[Challenge] 2013 Year of Tau | Size does matter

A collection of the best Community hobby posts. Promoted content only.
taurider145
Shas

Re: [Challenge] 2013 Year of Tau | Size does matter

Post#55 » Apr 29 2013 10:58

Converted mine last week just in time for a tournament at the weekend. I am very happy with the model, just need to dash some paint on it too.

Although I have more ideas and I am very tempted to purchase a third riptide :).

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#56 » Apr 30 2013 10:26

This is hard project to keep a simple build from turning into thought explosion all over the model. I can not think of another model out for the Tau codex that makes me as happy as building a Riptide.

Thanks Advanced Tau Tactica for this opportunity and motivation.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

abraxus
Shas

Post#57 » Apr 30 2013 11:53

Che Gue'vesa wrote:Our Drones are everywhere, we do not want to see your entry until the challenge is over.
We have eyes, ears, infrared detectors, radar, sonar, laser rangefinders, x-ray sensors, and any other number of methods to detect your entry out there on the web.
>>--AA-->

Soooo.... you have a Multi-Spectrum Sensor Suite? :)

Quick question, and I'm assuming the answer is "no". I had intended on building a riptide as a "count-as" mortis contemptor for my Space Marine allies (dual Kheres), am I correct that this would not be admittable for the contest?

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#58 » Apr 30 2013 12:13

abraxus wrote:Quick question, and I'm assuming the answer is "no". I had intended on building a riptide as a "count-as" mortis contemptor for my Space Marine allies (dual Kheres), am I correct that this would not be admittable for the contest?

If you plan on entering a contemptor with some tau bits on it, then I would say "no" as you were able to preemptively guess.

If you are scratch building a riptide sized model on an appropriate base and you've done such a good job of combining the styles that we just can't tell which faction it belongs to, then please, please submit your work.

Ultimately the anonymous votes will decide if you are successful in your creation but common sense should prevail when you are deciding whether or not the submission qualifies.

Thanks for bringing up the question, and good luck!

modelglue

I could not have said it better -Che Gue'vesa

abraxus
Shas

Post#59 » Apr 30 2013 12:54

I just assumed that a modified riptide with two HBCs and extensive missile racks would be a dead give-away that it wasn't a "standard" Riptide...

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#60 » Apr 30 2013 01:24

abraxus wrote:I just assumed that a modified riptide with two HBCs and extensive missile racks would be a dead give-away that it wasn't a "standard" Riptide...
That would be really awesome, perhaps someone at FW is poking around...

But, that wouldn't be a game legal riptide.

modelglue

Gal
Shas

Post#61 » May 01 2013 01:55

The riptide I'm building is shaping up to be a bit larger than the norm, by a couple inches at least. How far can we deviate in that regard?

Andy06r
Vespid

Post#62 » May 01 2013 02:11

You could paint a decal or apply a water transfer at his normal height for tournament play. Can you see the black line? Then you can shoot it and I can shoot you. One of the local guys made a standing defiler that was almost 10" tall. He had distinct parts that represented where the kit were 'actually' located and measured everything from there. No one complained.

DrTau
Shas

Post#63 » May 01 2013 02:19

Gal wrote:The riptide I'm building is shaping up to be a bit larger than the norm, by a couple inches at least. How far can we deviate in that regard?

I don't think that is a problem.

He is jetpack remember, so he could be on a clear stand above the base in the first place.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#64 » May 01 2013 02:25

Making the model bigger, is like taking a bigger base, it might give you advantages as it gives you disadvantages, game-wise.

We also had up-sized XV8 Suits in our earlier challenges, so there seems to be no problem, As long as it is not getting into the size range of an Emperor Titan.

Iceplague
Shas

Post#65 » May 04 2013 06:23

Che Gue'vesa wrote:Making the model bigger, is like taking a bigger base, it might give you advantages as it gives you disadvantages, game-wise.

We also had up-sized XV8 Suits in our earlier challenges, so there seems to be no problem, As long as it is not getting into the size range of an Emperor Titan.

Aww.. so my 1:1 scale Riptide is too big you say? ;)

Jokes aside. This competition has kinda halted the rest of my Tau WIP production. I was supposed to start a WIP thread of my new Tau army here on the forums, but if I post the work on my Riptide, I'd be out of the challenge. But I think I've done most of the conversions with the little time I have left over to this glorious hobby (after work, kids, GF & rugby), so I should be able to start with my WIP thread soon. :P

Mal'Caor
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#66 » May 09 2013 02:39

My second Riptide has finally arrived, so I can get started on converting the silly thing!

KiRaHyuU
Shas

Post#67 » May 13 2013 07:13

Heyy two questions;

- can newbies partake in this event ?
- I have just converted up one, if i enter it now...can i change like my submission before the due date? " just planning on having two in the army :) "

thank you.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#68 » May 13 2013 07:19

Greetings KiRaHyuU,

- for this challenge, we do not have a restriction for who can enter, (like i.e. join date).
- We only allow one entry per member and if you send us two entries we will pick the first one.

Entries can be sent in up to 31st June 2013. So if you have a second in Progress you might want to try to finish it up to the deadline and when you are not able to finish in time, you can still send us the first one.

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#69 » May 13 2013 07:32

Well my friends, my lovely girlfriend got me a Riptide for my birthday so Brokensword is most definitely in this competition. :-)

L0rdM0nki
Shas

Post#70 » May 14 2013 11:12

Well, after nearly two weeks of conversion work--phew--the Riptide is going to get a good wash tonight, and then it is off to be given a priming. Can't wait to see what others produce! :fear:

E'nigma
Shas

Post#71 » May 15 2013 09:42

Same here I got a Cataclysmo just for this contest lol

Persifal
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#72 » May 17 2013 06:02

I'll try to do one to this competition. But I must say that format of images is too small to present this big model. It is optimal format for a fire warrior or a crisis suit, but Riptide is little bit bigger piece.
For example I took random selected Riptide from flickr:
640x480(a little bit bigger that size in propositions):
1024x777:
A bigger pictures presenting better, helping vote. Please admins, think about it. Thank you.

Return to “Resource Articles”