[Challenge] 2013 Year of Tau | Size does matter

A collection of the best Community hobby posts. Promoted content only.
Cannonfodder
Shas

Re: [Challenge] 2013 Year of Tau | Size does matter

Post#37 » Apr 18 2013 06:34

I ordered my kit that I will start from. (no GW-riptide). Looking forward to getting started.

Whitefire
Shova

Post#38 » Apr 18 2013 06:40

I really have to get this off my chest I am personally hating the no WiP thing. Sure nobody can steal my ideas but it means it has to stay off the internet until the comp is over. :::(

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#39 » Apr 18 2013 06:50

We always had the NO WIP part, for many reasons:

-The Entry should be made for the challenge
-It should not have influence to other participants
-This way no one can 'steal' an Idea

just to name a few, this rule is one of the most important rules.

We also want the entries to be a surprise. If people had WIP threads, members could develop favorites before the voting even started.
>>--AA-->

Harold
Shas

Post#40 » Apr 18 2013 08:40

I would like to enter the challenge, and this is my first time. Im not really doing a lot of converting other then a different pose and a nice base.
So i would like to ask, is that enough and at what point does a model count as "converted" for the sake of the challenge?

Shi'ur
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#41 » Apr 18 2013 09:08

Got my e-mail notification last night that my ordered Riptide ( and Pathfinders ) is on it's way to my local GW... squee!! :P
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#42 » Apr 18 2013 10:53

Harold wrote:I would like to enter the challenge, and this is my first time. Im not really doing a lot of converting other then a different pose and a nice base.
So i would like to ask, is that enough and at what point does a model count as "converted" for the sake of the challenge?

You are allowed to convert it as much or as little as you like, so long as the result is still a legal riptide. We want to encourage creativity so that we don't have 20 of exactly the same thing. If you want to focus on painting more than conversion, that is up to you. A different pose and a nice base is certainly enough if that's what you want to do. A well-executed simple conversion is better than a poorly executed mess of conversions.

Cannonfodder
Shas

Post#43 » Apr 19 2013 06:05

Whitefire wrote:I really have to get this off my chest I am personally hating the no WiP thing. Sure nobody can steal my ideas but it means it has to stay off the internet until the comp is over. :::(

I feel your pain. It's the same for me. I already prowl the webs for ideas and input but on the other hand this is exactly why the rule is in place.

Gal
Shas

Post#44 » Apr 21 2013 11:03

Interesting. I'm gonna have to raid the bits box if for no other reason than to get a cheap riptide. Just found an oval base kickin around

Iceplague
Shas

Post#45 » Apr 21 2013 11:39

I'm game! Concidering I already have started converting my riptide.
Good thing my rank on the forums didn't allow me to start the WIP thread, othervise I'd already posted pictures on my modified riptide. I'm a returning veteran and used to be of higher rank, but since I've been away for a few years from the forums, my rank has dropped back to Shas'Saal.
Lucky I suppose. ;)

Shi'ur
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#46 » Apr 22 2013 09:17

I'm in!! :evil:

My Riptide came in over the weekend, and the conversion juices are flowing like mad!

Mwah-ha-ha!!!!!!! :crafty: :P
Last edited by Shi'ur on Apr 23 2013 03:10, edited 1 time in total.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

PoppinJake
Shas

Post#47 » Apr 22 2013 09:44

To be specific WIP pictures are not allowed until after voting has ended which is somewhere around 8th or 9th of July? Additionally, are they not allowed in any public forum or just the ones that are commonly popular?

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#48 » Apr 22 2013 09:49

PoppinJake wrote:To be specific WIP pictures are not allowed until after voting has ended which is somewhere around 8th or 9th of July?

Correct.

PoppinJake wrote:Additionally, are they not allowed in any public forum or just the ones that are commonly popular?

Our Drones are everywhere, we do not want to see your entry until the challenge is over.
We have eyes, ears, infrared detectors, radar, sonar, laser rangefinders, x-ray sensors, and any other number of methods to detect your entry out there on the web.
>>--AA-->

professorkylan
Shas

Post#49 » Apr 27 2013 10:28

Six hours ago I took ownership of one Riptide. Five minutes ago I finished the conversion work. I don't think I've ever enjoyed ripping through a model like that ever before!

Can't wait to see what everyone else is doing!

Frosty
Shas

Post#50 » Apr 27 2013 01:02

Thanks for this competition. You gave me the inspiration to build my own little beast. Or try to ;)

Only converted some sternguard and two Shapers so far. But this one....this one will be from scratch. Even the MekBoyz will pay pilgrimage to me :evil:

Edit: Please someone send me some numbers how tall is it. And how big is the base :?

Duality
Shas

Post#51 » Apr 27 2013 01:46

I'm IN! Saw this thread after I started converting my own big Riptide, not for the win but for fun absolutely :D

Edited: typo

Lone Strike
Shas

Post#52 » Apr 29 2013 09:29

Well, I have one riptide 100% I just started working on my second and I am very happy with my ideas BUT It is placed on a 6 inch by 8 inch block of wood. Now...does this count as an up size base or is that a bit too big? I really don't know what one I want to enter :::(

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#53 » Apr 29 2013 09:37

Entering with a bigger base is allowed, but do not forget that we want to see playable models and that a block of wood might get negative reactions (less votes).

Lone Strike
Shas

Post#54 » Apr 29 2013 09:45

I can remove the model with its original base, but for the fluff and what the suit is doing I need a bit more room :biggrin:

Return to “Resource Articles”