst cannon from the sunshark sprue for the top of the devilfish. It forces the burst cannon to angle up a bit, but otherwise looks really good (and doesn't have the hole you'd get from using the DF burst cannon).

Cheers!



That sounds interesting, got a picture of the result by chance?

User avatar
shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 1036
Contact:

Re: TX78 Skyray Gunship

Post#10 » Dec 19 2017 08:33

boomwolf wrote:That sounds interesting, got a picture of the result by chance?

Not right now. But here are the bits I'm referring too:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-40k- ... SwWxNY0q83

Cheers!

User avatar
boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 1780

Re: TX78 Skyray Gunship

Post#11 » Dec 19 2017 09:31

Wait, are these any different from the thingy in the bottom center of the devilfish/skyray/hammer anyway?

Because by that logic, we can simply not put that round thing down there, and use it on the turret when we want a devilfish, or just keep it off when we hwhat a hammer/skyray...

User avatar
shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 1036
Contact:

Re: TX78 Skyray Gunship

Post#12 » Dec 24 2017 01:22

Yup, they are slightly different. I actually do have a picture that will make the whole thing make a bit more sense.

65

The instead of a hatch, I simply put the Sunshark burst cannon in its place. There don't have to be glued or anything, so as long as you don't also glue the smart missiles (which mine aren't), then you have a) a cool looking devilfish and b) a tank that can be a devilfish, skyray and hammerhead.

Cheers!

User avatar
boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 1780

Re: TX78 Skyray Gunship

Post#13 » Dec 24 2017 06:25

That actually looks pretty good.
I should get a few of these if the codex makes the devilfish useful.

Return to “Common Workbench”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests