My Imperial models (huge amount of pics) - Updated 13/6

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Plasmachicken
Shas

My Imperial models (huge amount of pics) - Updated 13/6

Post#1 » Feb 18 2009 09:16

These here are some of my Ultramarine models that I've painted up recently. I'm a pretty slow painter, so this thread probably won't be updated very often. ;) There's no transfers on these models - I much prefer freehand, and they never go on the rounded shoulderpads right anyway. I said that I couldn't highlight Ultramarines in my introduction topic - but I think I've worked it out now. Regal Blue is so awesome. :D

First up is Brother Melior - just a regular Marine

And a comparison pic with one of my older models - kind of embarrasing really. :sad:

And that's why I'm not posting up my older Ultras till I've repainted them.

Next is Speeder Gamma II

These guys are Blood Pigeons. My little experiment at painting grey. Apparently they just look like bare plastic, so I guess that didn't work. :sad:

And now for a few IG models. These particular ones hail from the 59th Cruwysian regiment. The first one is General Barrias Corbulo - actually the model of Maximillian Weisemann on foot that you get with a resin Baneblade (I don't own one, I just got this guy separate off Ebay.)

These guys aren't based because they're going to be part of a diorama. The Sarge was my first experiment with source lighting, and I assure you there's a perfectly good reason he's wielding a banana. ;)

And finally, the XVth Funestans. These guys are my main IG army. Unfortunately their painting is only really average, and I'd always envisaged them as having Greatcoats - however with still no confirmed rumours about Greatcoat IG, I'm not quite sure what to do with them.

Last edited by Plasmachicken on Jun 18 2009 03:54, edited 1 time in total.

russ29
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: My Imperial models (warning, huge amount of pics)

Post#2 » Feb 18 2009 09:38

Nice! I like the details you paint your models. Anyway, for your Blood Pigeons :roll: , you could probably put some lightly painted white to the highest point in the model, such as the pigeon beaked marine helmet. With that contrast, it might not look like bare plastic anymore. I'm currently painting(very, very slowly) my tau with grey, and the way I'm painting is to use camo-like scheme to make the models more alive with grey. Currently, it seems to be working for me.

The glowing effect seems a little too much at first glance but it gradually made me think its alright. But ultimately, I think your IG models seem nicer, maybe because of the faces. I really like them, as they seem to have really good emotions and its nicely flleshed out.(especially the first snow pic with the two guardsmen, with the right one screaming. "I don't know how to work this!")
Through unity, devastation

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#3 » Feb 18 2009 10:39

Blood Pigeons: highlight up with Fortress Grey or Astronomican Grey and then use a watered-down Badab Black wash over the model. It will pick out the crevices and reduce the highlighting slightly. That should help give a bit more definition to the grey.

E.

groffus
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 24 2009 10:25

isi think they look good the paint maybe a bit think but over all i think they look great
Last edited by groffus on Mar 10 2009 04:40, edited 3 times in total.
That man deserves a medal the size of a frying pan!

Puretide
Shas

Post#5 » Feb 24 2009 11:50

Wow, looking good mate. :D

You're speeder and commissar looks really proffesional!

May I ask you how you got that clear white on the land speeder? Did you spray It white or paint it? Need to know for my tau details! :)

Anyway for some constructive criticism, I think you should ease-up the blue lighting effect on your Sarge, It came up really nice on the face but a bit.. blurry(?) on the arm.

Keep up the good work!

-Puretide- :fear:

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Feb 24 2009 02:10

If you don't mind using none GW models Pig Iron do really nice Greatcoat looking troops.

Volthorne
Shas

Post#7 » Feb 25 2009 06:06

simply amazing :nice: . For a moment i was wondering how you made such realistic looking snow. Then I saw that it was actually real snow :eek:. If only I had a little more talent like yours......
You know your army fails when...

Shas'el Tur'in
Fio

Post#8 » Feb 25 2009 08:33

Shas'O Darklighter wrote:If you don't mind using none GW models Pig Iron do really nice Greatcoat looking troops.

Wow, I might have to use some of those "Heavy Infantry" for stormtroopers!
Working on: Codex: Ant-Men / Codex: Star Pirates

Plasmachicken
Shas

Post#9 » Jun 13 2009 12:23

And lo, he returns! :D

Well, I've painted up some more stuff since last time, including re-painting some of the old Ultras. I've also decided to do my army as a combined strike force of two chapters - the Ultramarines and the Scions of Strife, which is the old Blood Pigeon scheme but with a new chapter symbol and Hawk Turquoise in place of the grey. Makes more sense fluff-wise, as this army would be mostly fighting on the Eastern Fringe and as the Ultramarines have apparently been called away from there to deal with other threats, there wouldn't be too many of them left out there. I also have grand plans underway for converting a Land Raider Spartan - but first I have to sell off this old Crusader of mine that I hardly ever use. Sorry for the huge pic dump - the fact that I do variant freehand on all the shoulderpads means that you need a fair few pics to get all the detail in.

I think the old Sarge from the comparison pic is looking rather better now... :smile:

The plasma turned out rather too multi-coloured, giving a busy, messy appearance. I'm currently re-painting it as a more subtle transition from green to turquoise-blue.

All the Tactical Marines I've painted/re-painted so far.

The Blood Pigeons guy, repainted as a Scions of Strife Marine. Not 100% finished, still got to tidy some bits up and add some more details.

As for the IG...I've decided to redo all the XVth Funestans as the 59th Cruwysians, I just think the scheme is a vast improvement. However, there's no more Guardsmen to show you because first I need to buy a mahoosive amount of High Elf Archers to provide them all with robe-like longcoats, both fitting the Ecclesiastical theme and making them look less Cadian-y. The only exception to this is their Stormtroopers. In the fluff they're the Myrmidons, a bunch of elite zealots trained by Cruwys Morchard's Schola Progenium, highly indoctrinated into the Imperial Cult and almost suicidally brave. As such they are Kasrkin, but suitably converted with shiny Greenstuff aquillas on their shoulderpads, truckloads of purity seals etc. Here's one I made earlier.

I've also done a Sentinel - the new all-plastic variety. "Snap" will be part of a squad of three - the others will be "Crackle" and "Pop". :)

Top taken off so you can see the interior better.

The pilot.

Well, that's all for now. C&C appreciated as always.

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”