[Challenge | Voting] 2013 Year of the Tau | Size does matter

A collection of the best Community hobby posts. Promoted content only.

Poll: Which is your favourite XV104 Riptide conversion

Poll ended at Jul 09 2013 08:53

Entry 1
12%
Entry 2
No votes
Entry 3
4%
Entry 4
No votes
Entry 5
No votes
Entry 6
2%
Entry 7
No votes
Entry 8
22%
Entry 9
4%
Entry 10
No votes
Entry 11
12%
Entry 12
3%
Entry 13
2%
Entry 14
1%
Entry 15
19%
Entry 16
No votes
Entry 17
4%
Entry 18
1%
Entry 19
1%
Entry 20
1%
Entry 21
No votes
Entry 22
1%
Entry 23
8%
Entry 24
1%
Entry 25
1%
Entry 26
1%
Total votes: 135

russ29
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [Challenge | Poll] 2013 Year of the Tau | Size does matter

Post#19 » Jul 06 2013 04:20

Really amazing stuff, and all in all I think every single participant deserves a warm round of applause for their effort. There were a couple that stood out to me, but I picked entry 8 because firstly this contest is both a painting and modelling one, and entry 8 fulfilled both rather nicely. Of course, there were others that were really brilliant, but 8 has that extra layer of touch up that made it feel more professionally done which is a definite plus for me. But all in all, I believe the contestants had fun, and I think our community had a lot of eye candy to be appreciated thanks to you guys! So kudos to all of you! :)

Doesn't hurt to blow up tanks with all these cool models too! ;)
Through unity, devastation

Kern
Kroot

Post#20 » Jul 06 2013 05:34

This must be one of the greatest collections of Tau models I've seen!
My vote went out to number 15, towering miles above the others, because the conversion work just all out blew my mind. Amazing work. If it were for sale I'd buy it over the normal Riptide kit any time :biggrin:
First runner up would be 11, for the jet pack engines and the glow on the shield, which is strangely mystifying :P
Second runner ups are 12 for the highlights and 22 for the scheme. The way 22 switches from all yellow to all black has, in combination with the name, a very strong appeal... Too bad they lack conversions!

Kern
As life flies past, you better grab it!

duckinedit
Shas

Post#21 » Jul 06 2013 05:52

I really liked 8, 9, and 11 the most. I was torn between those 3, but ultimately decided I like the conversion work of 9 the most. It looks like the Riptide, while still looking like a classic style japanese mech. The shoulder pads are awesome! And I was astonished by the leg cover converted by the back exhaust flaps. Looks like the perfect fit for that style of design, and I didn't see anyone else do anything similar. So that took the cake for me. (I couldn't figure out where to vote though...)
Play smart and remember what you've learned!

Hodgeypodge
Shas

Post#22 » Jul 06 2013 07:19

WOW! ... wow ... ! I am speechless! This is an amazing collection! All of them are SUPERB!

Just wow!

And yes, 8 was going to be my choice until I came to 15!!! Blew My MIND ! Conversion looks great and the paint job is FLAWLESS!!!

Though I do think 8 has that extra touch to it that makes it really valiant and heroic, and the conversion is just spot on - less is more type thing - and though I feel it does match the competition the best ( and I think it will win ) I am definitely voting for 15.

Oh! If 15 is touched up on photoshop, I don't care! It is so well painted! It is so well done! It is the most convincing. And what I don't like about the riptide is that he is just too bulky and thick to look real. (But don't get me wrong, I think everyone has pulled it off amazingly!) Whereas here...

Well, I'll stop rambling! I was impressed by everyones efforts and results!

Very Well Done.

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#23 » Jul 06 2013 08:45

Good job to everyone who entered.

I feel very lucky to belong to such a creative and talented community. I honestly like every one of them for different reasons, it was really hard to vote. :D

Congratulations to each member involved. Entering a model alone was a challenge and I applaud your commitment to finishing your entry and adding to our library of cool.

modelglue

timb6ea
Shas

Post#24 » Jul 06 2013 09:07

Good stuff everyone! Was very hard to cast my vote on this.
Will Flak'O for food.

hownowbrowntau
Shas

Post#25 » Jul 06 2013 10:37

Wow, I'm simply awestruck with the incredible efforts here. There are some amazingly talented modellers and painters on ATT.

My vote's gone to #18, due to the combination of smooth painting, excellent conversion, and I also enjoyed the sense of humour in the story element. It's an agonizingly hard choice to make.
Wait a sec...there are rules for Chaos?

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#26 » Jul 06 2013 11:07

Wow, all of these look great. Nearly all of the kits have something that makes them good between posing, painting, or modding; this is going to be a tough choice.

Congratulations to everyone.

Evets24601
Shova

Post#27 » Jul 06 2013 02:30

GAH I WISH I HAD GOTTEN MINE IN ON TIME!!! Darn photos...
Anyways, It came down to 6, 11, and 22 for me.
For 6, clean, awesome paint job with great highlights. Love the stance, and the head is awesome (May steal that from you ;), if you don't mind)
For 22, AWESOME freehand detail on the right thigh, and I love the paint scheme and the base.
However, as it is a conversion contest, I have to give it to 11. I love the aesthetic of the entire thing, Gundam -esque, and even thought it really doesn't seem to have a lot of the original Riptide model in itself, that doesn't matter one bit.
All entries were awesome!!!! :eek: And so much inspiration for new models!!!
And I'm still going to post mine somewhere, even thought I missed this contest!
[Insert clever signature here]

kernaleugene
Shas

Post#28 » Jul 06 2013 05:48

Kudos to all involved, B-E-A-UTIFUL work there
Shout out for number 5, simply because it's the same colour as my cadre, and a similar paint scheme to mine :biggrin:
But my vote is for #11. Great conversion, and a good paint job. Lovin' it.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#29 » Jul 06 2013 09:55

Am I correct that entry #11 is actually a scratchbuild? It's some top-notch work. I thought that it would have more votes.

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#30 » Jul 06 2013 10:15

For me it came down to 6, 12 and 23, I voted 23 in the end. The expert install and use of LED lights really enhance another dimension for me. Overall I was hoping for more cooler poses in the entries, but I think the high price tag of the model really hamper most of the participants.
For the greater good!

Blipvert
Shas

Post#31 » Jul 07 2013 12:45

Some absolutely amazing paint jobs but ultimately I went with 15 simply because of the sheer amount of conversion work.

Kudos to everyone!

Didi et Gogo
Kor'Vre
Kor'Vre

Post#32 » Jul 08 2013 12:13

AgentArrow, entry 11 is definitely a kitbash/scratchbuild. I can't even find one part that comes from the Riptide kit on it. Truly a superb piece of modelling.

Kad'ym'pembe
Shas

Post#33 » Jul 08 2013 04:36

Macknight wrote:For me it came down to 6, 12 and 23, I voted 23 in the end. The expert install and use of LED lights really enhance another dimension for me. Overall I was hoping for more cooler poses in the entries, but I think the high price tag of the model really hamper most of the participants.

I also voted for 23. I wish the lighting on the photos had been a little better, because I think the paintjob and conversion work on this one is superb, but not well caught by the camera.

Nevertheless, I won't be unhappy if 8 wins, because it took me forever to decide between 8 and 23 and I think that paint job is one of the best I've seen on a Tau model.

Cannonfodder
Shas

Post#34 » Jul 09 2013 04:21

I didn't vote since I took part but here are my closest favourites.

Since the contest goes for the best conversions, I went for the best conversions only. I did a fair amount of lighting models up and don't consider the entries based on these in this case since I was more expecting an esthetic work.

Number 18: All of the parts fit together nicely and the feeling is just right. What lets the model down is the pose and the lack of shield generator.
Number 13: Great proportions again. Best head in the competition - I am tempted to reproduce this one. The paintjob hurts the overall experience as does the position of the shield generator.
Number 17: Farsight in a riptide- great. How did you pull of that ion accelerator barrel- consider the idea "aquired" What the model misses though is the proportions, number 18 did so well.
Number 15: Every walker looks better with eight legs ;) Other than that I don't really agree with the choice of head. I think compared to other models the conversion is more of a simple kitbash.
Number 9: gundam with riptide. Nice blend and cool pose. A little too overloaded with weapons though.
Edit: number 23: It is hard to tell from the pictures but since I figured the pilot and cockpit were included and let the model look stock this really shows some skill.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#35 » Jul 11 2013 02:24

Cannonfodder wrote:I didn't vote since I took part but here are my closest favourites.

Oh well, that should not have stopped you from voting.

Just an example, no one would know if you voted for yourself, while a real sportsman votes for an other competitor.

I will now add the Names to the entries and take care of the 'paperwork'.

Cannonfodder
Shas

Post#36 » Jul 11 2013 02:48

My vote would have gone to number 18.

Return to “Resource Articles”