[Challenge] 2013 Year of Tau | Size does matter

A collection of the best Community hobby posts. Promoted content only.
Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

[Challenge] 2013 Year of Tau | Size does matter

Post#1 » Apr 02 2013 10:42

"Take cover - incoming" screamed Shas'ui Jeth'ri to the rest of the fire warriors as the gue'la tank advanced, beetle like, toward them firing it's main armament. The ground shook, soil and metal shrapnel fell like rain on the cowering Tau, their pulse rifles ineffective against such a heavily armoured enemy.

Shas'ui Jeth'ri raised his helmet to get a better look, one tank with infantry support. Lowering himself back down into the prone position he felt a rhythmic pulse through the ground. "That can't be right" he thought, there was no sight of the gue'la's feared Walkers.

Suddenly the tank exploded in a brilliant fireball, the infantry where flung like rag dolls by the blast. The few who remained standing seemed to stare in fear at a point behind the fire warriors, then threw down their weapons and ran.

Shas'ui Jeth'ri stood, turning slowly and craning his head to look up at the massive figure striding out of the smoke.....

The challenge for this particular event is to convert the Empire's new XV104 Riptide. The model should represent the Battlesuit from the codex but does not have to be made out of the original set. You need to make this particular individual notable by way of posing or trademark embellishment and equipment.

The entry may consist of one Codex-Legal XV104 Riptide or count-as.

Additionally we would like to hear a short story (paragraph) about your Battlesuits service for the empire.

The Rules:

- One converted XV104 model or a Count-As XV104 Conversion. (the Count-As has to be identifiable as an XV104)
- No WIP-threads during the challenge, we are looking forward to seeing them when the challenge is over.
- Entries may consist of 3 single pictures, no compilations.
- The fluff should be a short paragraph.

Example size of pictures:

The challenge begins 1st May 2013. Entries can be sent in up to 30th June 2013.
Voting will be open from 5th July for a period of 4 days.

The Prizes!

Prizes: under all legal entries, we will draw two lucky winners. One will get a signed copy of Braden Campbell's Novel Shadowsun and the other will get a signed copy of Peter Fehevari's Novel Fire Caste. The prizes are donated by the authors, and a big thank you goes out to both of them!

Please send your entry via the PM button below

FAQ's:

Q: One question: We can convert the model and if so by how much?
A: It has to be identifiable as an XV104 Riptide apart from that, there is no limit to conversion.

Q: Bases?
A: The legal base that come with the model.

Q: Is there a limit of entries?
A: Yes, because it is quite a complex challenge, we only take one entry per contestant.

Q: What if I enter a model that I already have built before the challenge started?
A: As long as you have not shown any pictures of it yet, we will not be able to prove that you have built it before, so that is no problem. But in true competition spirit it would be better to build a new one.

Q: Also, is everything in terms of painting fair game? i.e. airbrushing or other techniques/tools?
A: Sure.

Q: Can we privately converse with another member of ATT/different forum (IE PM) about our project?
A: Yes. (it is also allowed to show Pictures to another member via PM to get feedback)

Q: GW has always had the rule that you can up-size the base that the model originally came with, but not down size it. Is that okay with the challenge?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I use an existing piece of wargear to represent something else, for example a shield generator as a drone controller?
A: Yes, but it must be quite heavily converted. Just sticking an antenna on it would not be enough.

UPDATE 04.04.2013

Q: Does the model have to be painted?
A: This challenge is meant to be a conversion, painting, and fluff challenge (with emphasis on conversion and painting, less on fluff). While it is not required that a model be painted,
an unpainted figure will likely hurt your chances of winning significantly.

Q: Do members of the EU get some extra Time, because of the delayed delivery?
A: No, since this Challenge already has a far bigger time-frame than our earlier Challenges.

happy_spike
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [Challenge] 2013 Year of Tau | Size does matter

Post#2 » Apr 02 2013 07:21

Looking forward to this! This model has SO much conversion potential.

Q: GW has always had the rule that you can up-size the base that the model originally came with, but not down size it. Is that okay with the challenge?
A: Yes.

... ... ... There is a bigger base? The thing is already HUGE lol

Lone Strike
Shas

Post#3 » Apr 02 2013 08:25

Game on ATT...Game on.... :biggrin:

Agamemnon
Shas

Post#4 » Apr 02 2013 08:38

OK Saturday definitely cannot get here soon enough. Kudos to the two authors that donated very worthy prizes.

Win or lose this will be great to see what this community can come up with using such a dynamic looking unit. :D
“Do nothing which is of no use.” Miyamoto Musashi

Aun Tier
Por'Vre
Por'Vre

Post#5 » Apr 02 2013 08:45

Curses! I wasn't planning on getting a Riptide for another few months. Well, I suppose the flyer might be able to wait... :crafty:

I don't know if I'll be able to manage this; but I'll give it a shot. Regardless of my participation, thanks to the generous authors. Also, this sounds like a great bit of fun. I hope it's a regular thing! :D
Truth was flame against a sleeping lake of petrol.

Legacy40k
Shas

Post#6 » Apr 02 2013 09:24

I was planning on converting at least one of my riptides anyhow.. so this works well for me. Does it have to be painted?

PoppinJake
Shas

Post#7 » Apr 02 2013 10:19

Aww, it'll be difficult for me to hold back on showing my WIP, but I guess I can still let people see me the flyer or fireblade.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#8 » Apr 02 2013 10:22

Legacy40k wrote:I was planning on converting at least one of my riptides anyhow.. so this works well for me. Does it have to be painted?

This challenge is meant to be a conversion, painting, and fluff challenge (with emphasis on conversion and painting, less on fluff). While it is not required that a model be painted, an unpainted figure will likely hurt your chances of winning significantly.

Whitefire
Shova

Post#9 » Apr 03 2013 12:38

Sweet this is now a reason to have Monday become a "sick" day. Now I must go buy things in anticipation.

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Apr 03 2013 01:18

I don't think that I will be participating, just because I'm sure I'd never finish in time, but I have a question that might affect others.

Since new Tau products are delayed up to two weeks in Europe, will those participants be given an extra couple weeks to get their entries in?
Though I guess that could get confusing, since either way anyone who preordered or is buying one in North America will get an advantage. Perhaps the Europeans will just have to suck it up and convert that much quicker...

Save yourself some time and Plan Ahead guys! Even if it's just a rough sketch, it helps keep an end goal in mind.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#11 » Apr 03 2013 01:52

This challenge already has a longer time-frame than the other challenges and we announced it earlier.

For now there will be no extra time granted.

Arc'Aroth
Gue

Post#12 » Apr 03 2013 02:28

june 31st mmm... that's close to two months to determine if I even want a riptide in my army, figure out how to make a Gue'vesa looking riptide, buy the parts, assemble and paint it...

challenge accepted!

Shi'ur
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Apr 03 2013 02:36

Not sure if I've got the available funds to pick up a Riptide as well as the new Codex this coming Saturday, but if I do... :crafty:
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#14 » Apr 03 2013 02:43

I would love to see a riptide armed with the biggest pulse carbine known to Tau kind. That's reserved for Shi'ur!

paulson games
Shas

Post#15 » Apr 03 2013 04:13

Game on.

::Cues soundtrack::

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard...

:P
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

AegisFate
Shas

Post#16 » Apr 03 2013 09:04

Now here's the time to make that MWO Highlander inspired Riptide for my 'Counts as' Tau army. Great......

Lef'el
Shas

Post#17 » Apr 06 2013 03:09

I can't wait to see this challenge unfold. I personally can't participate due to my , but I love the ideas that come from the ATT community. I like the new models released. And even though I'm not participating, I've already found myself coming up with ideas. :fear:
For the greater good, and beyond!

Shi'ur
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Apr 06 2013 03:34

Agentarrow wrote:I would love to see a riptide armed with the biggest pulse carbine known to Tau kind. That's reserved for Shi'ur!

I'm currently thinking about possibly making that represent the twin-linked plasma rifle, and/or the Ion Accelerator. :crafty:
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Return to “Resource Articles”