[WIP] Chapter Azera Knights

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

[WIP] Chapter Azera Knights

Post#1 » Mar 22 2009 01:32

Veteran Battle-Brother Glaudios pulled his relic blade from the orcs limp body, slick and oily blood falling from the shimmering blade back onto the already wilting creature. Glaudios noted with his heightened senses his fellow battle brothers performing similar tasks and gave but himself but a slight moment of satisfaction. Then, before any real respite could be found, he and his squad were taking their fell blades upon the next rushing horde of greenskins. Poor souls. If only their intelligence was enough to know that in this narrow alley, it would take ten thousand choppas to best the combined swords of the companies Vanguard warriors. Here stood twenty of the fiercest combatants in the sector, whose swordplay was no more battle than a dance of death. Glaudios grinned again as his blade cut through an orcs torso so smoothly that as it flew through the air, it continued to cuss at him for a few moments before it died ten feet from its lower body. Thus, was battle, and the dance continued.

Above, a half dozen thunderhawk transports disgorged their combatants, assault squads eager to join the fray. Artillery pounded somewhere in the distance, providing the battle-thirsty warriors a beat to pace themselves to. The battle of Ankaro Forge was underway, and not an Ultramarine was to be found....

This thread is, hopefully, going to chronicle from start to finish my second attempt at collecting a real and complete Space Marine Company. However, I am going to go about it squad by squad instead of the usual "grab it all at once" approach. And by "squad by squad" I mean everything. I will be basing, converting/painting and completing a single squad at a time. In addition to that, I will also be naming each member of the squad, writing at least a page of history containing the squads past campaigns, deployments and notable achievements.

My hope in doing this will be to have not only an army worthy of table top prowess, but also a unique and fully documented complete Company. Every member will not just be a model, but have a history and a story. I hope you all choose to come along on the ride, and by the time I'm done, maybe you'll know more about the Azera Knights than the Ultramarines!!!

I really want this company to be assault oriented, and therefore found it only appropriate to start by buying two boxes of Assault Marines! I'm in the process of putting them together and hopefully will have pictures posted in a couple days.
Enclave of the 7 Swords: 12-5-2

Aquaterry
Shas

Re: [WIP] Chapter Azera Knights

Post#2 » Mar 22 2009 06:41

This probably belongs in enemies and allies, But I look forwards to the pictures :D
"Insert witty comment here....."

J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Mar 23 2009 12:23

I've started putting together my first squad of assault marines, and should start painting tomorrow! Hopefully by Friday or so I can post up some pics of at least one finished model, preferably the Veteran Seargent.

One thing I realized I need to do is buy the new SM codex, lol. That way I can kind of put together a list so I know what I'm buying in the future. I do have a "core" list though that everything else will be built around.

Captain Shrike
attached to 10 man Vanguard squad

Chaplain w/ Jump packs
attached to 10 man Assault squad(power fist, etc etc)

10 man assault squad with the works

Predator(Annhilator Pattern)
2x Whirlwinds

This will form my core, while the rest will most likely then be filled out with either combat or tactical squads. The idea there will to take multiple scoring units in case of objective games, or a good number of hard whole units in annhilation games. Unfortunately I'm not sure on points, but my goal for now is 2000-2500 points.

In case you didn't notice, I really like assault squads and/or Vanguard squads. These will move as one unit, more or less, and pile into the enemy gun line en masse OR come in via deep strike and confound the enemy. The biggest threat in the army is the assault range provided thanks to Captain Shrike. An average movement phase is 15" with the assault squads(9" with non jump marines) and a max assault range of 24". Combined with their ability to deep strike and assault, the Vanguard will be seeing action hopefully the moment they arrive. With luck and decent deployment, all three jump squads can be in CC by turn two!

Meanwhile, the predator will be providing dedicated anti-tank/TEQ eliminating firepower while the whirlwinds attempt to provide anti-infantry and pinning firepower to the field. Everything else(tac/combat squads) will just be icing to the cake.

J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Mar 25 2009 01:03

Here is the fluff concerning my Chapter!

AZERA KNIGHTS: The Defenders of the Mocais System

Basic Info:
The Azera Knights, like many other chapters of the Second Founding, borrowed their original Gene-Seed from the legendary Ultramarines. Calling the Mocais System their home, a rare system with 8 of 9 planets being habitable, the Azera Knights quickly established a name as valiant and courageous warriors. Favouring close combat to ranged combat, the Azera Codex made several distinct changes to the original Codex Astartes, though for the most part all else remained the same. The first was the exclusion of infantry based Tactical-Dreadnought armour. While almost all other chapters organize their 1st Company into Terminators and Veterans, the Azera traded their portioning of Terminator suits for a large quantity of assault and artificer armour. As such, the 1st company of the Azera Knights consists of 2 squads of Vanguard Veterans, 2 squads of Sternguard Veterans, 6 squads of Assault Marine Veterans, 4 Venerable Dreadnoughts and the Council of Masters. While some would frown upon giving such high honours to mere assault marines, each and every member of the 1st company has served in excess of four centuries, and to be named to the 1st company, a marine must first earn terminator honours. Those who have witnessed the company in battle often rescind any previous negative criticisms.

Another notable distinction is that all marines endevour to become assault marines! Where a normal Space Marine may be promoted from a sergeant to a veteran, or to a terminator honorific, the ultimate goal for an Azera Knight is to be gifted with a Jump pack and a consecrated chainsword. It is of worthy note that assault marines outnumber tactical marines in the chapter nearly two to one.

The Azera Knights also ignore the Codex Astartes limit of ten companies(1000 Marines) without shame. Instead, they borrow a page from the Black Templars, maintaining a number of "Crusade Companies" of unofficial numbers. Due to their star systems large number of inhabited planets and their high populations, recruitment is ripe at almost any give time. Estimates proposed by the Inquisition have suggested that the Chapter numbers at least five thousand minimum, while others claim that is impossible. However, it should be noted that the Chapter does maintain a full 10 chapters, as well as at least one reserve company for Tactical, Assault and Devastator elements. In addition, rumours claim that an additional six reserve scout companies also exist. If the Inquisition could ever find a way to nail down the exact number of Azera Knights, it is certain conflict would arise, for such numbers begin to hint of past Space Marine Legions, a formation of warriors long ago forbidden.

Homeworld: The desolute ice world of Mocais V is the only uninhabitable world in the Mocais system, a large planet covered in pure ice and often plunging into temperatures in excess of -50 celsius. While many originally fretted at the choice, those concerns were put to silence when the CrusherCrush !WAAGHH! made planet side and was frozen entirely within 24 hours. In fact, any visitor brave enough to visit the planet will be greeted by still standing orc corpses frozen in spot.

Recruiting:
Meanwhile, recruiting from the other eight planets has lauded the Azera Knights as Angels of Death to some and Gods of War to others. Of the eight planets, six are fully functioning Hive worlds, producing a steady flow of revenue with which they pay taxes to the great Azera Knights. The other two are barbarian worlds, quarantined by the Knights. It is here that the most hearty of recruits are found. While other Chapters choose a select few warriors per year from an entire system, the Knights take one male at the age of twenty from each world every few days. While it is unknown how many of these actually survive, it is reported that at least one new Scout Marine is celebrated every day within the Fortress Monastery upon Mocais V.

Battle Tactics:
The Azera Knights, through their trade of nearly ninety terminator suits, have aquired a great deal of other deadly pieces of war. Drop Pods, power weapons, consecrated swords and bolters, the list is continuous. With such a nearly infinite selection, the Azera Knights chose to favour quick, lightning assaults that delivered not so much rapid assault as they did irresistable force. Knight squadrons almost never break into combat squads unless during extended campaigns. Except for in rare cases, Space Marine squads never arrive by Rhinos or Razorbacks, instead falling from the sky by means of Drop Pod or Jump pack.

The exclusion of Terminators allows the Azera Knights to field far greater numbers of Space Marines than normal, and in addition to their much larger roster, it is rare for them to ever act out of whole

It also of interesting note that not a single Landraider is listed in any of the Knights Armouries, nor has one ever been observed in an operation. However, they do seem to have a much higher number of predators and Whirlwinds than any average chapter. Speculation as to whether this is due to another questionable "trade" is undecided at the moment.
Last edited by J'Kaara Nan on Mar 31 2009 02:01, edited 2 times in total.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#5 » Mar 25 2009 06:53

This is some really interesting stuff! I really like how well thought out your fluff is and it seems like you've planned your list pretty well too! I have always had a desire to make a Marine Company in the back of my head, but I just find them really hard to play. I think I am more used to my squishier Tau and Nids. But it's stuff like this that gets, me motivated! Keep going man!

I'm interested in seeing some models put up. Can you give us a color scheme at least?

lightning
Shas

Post#6 » Mar 25 2009 11:00

I'm really interested in the hobby side of this. I try to do quite a few painted armies to sell on eBay and an entire company would be fun, but not yet... having just begun a small Flesh Tearer force to sell, until it's exchanged for some cash I'm lacking in the funds department.
Maybe next year, maybe next year...
I like your fluff too, but I'm sort of annoyed when you say they have never failed a mission. That is one thing that really annoys me. *tries to remember to put some epic defeats in my fluff*
Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#7 » Mar 25 2009 07:24

Lightning makes a good point. Winning every battle tends to make them seem a little too idealistic and unbelievable. It also makes them pretty one dimensional. Loses can add conflict and depth; making the characters more relatable and interesting. It adds a sense of drama to them when you can see the characters pulling themselves from the ashes. I think that is what makes me dislike Marines. They are just so darn good at everything!

I hope you don't take this as me schooling you on any fluff! You've written some good stuff in the past. I’ll be looking forward to more soon!

J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Mar 25 2009 10:44

Mmmm. Good point. I decided to change it for now, as I realize that adding some defeats allow me some sweet chances to add some sweet fluff and other stories.

My next post will be a pretty complete team bio for my captain and his retinue of Assault Marines.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#9 » Mar 30 2009 09:21

Any updates?

I've been reading this thread, which has made me very interested in a fluffy army. Maybe you'd enjoy it too!
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146205

J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Mar 31 2009 02:06

Recent musings with some of my more veteran Space Marine buddies has led to a general re-structuring of my proposed list. I'm currently re-working it, basing it off a largely "Drop-Pod" type army, something that has yet to be done at my gaming store. I plan to have 5 or more drop pods once finished, topping the company out at about 2500 points(for future 'Ard Boyz tournies). I figured out that you could take about 40 marines with missile launchers and D-pods for under 1000 points, so that will be the "Core" of this army now...

Have a couple units built, trying to work on colour scheme and getting a good camera. Look for updates pretty soon, sorry all for my crazy slow update pace.

PS: Thanks for that link, thats a pretty cool idea and similar to mine! I'm in love with his paint scheme and have considered "borrowing" parts of it, lol.

J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Mar 31 2009 03:23

Secrets of the Chapter:

Almost every chapter since the first founding has its share of deep, dark secrets, and the Azera Knights are no different. Where the Blood Angels have the Black Rage or the Red Thirst, the Azera Knights also maintain a guarded secret not often discussed outside the walls of the their Fortress Monastery.

The Eighteen White Fangs of Mocais

Unlike most other chapters, who follow the teachings of Guillman nearly to the letter, the founders of the Azera Knights took generous liberties with how it should be translated. While the main body appears to follow the Codex Astartes nearly to the letter, the majority does not. The Ten Companies that represent the chapter deal with a large majority of political appearances, lending of troops to allied chapters, etc etc. However, the Eighteen White Fangs are the true arm of the Azera Knights.

Each "Fang" is a formation of Knights, 250 strong, permanently deployed to outer colonies and battlefronts maintained by the Azera Knights. These Fangs choose uninhabited planets, moons and asteroid belts as staging grounds for their eternal crusades. While considered largely clandestine and self dependent by the Azera Knights, these Fangs draw upon the Knights large number of recruits to replace their losses. To avoid being associated with the Knights and thus drawing attention, if inquired the Fangs refer to themselves as dispatched units of Ultramarines or another successor chapter.

The existence of so many Space Marines is indeed also a liability to the Chapter. Should it ever be discovered their true strength, it is without a doubt that they would be exiled by the Inquisition. The Chapter Masters, however, still maintain that is the only way to achieve their mission, which is to push all traces of xenos and chaos out of their sector.

One notable characteristic of the "Fangs" is their build up of Artificer Armour and other ancient Marks of power armour. Due to their need to re-use any armour from fallen space marines, even their newest suits of armour are several millenia old. Inquisitors investigating incursions fought off by "Ultramarines" are often confounded when the locales tell tales of "Ancient" warriors walking through enemy fire, tearing apart tanks and men alike. More so are they confused when the Ultramarines deny any involvement in the area.

1st White Fang of Mocais
Under Command of Grand Lord Master Bledel Markis
15 Honour Guard

25 Sternguard Veterans
25 Vanguard Veterans
75 Assault Marine Veterans
125 Tactical Marines

10 Predator Annhilators
10 Whirlwind Siege Tanks
10 Vindicator Siege Engines

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#12 » Apr 03 2009 09:00

I like that your Marines avoid using Termie armor and Landraiders. I've found that I like armies that don't use the formulaic approach in their lists.

Now get us up some pictures of that color scheme! :P

J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Apr 03 2009 09:09

I figured this would give the army a very distinctive feel, since almost any Marine list now seems to require Terminators and at least one Landraider.

In my defense, I did some math and figured hell, I can take 20 Marines and two drop pods for the price of one well kitted Terminator squad... And another pimp squad of something for the price of a Landraider.

I've re-formulated my list and think it will be very very competative. It will feature 40 Space Marines in D-pods, a Venerable Dread in D-pod and two Iron Clad Dreads in D-pods. Also there will be two squads of Assault Marines and two Chaplains with Jump packs.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#14 » Apr 03 2009 09:56

Ooh, I like this list! I'm not a big fan of Chaplains though. I thought you would put a Captain or Master in Articifer armor and jump pack though. What made you choose the Chappies?

J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Apr 03 2009 10:07

I thought about doing a captain/master but when you look at the overall effectiveness, a Chaplain is far more devastating when you stick him in an assaulting squad. He has a power weapon, an amazing save AND he allows you to re-roll hits every time you charge with him(the entire squad, mind you). This is amazing, as it allows you to tear through large swarm units OR match accuracy with more skilled elite units. In the end it also is pretty unique, since I've yet to see anyone take two generic commanders instead of at least one special commander.

On another note, I can't get my cameras macro to work. I don't know what it is exactly, but either I don't know the right button or something. For the time being, I am going to be posting some fluff, which will cover one of the "Fangs" campaigns. For future refference, this army will be the Second White Fang of Mocais.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#16 » Apr 03 2009 10:47

I see. I guess that makes sense. I know that the Chaplain lost a wound in the new codex and some were turned off by that. Anyways, I love the concept of the Ironclad and I look forward to seeing how you use them. I do love Dreads! I'll be watching this thread closley!

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”