Grey Knights Army ++Completed 14 October++.

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Grey Knights Army ++Completed 14 October++.

Post#1 » Sep 10 2008 06:18

I've been having a great deal of problems with motivation for quite a while now, but this may have been finally put to rest (for the time being) by a visit to my local GW store about 5 weeks ago.

A notice was decorating the check-out area. It said: "Are you fed up playing with unpainted miniatures? Take up our challenge to paint a 2000pt army from scratch between now and the 31 October. Those who complete this will be allowed to take part in a special "Entrants Only" GW Tournament using their newly painted army".

I have had a bunch of Grey Knights languishing in a carry case for about 3 years, so I thought "What the heck!" Having not had to work on a Marine list for some time or on a Daemonhunters list *ever*, I decided to keep it to as few models as possible but with a bit of variety included in the model selection (ie the henchmen) so as not to get bored. Here's what I came up with.

Grey Knight Hero (using Stern model but not as Stern)
4 GK Terminator Bodyguards

Inquisitor Coteaz
11 Henchmen: 3 Acolytes, 2 Mystics, 2 Hierophants, 1 Cherub and 3 Combat Servitors.

6 GK Terminators: one incinerator.
Brother-Captain.

Eversor Assassin

Inquisitor
3 Henchmen: 2 Servo Skulls, 1 Gun Servitor with plasma cannon.

3 5-man squads of Grey Knights: two with incinerators, the other with a psycannon.

Please note: I didn't bother to post up the wargear as this is not a "Rate my list" post, so please do not give suggestions for improvements :biggrin: .

So far, the following have been completed:

Inquisitor Coteaz (base needs completed; the model was painted a while ago)
and a couple of servo skulls, painted around the same time as Coteaz.
Closer shot of one of the skulls:

One Eversor:

and the second Inquisitor, front and side. This is a result of about 3 hours' work. A bit to do yet, but the main bulk of the model is done. The armour is Tin Bitz basecoat, then Tin Bitz/Brazen Brass mix, progressing to Burnished Gold, with Badab Black wash followed by Armour Wash. Devlan Mud is on the skull features, and Asurmen Blue wash was used over the white areas, which had been painted with basecoat Fenris Grey, then mix FG with Space Wolves Grey and a straight white highlight wetbrushed on.

The Grey Knight power armoured guys:

Justicar

Grey Knight shooting

Grey Knight with Incinerator

The whole gang

Group One

Group Two

I'll be treating this thread as a "blog", so it will be updated as and when models/units are completed. Hope you've liked what you've seen so far.

E.

shadowwalker
Shas

Re: Grey Knights Army WIP

Post#2 » Sep 10 2008 06:47

Nice work so far mate, this will be a good little army!

I like the different style you went for with the grey knights, looking forward to seeing the rest of the force!

Xeones
Shas

Post#3 » Sep 10 2008 09:41

They do look very nice all together. That's quite an undertaking you are attempting there. Best of luck in sticking with it!
SPRUE FOR THE SPRUE GOD!!!

Shattered Spear
Shas

Post#4 » Sep 11 2008 11:15

Great work so far E,

Painting this many models in such a short time will definatley motivate a person (or give them insomnia :dead: ). I really like the shots of the whole group. So many of the GKs are in action poses, it really makes them look like they are charging the field. What else is in the works for these deamon hunters?

-SS

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#5 » Sep 11 2008 02:39

Army list is in the OP, but at present it's the Terminators next.

E.

Fraggle
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Sep 11 2008 04:02

Looking really good so far! I love the tone of the red cloth on Coteaz, it's really nice. I painted a coteaz a while ago too, and it's a wonderful model to paint, what with being able to take your time getting the brass colour for the armour just right; something you've managed!

The Grey Knights look very well done too, and have an interesting twist on the standard scheme. All in all, they look amazing as a large force like that.

I'm looking forward to seeing your Termies, as I painted some of them too, and I think that they're fabulous. One thing I will say though, is to rest the model on something when you paint, as they're pretty heavy, and I ended up with a light sprain in my left wrist after holding 5 of them for a few hours each.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Re: Grey Knights Army WIP: updated 17 Sept.

Post#7 » Sep 17 2008 05:37

Well, ol' Eigle has been bashing away at these guys for a fair while now but finally they're done and dusted. I'll not bore you with a load of photos so here's just two of the Grey Knight Terminators.

Brother Captain:

and the Gang:

The white areas on some of the shields are annoying me, even though I've toned them down a little with Elf Grey. However, the plan was to put some sword transfers on the white sections but of course guess whose sword transfers are all about 2mm too long? (You may have seen the mushroom cloud over Northern Ireland last night - that was my reaction to this discovery.) So I am either going to have to try to do them free-hand myself (baaad idea - I can't draw for toffee) or find some kind mug - I mean, friend - who'll do them for me.

Anyway, at least the guys are done so I can now get on with the Henchmen and the Grey Knight Hero. Wish me luck; I'm painting him in off-white armour!

E.

Prophaniti
Shas

Post#8 » Sep 17 2008 07:33

Good work E. I've nearly finished my Dæmonhunters myself, just 2/3 of a rhino to go. As I'll be taking them to the UKGT heat 1 in October I'll have to get a move on. Pictures just before I go.
Nach dem spiel ist vor dem spiel

Fraggle
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Sep 18 2008 06:12

Nice work E! Loving the Terminators. One thing: I hope you got them off Ebay, otherwise you just wasted a whole load of money.

Anyhoo, try using slightly watered down chaos black for the swords, and a fine detail brush. That's what I used for mine, and it worked perfectly.

minamoto
Shas

Post#10 » Sep 18 2008 06:38

So I am either going to have to try to do them free-hand myself (baaad idea - I can't draw for toffee) or find some kind mug - I mean, friend - who'll do them for me.

Anyway, at least the guys are done so I can now get on with the Henchmen and the Grey Knight Hero. Wish me luck; I'm painting him in off-white armour!

E.

How did you do the little shield? Not freehand? Make a shape (if you can't draw them by hand, print out a pic) and re-draw with an pencil, then you can paint them carefully with your brush.
Or if you try to do them directly freehand: "sculpture" your little drawings, do not start with an outline, start with a "skeleton-construct". That's easier to make them slowy grow, instead of trying to make the right proportion at the first attempt.
I did little paintings on my BFG IG-ships an the bow.
you see the knight-helmet? guess how big it is :) , it's not a picasso but i really like how it turned out

Good work so far! I really like your modells. They prove that you can paint, really good!

Edit:
Bahh after looking at it here on the screen, it makes me feel not good... i think... must re-paint... now...

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#11 » Sep 19 2008 02:20

Thanks for the comments, guys.

@Fraggle: that is the plan, but my hands aren't too steady at the moment which is why I'm reluctant to "free-hand" things. That, and I can't draw to save my life!

The Terminators were more or less free - a guy was offloading all his stuff for nothing and I got hold of these guys. *Eiglepulper = skinflint*

E.

shadowwalker
Shas

Post#12 » Sep 24 2008 05:01

It really is quite easy to freehand sword designs if you know how to!

Firstly find the middle of your freehand area and paint your vertical line, this is the most important, don't make it look like a sword yet, just one thin vertical line.
Next paint your handle guard (not sure of the proper word for this, the cross section) just again paint a fine line perpendicular to the first crossing it about 2/3rds the way up.
Once you have these two in, start to shape the sword, add two dots onto the ends of the horizontal line and form the broad end of the vertical one. Just work on each side of the first line and you should end up with a nice freehand that is even. The worst thing you can do with a sword design is to make it wonky, so that it is fater on one side than the other, that is why painting in the first two lines first is so important.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#13 » Sep 24 2008 05:15

Advice noted and copied! Thanks for that, SW.

E.

Hierakles
Shas

Post#14 » Sep 24 2008 05:35

I love the cloak on Inquisitor Coteaz Eigle. I'm having to do a similar thing on my new Grumlok and Gazbag orc model, and it has been frustrating me so much. Any handy hints on painting cloaks like that? I searched the database, but the humble Shas isn't much into fancy furs :?
"May the Greater Good be with you"

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#15 » Sep 24 2008 11:43

Ok, we've been slowing down deliberately in the last week, as I have been painting the GK Hero and starting into the various henchmen for the Inquisitors. Some of the models I have used for these guys are pretty old and many are OOP, so a decent paint job is called for.

These latest photographs were taken outdoors today - we actually got a day of sunshine!! - but this has unfortunately bleached things slightly on some surface areas, so don't think I highlighted right up to Skull White!

First up: Bro Capt Stern model is my Grey Knight Hero.
Front:

and rear: this shot shows my attempts at painting marble on the sword. It's a force weapon, so I thought I would do something slightly different to the usual "blue effect":

Now for a Sigmarite Sister Superior, who is being used as a Hierophant:

and finally for this update a Primaris Psyker whom I am using as an Acolyte since I have two actual Imperial Psyker models to use as Psykers (strangely enough!)
Front:

and rear:

@Hierakles: I followed the 'Eavy Metal Masterclass in UK WD #279 for Coteaz.

E.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Re: Grey Knights Army WIP: More pics October 3.

Post#16 » Oct 03 2008 09:37

Ok, four more Henchmen to be added:

Imperial Psyker #1 front view:

and rear view:

Cherub: front

and rear view:

Imperial Psyker #2:

Wyrd Beastman (acolyte) front view:

and rear view:

I'm in the process of painting 4 Servitors, and that will leave me with three more models to complete before the end of the month. Hopefully I should be able to manage that.

E.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Re: Grey Knights Army ++Completed 14 October++.

Post#17 » Oct 14 2008 03:01

Ok, so finally I get the Henchmen done!

General (poor) picture first:

then an Acolyte:

a "Hierophant":

and finally a couple of Servitors:

I couldn't leave the Little Guy from the 'Coteaz' boxed set out, so here's the Sage:

If I get a chance to photograph the whole 2000pt army together, I'll edit this post.

It's been a challenge to do this army, but it has helped me to rediscover an enjoyment for this aspect of the hobby. Having the set time limit has also helped to focus me; the fact that there was another rule imposed on those of us who entered this challenge also helped - we were not permitted to have anything else anywhere near the painting station if we were doing any painting of our "Challenge Army". This was to prevent any distraction, like "Oh, I'll just do this model first", or similar.

I'm going to apply the same theories and limitations now to my Ravenwing army and get it out of the way too.

Hopefully you haven't been bored to tears by this thread/blog.

E.

SpartanTau
Kor'Vre
Kor'Vre

Re: Grey Knights Army ++Completed 14 October++.

Post#18 » Oct 14 2008 03:31

Eiglepulper :
Sorry, my tears of boredom were clouding my eyes...

Seriously though, I may keep reloading this page until a group shot is up. Each of the individual units and models is amazing, and I can only imagine what they look like as a cohesive unit. Each one has so much individuality, but at the same time connections can be made both within the unit and between other units as well while still keeping each one unique. Take the Terminators, for instance; each one is clearly a Grey Knight, but each has their own for of "heraldry," so to speak, with the differing shields, stances, character...

Now I'm probably boring you! Great job on the army, and I am eagerly awaiting the completed Ravenwing as well.
ON EXTENDED LEAVE

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”