Guide [A More Sturdy Flying Base]

A collection of the best Community hobby posts. Promoted content only.
Drucifer667
Shas

Guide [A More Sturdy Flying Base]

Post#1 » Jul 24 2009 02:23

I got an assembled devilfish off ebay for about 1/3rd retail, just one problem, it didn't come with a base. As most agree, GW's flybases are flimsy, and I wanted something more durable. After a bit of searching I found http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13731&hilit=flying+base, but it's a bit large for a 'fish, so I set about coming up with my own...

Started with a Pilot G2 "mini" gel pen:

and remove the ink cartridge.
The cartridge for the G2 mini is the same length as the long stem for a GW flybase, so no cutting needed.

Remove the ballpoint:

So that you're left with this:
Run a cotton swab through the tube, and wash out the black tip bit to remove any ink.

Then I cut a base from MDF and drilled a hole in the center to mount the tube.

Bore out the normal basing hole so that it fits snug on the black tip bit and glue it in place:

Decorate as normal, and its finished!
ImageImage

Any tension is going to be in the joint and the tube is both tougher and more flexible- its gonna take real effort to break it, and its easily removed for storage and using the landing gear.
Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
-PATTON

synchronicity
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: In search of a more sturdy flying base (how-to)

Post#2 » Jul 24 2009 04:20

Great thinking! This concept can be applied to many pens laying around the house. I'll keep my eyes open... :D
The Tau aren't Communists, they're simply Utilitarians.

_T'Owel_
Shas

Post#3 » Jul 26 2009 08:26

Thanks for this it helped a lot! I had a bit of a problem with my devilfish base snapping constantly but not anymore :D
pity the fool who don't leave his tea to brew for 5 mins

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#4 » Jul 26 2009 09:55

Moved to Modelling forum and Stickied too. Very simple but very useful little "How to...", Drucifer667. I've used a similar technique for large flying bases for my Barracudas using larger pens and CDs for the bases themselves and it's equally as successful.

E.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [How to] In search of a more sturdy flying base

Post#5 » Jul 28 2009 09:01

I use a modified GW flying base for my Tanks.

The top is a small base with a few notches cut out(you'll see why when you test fit it), use a saw as clipers smash the base.

The hole is made larger with a round file to just fit below the nipple, then I glued it all up.

A note on Barracudas, I've not long since got two and they both came with the Valkyrie flying bases for free. I just had to drill, put a pin in and notch a bit to make them fit(when missile bay is closed).

Return to “Resource Articles”