Hobby Resource [Resin/plastic parts in Forgeworld XV suits]

A collection of the best Community hobby posts. Promoted content only.
A neutral shade of black.
Shas

Hobby Resource [Resin/plastic parts in Forgeworld XV suits]

Post#1 » Feb 27 2006 05:01

To those who've bought them (I know there's more than one person here ;)), how many different weapon types do FW suits come with? I'm specifically interested in knowing if buying two would be enough to have two DR 'els, but I'm guessing the answer is "no..."

ALF
Shas

Post#2 » Feb 27 2006 05:46

some come with a crisis suit GW sprue and FW extra parts.. ( Arms, Legs, Head and weps.. ) others like the Broadsides do not..

just look at the model and you can tell which parts are GW and which parts are FW..

Longknife
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 27 2006 06:22

In all the suits you get the GW battlesuit sprue (since FW don't do their own feet, except for the XV-88 2's).

In addition, you'll get 1 pair of 2-part arms (bicep area + forearm - poseable), 1 pair of 2-part legs (thigh + shin - poseable), 1 head (with any antennae required), along with any extra bits like alternative jetpacks (in the case of the XV81 and 84), and all the battlesuit weapon options in resin (since they fit into the forearm slots differently to the GW suits).

So basically, you can buy 2 FW suits, and, assuming you didn't get XV-89's, you'll have enough spare bits to make a 3rd for free, with the only missing parts being the feet.

Hopefully that clears things up, but if it's unclear in anyway I'll try and rephrase so that it's less of a mouthful :)

Shas

Post#4 » Feb 27 2006 06:30

What's the '89 got that makes it special?

Concretely, the question was "does each kit include double - left and right, one of each - resin weapon/arm pieces?" In other words, can I build a "real" (non-converted) FW suit Deathrain by buying just one '84 (for example)?

Longknife
Shas

Post#5 » Feb 27 2006 06:34

The XV-89 has to use the GW jetpack, so buying it means you don't have a spare one for a 3rd suit (if you so desired to get a 3rd suit for free in the first place).

The 81 and 84 both come with resin jetpacks, obviously giving you spare plastic GW ones.

And sadly you only get one 'set' of resin cast weapons (i.e one of each Fusion/Flamer/Plasma/MissilePod/BurstCannon).

What i did to represent twinlinking on my 89 was shave down the 'plug' from the GW plastic Missile pod, and put it alongside the resin cast pod which went into the socket in the arm. You'd end up with 2 pods side by side, and can then use greenstuff (or some other gap filling material) to fill... the err.. gap.

Hekal Xul
Shas

Post#6 » Feb 28 2006 02:33

Longknife wrote:The 81 and 84 both come with resin jetpacks, obviously giving you spare plastic GW ones.

Sadly, the XV 84 does not have a seperate resin jetpack assembly, the ML/TL spine plugs into the top of the existing plastic kit.

Shas

Post#7 » Feb 28 2006 09:55

Okay, thanks for the info, people. Just one last one: are there bare resin arms coming with the suits, or what?

ALF
Shas

Post#8 » Feb 28 2006 01:01

the kits come with 2 part arms with mountable wepons on the front of the arms... I felt kinda ripped off on this aspect since it only had the barrels of the guns.. and only one of each ( no TL possibilities.. :( )

UN17
Shas

Post#9 » Feb 28 2006 01:13

Yes, but they also come with the original XV weapons sprue, do they not? So you can easily convert a short barrel for any weapon you need by simply cutting the ends off.

ALF
Shas

Post#10 » Feb 28 2006 01:32

Yes.. but the FW resins are of higher detail :)

Hekal Xul
Shas

Post#11 » Mar 01 2006 02:04

UN17 wrote:Yes, but they also come with the original XV weapons sprue, do they not? So you can easily convert a short barrel for any weapon you need by simply cutting the ends off.

Agreed, I ended up not using any of the supplied resin barrels/weapon ends. FW detail at times is hit and miss, chopping & cleaning a mold line from the plastic kit is much easier than fixing a resin deformity...

Abanim
Shas

Post#12 » Mar 13 2006 06:27

Let me see if I understand correctly...

I could buy an XV81 (the crisis suit variant with a jetpack-mounted smart missile system) but count it as a regular Deathrain suit in non-Forgeworld games - and I'd have two missile pods left over? (One from the standard crisis sprue, plus a resin one with a different attachment doodad.)

This is of great interest to me, as I've been looking for a source of missile pods to proxy as autocannons in my pseudo-IG gue'vesa force.

Fraggle
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: What parts come with FW suits?

Post#13 » Feb 02 2009 12:38

Hooray for Uber-Threadromancy, but this is the best thread to put this in, IMO.

My question is: Does the '81 come with two FW weapon sprues, in resin, or just one? Just it has 2 missile pods, after all, mounted on the jet pack.

ALF
Shas

Post#14 » Feb 02 2009 01:25

it comes with the Plastic XV-8 Sprues.. (that have the plastic weapons)
1 FW resin weapon sprue
1 FW resin sprue with 2 missile pods on it..
note: the FW resin missile pods have a large cut out on them making them look like the letter "L"

Fraggle
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#15 » Feb 02 2009 01:54

So you get 2 weapon sprues, and 3 missile pods?

I'm confused :/

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#16 » Feb 02 2009 02:43

But one has the standard missile pod and the other has two That aren't L shaped that are attached to the backpack I believe

lightning
Shas

Post#17 » Feb 02 2009 03:03

On the question of the '81, is the SMS missile pods attached to the jetpack stand, or are they seperate pieces?

Hey Fraggle! For a minute I thought you were doing a Lightning! :P

Fraggle
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#18 » Feb 02 2009 04:29

Nope, I'm not as bad as that lightning!

Oh, hang on... :sad:

I believe that they're seperate.

Thanks for the info Arrow!

Return to “Resource Articles”