Returning Tau player with some hobby questions!

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Melete
Shas

Returning Tau player with some hobby questions!

Post#1 » Feb 10 2018 05:44

Hey ATT! I'm Melete, and after more than 10 years out of the hobby, I'm back and getting to work on my Tau force again.

I last played in 3rd edition, back when I was in middle/high school, so the models I've got are quite old and I definitely wasn't thinking about stuff like magnetization when I built them. Hell, I don't know if anyone used magnets back then.

So I've got some XV8 suits with weapons and support systems glued in place.

My masterful paint and hobby skills, circa age 13. I have no idea why the back left guy is slightly green.

I haven't painted a model since then, but I'm guessing I can do better now, so they're going to take a bath in Super Clean shortly.

What I'd like to do is disassemble the weapons and maybe the support systems, and magnetize them. I'm guessing they're assembled with model glue, so I'm sure it's going to a bit ugly when I remove it.

Should I just take a hobby knife and cut the weapons off? And then file down the melted bit, I guess? Also, should I try removing the weapons before or after stripping the paint off the models?

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Returning Tau player with some hobby questions!

Post#2 » Feb 10 2018 08:20

A few things could be done.
1. Since they are old it’s possible the glue has gotten brittle so they might just pop off.
2. You can slice them off (because honestly you’re going to end up cutting the knob off anyways to magnetize it).
And I would probably remove the weapons before if possible. That way there’s no paint built up for n crevices between the weapon and the suit.
Orrrrrrrrr
You could save yourself the trouble and by the Tau Start Collecting box. Comes with 3 new XV8s a team of Fire Warriors an Etheral and all the accompanying drones for $85. (Basically the Ethereal is free).
Up to you though.

RoboBonobo
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 11 2018 03:08

I have some experience here that may be of use, granted it was on models assembled with super glue...

As mentioned above old glue can be brittle. Use this to your advantage! Toss the suits in your freezer for a few days (3-5). The cold is hell on the glue and if you apply a good amount of pressure around the offending glue joins after pulling it from the freezer it tends to pop free much easier.

Once you pop them drop it all in your super clean bath and let it cook for a few days as well. I know it can be done in a few hours, but if you let it do its job it will take the scrubbing effort down some and get you a better result in one go.

If it's plastic cement/model glue the freezer isn't as effective but it still helps. And this works for all metal and metal/plastic allmixed models as well.

And as above just trim drill and magnetize for the most mileage out of those suits.

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Feb 11 2018 05:18

Strip the paint first. There's a chance you may have used plastic glue onto paint, so stripping first will losen that. If you used plastic glue correctly then a hobby knife is your only option

Melete
Shas

Post#5 » Feb 11 2018 02:50

After an eBay auction arrived (yay discount models) I've now got 9 suits I'll be doing surgery on. I've only got ~7-10 of each weapon except CIBs (none of those), but I figure that's a decent start.

On the four that were originally mine, I ended up removing the weapons before stripping them. Some of them just popped off, the rest I cut loose with a hobby knife. They're in the process of being stripped right now.

I might try stripping one of the other five suits before disassembly, just to see if that works any better.

Ifrit wrote:Orrrrrrrrr
You could save yourself the trouble and by the Tau Start Collecting box. Comes with 3 new XV8s a team of Fire Warriors an Etheral and all the accompanying drones for $85. (Basically the Ethereal is free).
Up to you though.

Yeah, I might end up buying a Start Collecting at some point. I have ~20 drones but it seems like they're pretty good these days and all of mine happen to be gun drones. Does the box come with 8 drones? I see there's also a box with just 2 drones for $12 but that's... really sad.

steelmanf
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Feb 12 2018 09:40

Melete wrote:Yeah, I might end up buying a Start Collecting at some point. I have ~20 drones but it seems like they're pretty good these days and all of mine happen to be gun drones. Does the box come with 8 drones? I see there's also a box with just 2 drones for $12 but that's... really sad.

At this point, I might say you already have a fair amount of work to do, so if you plan on playing some games in 8th I'd hold off just a bit longer for the new codex to release before you buy much else, see what's good.

I feel like I'm playing a broken record with how often that line has been uttered around here lately. But in your case, it applies pretty well since you have several suits to work on for now. Although the Start Collecting box, is still a ridiculous good deal (can be had for less on Amazon/eBay).

And...ya...$12 for 2 drones...pricing is the main reason I didn't get into the hobby until 8th.

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Feb 12 2018 10:20

You can try and magnetize your drones as well. There’s a tutorial around here somewhere. You basically cut the little nub off (that goes into the drone top) and drill a little hole for a magnet. Then shove one into the drone top and presto it’s done.
Unless you have pre-owned drones and they are already glued together.
In which case no worries. Most people prefer gun drones anyway.

Melete
Shas

Post#8 » Feb 20 2018 08:17

Ok, I'm back after a busy week with not much hobby to show for it. I'm just getting started on magnetizing the suits now.

But it's time for an extremely important question!

Fusion Blasters: cylinder up, or down?

The more suits I look at, the clearer it is the community has no clue which way they ought to go. I'm also 99% sure the GW studio has built them both ways.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Feb 20 2018 08:30

To me, cylinder down unless mounted on shoulders/jetpacks obviously

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Feb 20 2018 08:37

Beerson wrote:To me, cylinder down unless mounted on shoulders/jetpacks obviously

Definitely the best way to do it!

Note that GW has also something bizarre and shown Fusion Blasters mounted sideways on the arms, which is just ridiculous- don't do that! :D

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Feb 20 2018 08:43

Arka0415 wrote:
Beerson wrote:To me, cylinder down unless mounted on shoulders/jetpacks obviously

Note that GW has also something bizarre and shown Fusion Blasters mounted sideways on the arms, which is just ridiculous- don't do that! :D

Yes, that looks just awful
Also if you properly magnetize the weapons with steel plates, you can put them in any way you want, currently doing that and will post results in project log soon

Melete
Shas

Post#12 » Feb 20 2018 08:54

Beerson wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

Yes, that looks just awful
Also if you properly magnetize the weapons with steel plates, you can put them in any way you want, currently doing that and will post results in project log soon

Sounds interesting. I'm just doing it magnet-to-magnet right now.

Return to “Common Workbench”