Guide [Remora Drone Fighter from a Skyray Turret]

A collection of the best Community hobby posts. Promoted content only.
Turbo_MMX
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Guide [Remora Drone Fighter from a Skyray Turret]

Post#1 » Dec 09 2010 07:25

Greetings all.

WELL its been a VERY long time since I made the first Remora drone stealth fighter from a Sky Ray turret, and since then I’ve been saying that I would do a Tutorial on how to make one. Well I’ve finally made a 2nd one and have done up a tutorial for those that wish to build their own.

So here is what your going to end up with at the end.

To build it you will need the following Tools

Knife
Pin Vice
Plastic cutters
Wire cutters
Glue
Paper clip (or wire for pinning)
Green stuff

You will also need... One Skyray Turret (both sprues). The bits from the sprues you need are
The main Turret section and both wings.
1x Maker light and mounting pin
2x Marker light mounting disks
2x Engine mounts from the Skyray seeker missiles
2x Stealth suit burst cannons
2x Battle suit Shield generators (Sorry not pictured)
2x Seeker missiles (Also not pictured.) *The skyray turret ones will do. But I prefer the ones from the Devilfish/hammer head kits)

STEP 1

Once you have cleaned up the parts. Remove the lower hanging sections of the 2 wings so that they are both flat. You don’t have to remove the missile mounts unless you want to. If you chose to use the missile mounts for the Drones seeker missiles, hold off on removing them till you have chosen the position.

You will also have to remove part of the side bit of the Wing so that its even with the "detail" of the wing (see picture)

Once you have done that. Drill a small hole right into the wing as shown. This should be in line with the detail section I’ve marked as "Fig A" You should be able to see the small line the drill made in the plastic as I did it in the picture below.

Take the paper clip (or wire) and cut of length off it. This should be around 2 inches long. If it’s too long don’t worry for the moment. You need the length at this stage.

Glue the wire into the hole you just drilled. Take one of the Burst cannons and drill a hole right through the main body as shown here. You should also remove the small "Tab" that would normally connect the burst cannon to the side of the stealth suits arm as it will just get in the way)

You might want to drill half one side and half the other as this stops you from getting it off center.

Once you have your hole. Thread it into the wire attached to the wing and make sure the base of the burst cannon is flush against the small overhang that you had to trim earlier. If its not quite right just trim it until it is. Once you have the gun in place, make sure its parallel to the wing and glue it in place so it looks like this.

Do this for the other side as well following the same steps and you should end up with a pair of wings that look like this.

Image.

STEP 2

Take 2 of the engine mounts for the Skyrays seeker missiles. Cut the top and bottom rudder sections from the main body. Next cut the engine intake from one side to the beginning of the exhaust housing (see pics for details)

Image Image Image

NOTE Make sure you cut the opposite engine Intake for the 2nd engine mount to the one you just did. This will allow them to line up better for the next step.

STEP 3

Construct the main Skyray turret as you would if making it normally. However don’t attach the small "Top Hat" shaped bit to the bottom of the Turret as you will need it later on. Also don’t attach the 2 brackets that the wings are normally mounted on. They will not be used for the build.

Once the Turret has been built. Take the 2 engine mounts that you have just cut up and glue them into the turret as shown.

If the intakes don’t sit in the correct position, simply trim them up a little bit until they do.

STEP 4

Now I’m sorry to say, This is the tricky bit of the build. Take the turret and drill 2 holes on either side just below the Rim of the body as shown.

This is for the wings to attach to. They need to be on the middle line of the turret and directly across from each other (just use your best judgement)

Once you have your holes. Take the 2 wings that you made at the start and thread the wing into the main turret so that it looks like this.

If your holes are a bit off simply fill them with green stuff, let it dry and try again. Once you get it looking like this you can move onto the next step.

Once you have your wings and holes set in the correct position. Mix up some green stuff. You will need enough so that if you place a blob of it over the hole you will have enough so that it will also touch both the turret and the burst cannon and allow them to stick together.

**Normal plastic melting glue wont work for this next part!! I really recommend "super glue" or "Crazy glue" not sure what its called in other countries**

Put a Bit of glue over the hole in the turret, Place a blob of green stuff over the glue and then place another small amount on the green stuff now sitting over the hole **don't GET YOUR FINGERS STUCK** . Next, Thread the wing through the Glue and green stuff and into the underside of the turret. Do the same on both sides and you should have something that looks like this.

The reason for this is to allow you to get the wings into the "down-ward sweeping" position and will also allow you to tweak the angle to get it just right.

Once you have the wings at a angle that you are happy with, Find a Small block of wood or a model or a base (a couple of dice stacked on top of each other could also do) that will keep the whole thing in the right spot while the green stuff and glue dry.

Its best to leave it overnight just to be sure. If this part fails just break it apart and start again. The green stuff should come off without too much trouble.

STEP 5

You only need one Marker light for the remora. Construct it as you would when making a Skryray. However you will need to remove the 2 side pegs that would normally allow it to swivel up and down. Take a small bit of sprue and cut it so its the same size as the mounting stand and glue it to the top as shown.

Now take the small "Top Hat" bit of from the base of the turret.

Simply glue the Marker light into the "Hat" like this.

Please make sure you have the marker light in the middle however.

STEP 6

Once the Green stuff and Glue have dried enough that the wings no longer move. Glue the "Top Hat" with the maker light into the hole at the base of the turret as Shown

Please make sure the Marker light is pointing forward!!!

If you like you can also clean up and excess green stuff and also trim the wire back.

STEP 7

Now come the Seeker missiles. If you wish to use the older style missiles, Simply glue (or magnetise) them to the solid section at the back of the underside of the turret as shown.

This will give you a look fairly close to the Forgeworld Remora design.

However if your not a fan of this (or simply don’t have any of the older missiles) Take 2 of the Skyray Seeker missiles and mount them on the inner most brackets as shown.

This gives you a different look but it still looks quite imposing non the less :D

STEP 8

And for the final stage. Take 2 Battle suit shield generators. Clip off the small tabs that you would use to mount it onto a battle suits support slots and Glue them on the sides of the engines as shown.

Next take the 2 Marker light disk mounts and glue them into the position on the end of both the wings.

AND DONE!!

One MMX pattern Remora Drone Stealth fighter from a Skyray Turret! :)
Last edited by Turbo_MMX on Dec 10 2010 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
The Mighty Kroot Power Gamer!

Ah yes, ya gotta love it

O'M'yen'Suam
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [Tutorial] Remora Drone Fighter from a Skyray Turret

Post#2 » Dec 09 2010 08:01

*Applauds* Bravo Turbo_MMX, a fantastic idea and tutorial. I can't wait to try this for myself :D
Submission is not defeat, submission is victory!!

Samurai_Aly
Shas

Post#3 » Dec 09 2010 08:51

Awesome tutorial! However I do have one teeny tiny little thought. Just looking at the forge world model, would it not make more sense to switch around the wings so that they slope forwards rather than back the way? Obviously this is purely aesthetic and doesn't affect how the tutorial works.

Great stuff, can't wait to try it! :biggrin:

Turbo_MMX
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#4 » Dec 09 2010 09:13

would it not make more sense to switch around the wings so that they slope forwards rather than back the way?

Well you could, but the back of the wings are Flat and square. IMO doing it that way would make it look less able to fly than having them in the position they are now. But if you wanted to try it the tutorial would not change that much. Just the position of the Holes in the wings and how much of that "Overhang" you remove from the back end of the wing rather than the front end.

Ah yes, ya gotta love it

hazmatt
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#5 » Dec 09 2010 09:52

This is very timely for me, as I was planning on doing one of these after I finish my Frankencuda. Tons of great info. Thanks!

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#6 » Dec 09 2010 11:39

Excellent walk-through, Turbo-MMX. Stickied.

E.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#7 » Dec 09 2010 04:59

Gorgeous tutorial, crisp macro imagery and an example of associating part details to infer a sense of unity (aligning seam lines etc) Good move Eigle, completely agree. Additionally, added it to ATT's [Model Guides & Tutorials] Official ATT Modelling Resource

- Tael.

Turbo_MMX
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#8 » Dec 10 2010 09:23

Wow, High praise! Honestly didnt expect all that :D Thanks very much guys.

Ah yes, ya gotta love it

the invoker
Fio

Post#9 » Dec 19 2010 06:35

Genius conversion! It's roughly the same dimensions as an actual Remora but has a distincly cool look. A very detailed tutorial too. Nicely done.

The Invoker
Custom Crisis Suits: Alacrity - Forgeling - Sunstrike - Deafening Blast

Terminatorinhell
Shas

Post#10 » Dec 20 2010 12:18

Wow... I know what I'm going to do with my spare skyray turret.

Return to “Resource Articles”