Guide [In search of the Best Flush Cutter]

A collection of the best Community hobby posts. Promoted content only.
P'Shar's Rifles
Kor'O
Kor'O

Re: In search of the Best Flush Cutter

Post#19 » Jul 03 2009 01:42

Shas'El Tael wrote:Sometime, not being flush is a good thing. You can always neatly trim closer, but you can never go back after marring a part. ;)

Interesting. I agree, but I see that statement as a justification for the nippers as a tool. Nice sharp flush-cutting nippers are, for me, more surgically precise in some applications than a hobby knife. I don't need to apply force to the model to oppose the cut, and there's no danger of the blade slipping sideways and shaving off something I wanted to keep. I'll usually end up needing sandpaper no matter what, just out of obsessiveness, but I like being able to gently snip away plastic or metal as close as I choose to the surface I'm shaping or cleaning.

But then, Master Fio, I recognize that your scalpel-fu is almost certainly much stronger than mine! ;)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#20 » Jul 03 2009 03:25

All very reasonable; And I did use the caveat '..Sometimes..'

But you made a really valid point, dull cutters are dangerous. Having to apply too much pressure can often catapult a part right into your nasal fold or worse, eyes.

I regularly wear a set of impact glasses when clipping, hacking or even spraying.

Technik
Shas

Re: In search of the best flush cutter

Post#21 » Jul 04 2009 12:18

All the advice here is really solid stuff. I have really taken the advice here and already started applying it to my stealth suits, and the results are starting to speak for themselves. No camera so sorry, but when they are done I will throw up some pictures! Thanks again all for the superb contributions. Maybe a file and paintbrush thread are in order!

P'Shar's Rifles
Kor'O
Kor'O

Post#22 » Jul 04 2009 12:37

Shas'El Tael wrote:I regularly wear a set of impact glasses when clipping, hacking or even spraying.

Me too. Amazing how fast those pieces can fly when all that energy is released...

Heh heh! Ricochets can often be heard in our dining-room.... ~ Eigle

Return to “Resource Articles”