Guide [Simple, but effective buildings]

A collection of the best Community hobby posts. Promoted content only.
Rus'el
Shas

Guide [Simple, but effective buildings]

Post#1 » Aug 01 2009 03:46

HOW TO CREATE SIMPLE BUILDINGS

For a quick, simple but effective way to create buildings I have found that using the compressed cardboard packaging really woks a treat. All you need is:

Some compressed cardboard packaging!
As you can see, it is quite effective.

If you want to make it look more interesting and realistic you can model and paint it.

Tools you may need:

* Coping saw or Jig saw.
* Craft Knife.
* Clippers.
* File.
* Sand Paper.
* Pen.
* Brushes.

Materials you may need: This is not an exhaustive list

* compressed cardboard packaging. If you cannot get hold of any don't worry, as you can literally use anything from polystyrene packaging to plastic food containers.
* Hard Board. You can also use a good bit of card to base your model. It's easier to work with but can warp and prone to damage.
* Card/Plastic Sheets. This is so you can create panel lines.
* PVA Wood Glue.
* Super Glue.
* Some Sand.
* Paints.
* A good selection of Bits.
Here are some good Bits web sites recommended by Shas'El Tael:
http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/
http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/
http://bitzbarn.com/
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Hoard-O-Bits/FAQ.html

I'm always on the look out for things to use for 40k. Here are two examples of stuff I have found.
First up are some plastic slides off of the straps you get on bags. Brought 10 of these from a haberdashery store for £1. Thought they would make good doors and window surounds.
A great way to create ventilation panels is to use the rough side of cable ties. They come in all shapes and sizes and are easy to work with.

* Step One:
Trace around the out side edge of your structure.
* Step Two:
Once you have an outline, draw a line to represent the size and shape of the base. Use curved natural shapes to help it blend in on your gaming board. Alternatively, if you want it in a city environment use the base like a pavement, making the outlines straight.
* Step Three:
Using a Coping saw or jigsaw cut out your base. If you don't have a saw this can be tricky but I have used a sharp knife before.
* Step Four:
File down the edges and give them a slope using a file and sand papper.
* Step Five:
Using the PVA glue attach the structure to the base and start adding the details.
As you can see I have used the card to create the door panels, very simple.
* Step Six:
Using a large brush or spray gun if you have one, Paint the exterior of your building.
* Step Seven:
Paint the 'ground' with a watered down brown paint. Doesn't matter if it covers unevenly as this will add to the natural look of real earth.
Once that was dry I used a large brush to dry brush Bleached Bone all over the structure and ground. Concentrate on any hard edges.
* Step Eight:
Add some Grass flock (if you so wish) using the PVA glue and paint any details like the doors and windows.
As you can see from the picture below (different model I know), I have added weathering and damage to give the building some extra character. Brown and rust coloured Inks/Washes are ideal for this.
* Step Nine:
Send in a Tau strike Force to secure! :evil:
* A Couple Of Tips:
A little tip. For the door surround I used a section of old spur from the drone spur!
Wood Glue is great, not just at gluing but it can also be used to fill small gaps. If you buy a Wood Glue that has a nozzle you can use it like a builder would use a sealant or decorators caulk. Just run the nozzle along the gap and rub any excess off with your fingers. It realy does work and saves all the time and fuss of making up Green Stuff or putty.
You can just about see where I've used it down either side of the structure in the picture below:

I hope that this Guide has been of some interest and help. The main things to remember are to keep your eyes open to junk around you, use your imagination and have fun! :D

All the best,

Rus'el
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left!

Anglaphile
Shas

Re: [How To] Simple, but effective buildings.

Post#2 » Aug 04 2009 03:17

Just wanted to say thanks for this article. Great pictures and easy to follow. I feel energised to go build again. :D

Rus'el
Shas

Re: [How To] Simple, but effective buildings.

Post#3 » Aug 04 2009 03:39

Anglaphile,

Glad I was able to spur you into action.

Rus'el
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left!

Return to “Resource Articles”