[Guide] Painting Thousand Sons Chaos Marines

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Shattered Spear
Shas

Re: How to guides to Painting my Thousand Sons

Post#11 » Sep 03 2008 01:57

This is a first draft and at this stage is sans pictures, which I will be adding just as soon as I manage to take some decent ones!

So to answer your post, yeah I always wanted to add photos, just none of the ones I have taken thus far are good enough![/quote]

Sorry, I got caught up in all of the tutorial goodness and lost track of what I read! Great work again and I am glad to see so many folks giving you great feedback on this. I f you are using a digital camera, the macro option might help you when taking photos of minis. I also know it can be hard to focus on painting something just right and taking photos of it at the same time. Best of luck!

shadowwalker
Shas

Re: How to guides to Painting my Thousand Sons

Post#12 » Sep 03 2008 06:06

I also know it can be hard to focus on painting something just right and taking photos of it at the same time. Best of luck!

That is the hardest thing. There are 3-4 stages of painting this technique where you have literally only a few seconds to work with the colour. Try working with it while taking pics quickly and you end up with some nice fuzzy pics! :P

I will be using some plain plasticard for the examples, that way I can paint a larger surface and theoretically have more time to take pictures. Painting a mini that will eventually go into my army, I am hesitant to stop to get images for a tutorial as it will likely impair the overall quality of the model. Also the smaller surface areas are harder to take good photos with when I only have a small digicam that was designed for taking happy snaps of people and landscapes (I find a 10x zoom helps little with model photography). Also if there is a macro setting on that camera, I haven't found it! (really need to look through the manual)

Anyway, should be able to get onto this over the weekend (sorry for the delay)... At least with the cold mornings ATM and no heater wood left, paint dry times have increased dramatically!

I would also like to encourage anyone giving this tutorial a go to contact me if you have any problems, if you supply images of the *botched* work I can give tips as I should be able to see what went wrong. (when you have painted as many marines like this as I now have, you can tell the problem by looking at the result)

lightning
Shas

Re: [Guide] Painting Thousand Sons Chaos Marines

Post#13 » Oct 20 2008 12:23

I have followed your Thousand Sons blog carefully! With my silver/red Tau scheme I cannot use this technique, so I'm gonna practice on sprues, spare weapons etc. so that come my second army I can use wet blending to my heart's desire!
Sorry for the rant
Hopefully I'll go for a Tyranid/Daemons army and shall use wet blending on the claws and skin.

Cheers and good luck,
Lightning
PS. Can't wait for your second installment!

shadowwalker
Shas

Post#14 » Nov 18 2008 05:22

Thanks for the post Lightning, and wow, someone stickied this! :biggrin:

Wet blending isn't a technique that "just works" and while I try my best to explain it here until I edit this with images it may be difficult to understand fully. There are a number of things that if not done just right will ruin an attempt at wet blending.

The best advice I can give it to keep trying it, practice and practice until you can pull it off every time!

Now that the Golden Demon painting rush is over I should hopefully be able to flesh this out a little more now. The Thousand Sons are calling me to continue their cause, so I should have plenty of models crying out for photoshoots.

I might try and borrow a video camera too, this technique really is easier to SEE it working than describing the process with words...

wiele
Shas

Post#15 » Feb 17 2009 01:07

very nice indeed. great stuff. real GD material. but you already knew that hey.

got some pics of mine. not that impressve, but a nice try I think. am painting a tzeentch army for a friens (payed commission work).

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/ ... usand1.jpg

hope you like them.

will post my cadre some time too (they were on this forum a while back in time, but I'll take some better pics)

greetz

shadowwalker
Shas

Post#16 » Dec 06 2010 06:30

Massively late reply sorry, but I'm just getting back into this forum after a long absence. Checked out your marines and they look great mate, even just lightening the blue like you have improves on the GW colour scheme which I really am not a fan of. :)

I'll have to get onto adding those pictures to the tute, over the next week or so I'll have more time so shall endeavor to paint up some marines for that purpose :)

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”