[Warmachine] Ell's Growing Battlegroup

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

[Warmachine] Ell's Growing Battlegroup

Post#1 » Mar 25 2009 12:30

My current Cygnar holdings:

Warcasters:
    • Commander Coleman Stryker
    • Captain Victoria Haley
    Warjacks:
    • Ironclad
    • Charger
    • Lancer
    • Hunter
    Solos:
    • Journeyman Warcaster (alt.)

I also picked up two Iron Kingdom's models - Valeria Alvaro, Ordic Pistoller and Taryn di la Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage - to use as Gun Mage Captain Adepts.

In the coming days, I'll be posting WIP shots of my budding Cygnar army. Right now, my focus is on pinning/building (and eventually, painting) a starter 350 point force:

Army Points: 350/350
Victory Points: 13
    Captain Victoria Haley
    • Ironclad
    • Lancer
    Journeyman Warcaster
    • Hunter

As always, any tips, hints, or suggestions would be mighty welcome!
++TFTD: He who promises peace, promises damnation.++

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Re: [Warmachine] Ell's Growing Battlegroup

Post#2 » Mar 25 2009 08:04

The first thing to mention, just offhand, is that the battlegroup is the warcaster and the jacks that the warcaster controls. That's caused occasional confusion with people, so better safe than sorry. :smile:

With that said, the best advice I can offer is not to take any advice. There's lots of ideas about what you should take or shouldn't take, how this or that or the other thing is poor or a must-have, but in.. oh, I'd say less than a month, all of that is going to change. Warjacks will get tougher, and possibly more costly (or cheaper, for that matter), the basic rules are going to change, and infantry is going to have rules swapped, modified, removed, or added. It's a good time to get familiar with the basic feel of Warmachine and starting to pick up an army, but be ready to disregard anything and everything people tell you about the relative strengths, weaknesses, and prowess of your force.

I suppose you could say it's not all that different than starting to pick up an Imperial Guard army right now. Keep your plans flexible.
The Most Important Rule: BRB pg.2

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#3 » Mar 26 2009 11:33

Fair points, Stormcaller. I know you're right about the "battlegroup" thing, but I always like using the "unique" name for an army - like "cadre" for the Tau. You found me out, though. :-(

As for the future: again, a great insight. I'm definitely making my army with an eye to the future. I've read the controversy over "infantrymachine"; while I don't know exactly how I feel about it (come on, Chain Lighting can toast 'em), I'm comforted by the rumors that MkII. will be more 'jack friendly - I definitely want a jack-heavy force. So I'm building my jacks in anticipation of their future increased usefulness. Speaking of which...

Lancer
This is the second warjack I've built; the first being my beloved Hunter. The Hunter is unmodified and not (yet) worth posting pictures of, but my Lancer has been modified some:

ImageImage

That's right! I switched out the Lancer's chassis with the Charger's - I wanted the Lancer to look like he was shouldering his target in a charge, and I wanted the Charger to appear as if it were standing still and lining up a shot. What convinced me the modification was possible was the fact that the arc node fit equally well on both chassises.

What was especially fun was making the head work - I wanted the Lancer to be looking over the shield, as opposed to pointing straight out of the body. I had to file down the left side (the side that was turned into the body), as well as the right (so that there wasn't such a sharp corner sticking out of the point). I even pinned the head, so I'm fairly confident it'll stay together.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#4 » Mar 26 2009 12:06

Very nice. The Lancer was one of my favorite 'jacks when I started getting into Warmachine, and it has aged well. I'm still a bit perturbed about the thickness of the spearhead, but it's easily forgivable, and easily modifiable with some effort.

As for a 'jack heavy army, as I said, MkII's going to be the biggest factor there, but you'll probably want to look at Darius, Nemo, and Kraye for warcasters if you really want a lot of oomph out of 'jacks on the tabletop. Darius is particularly adept when working with heavies, and Kraye does tremendous things for light 'jacks, while Nemo's just all-around powerful. Add in Strangewayes, Dirty Meg, the Dude (Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer), a Squire, and possibly a JWC, and you're looking at the largest pile of 'jack boosting this side of a hydraulics fan fest.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#5 » Mar 26 2009 01:04

Right now, I'm leaning toward Haley for my smaller-sized force, but I really like Nemo's fluff, and especially his epic model. Battle College says that non-epic Nemo is hard to use, but I've read battle reports that say otherwise.

Once I get a hang of things, I think my long term goal will be a 750 pt. army themed around lightning (how awesome is that?!). This'll give me even more an excuse to bring Katherine Laddermore.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#6 » Mar 26 2009 01:35

If you're going for lightning, there's two things you might want to look into.

The first is the special forces lists, which are one per faction. The Cygnar version is based around the forces that were being used to attack Sul prior to the events of Legends, and had a very strong lightning theme- particularly the fact that the various Storm- units were all immune to each others' attacks.

The second is that apparently in MkII, we're getting damage types, including Lightning. And all of the Storm- units will be immune to it, regardless of source. Which means you'd get similar functionality as the special forces, and possibly even better results.

As for Nemo, he's not terribly difficult to use- he's just not as straightforward as some others. He's much more into causing havoc than any real damage output, with a lot of abilities that will disrupt 'jacks, mess up formations, and generally make life harder for your opponent to do what they want. Honestly I'd say if you can master the complexities of the Tau, Nemo shouldn't give you any trouble.

Useful Nemo links: 1 2 3 4

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#7 » Apr 23 2009 02:32

Journeyman Warcaster
And here she is: my Journeyman Warcaster, variant model. She's the first Warmachine model I've finished, and one of only half a dozen models I've finished in my life.

ImageImageImage

I'm sorry for the darkness of the photos; I don't have the lamps for a good picture, and probably won't for a few months yet.

I'm most proud of her eyes, the lips, and the Cygnar yellow crest. If applied directly on black, Cygnus Yellow almost looks green, so I actually painted a tan undercoat for the yellow.

Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Apr 24 2009 02:24

I like the Journeyman, she looks excellent. If you're looking for cool models, try Ms. Eiryss Mage Hunter. She's a cool model, with some very useful, versatile abilities that compliment most army builds.
Augmented Puretide Council
The Tau Deathstar 2015: 8-1

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#9 » Apr 24 2009 05:00

Looks very nice- and yes, an undercoat is probably a good idea, though I'd personally probably go with Moldy Ochre or the Sulphurous one whose name I forget because my bottle of it came without a label. :P They're dark enough that should be less of an issue. If you want to try and get more detail out of your black, I would suggest one of the two following mixtures:

Cryx Bane Base basecoat
2:1 Cryx Bane Base/Thamar Black wash (heavy on the pigment)
Thamar Black wash
3:1 Cryx Bane Base/Thamar Black highlight
2:2:1 Cryx Bane Base/Coal Black/Thamar Black highlight

or

Cryx Bane Base basecoat
2:2:1:1 Cryx Bane Base/Coal Black/Greatcoat Grey/Thamar Black wash

The former is what I use on my Cryx, while the latter is what I use for the gun casings and similar elements on my Marines. The latter may work particularly well for Cygnar due to the fact the end result is something of an extremely dark teal, which could set off the yellow very nicely. It still looks black, but not such a flat black as to look unrealistic.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#10 » Apr 27 2009 11:50

SC, thank you for the very good painting tips - but sadly, that's not actually black on my model! :? It's just a really dark series of photos; once I have light, I'll take some more. I will keep the black color tip in mind, though!

Warjacks
I broke down and bought the Privateer Press Wet Palette yesterday, and I am very, very pleased with its utility. I've yet to try mixing colors on it, but it kept my colors alive for much longer than a dry palette. Also, the latent watering-down effect of the wet palette perfectly diluted my paints.

I've been working on a Lancer and a Hunter. They'll be Cygnar Blue for the armor (duh!), with Tin Bitz for the boilers and joints, and Blighted Gold (which will be lightened) for the armor's raised edges and rivets. I've tried to use as little silver as possible; I just don't like the look of blue and silver (except at Christmas), and anyways - them be traitor colors. I'll post pictures when they're closer to being done.

I've got a few questions (probably aimed at SC):
- Does PP have a Tin Bitz equivalent? Having an "almost the same" color is nice for shading.
- Do you have problems with Rhulic Gold? Every bottle in my FLGS was really thick, as if it had dried out. I've not had any other problems with any of their paints. Was this a fluke? Thank God I've got pretty much every GW metal out there.
- Have you used PP's Armor Wash? Any good?

paulson games
Shas

Post#11 » Apr 28 2009 12:27

There's a tin bitz type color, Pig Iron is a very dark silver works very well. Molten bronze is a dark coppery color sometimes I mix the two for boliers and brass effects.

There was a bad batch of the gold and the bronze that are relaly think and gummy, I had those as well. Privateer has an announcement on their website some time ago, and if you contact customer service they'll send you a new bottle.

The armor wash is really good, I use it on most all of my metallics now, adds a nice deep color over the metals, touch of dry brushing and it looks much better than the GW metallics IMO.

The wet pallete is a god send, I've been gaming and painting mini for the better part of 15 years and my painting has grown leaps and bounds in the last coupel months, the wet pallete has been a huge part of that, it helps keep the paint thin and gives you a lot greater flexibility with mixing and blending. I've gotten everyone of my friends hooked on using it now, I cannot stress how nice they are to use.

check out http://www.brushthralls.com they have some amazing paint and modeling stuff for warmachine/hordes.
Last edited by paulson games on Apr 28 2009 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Dal'yth Mont'sha
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#12 » Apr 28 2009 12:37

Curse you both! (j/k of course)

I decided a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to get one of those wet palettes (after seeing one sitting around for at least a few months at my LGS). Of course over the last three weeks and visits to several different independent gaming retailers with PP stuff they are all out of the darn things. Murphy's Law at its finest....

For now all attempts of painting are on hold until I get one. On the bright side this means I can concentrate on assembly and modeling for my Tau, Raven Guard and Iron Warriors armies. If I get really pressed for something to do until one becomes available I suppose I can re-pin *grumble* my Protectorate of Menoth stuff, their box had a few run ins with high shelves and cats recently... :(

paulson games
Shas

Post#13 » Apr 28 2009 12:40

On the brush thralls forum there's a tutorial for making the "poor-mans wetpallete" basically just use the blister pack and the sponge that comes in there with a piece of parcement paper and instant wetpallete for free.

You can also follow D6Veteran's guide here. - ST

No excuses! ;)

I do recommend getting the actual one as the paper inserts are all pre-sized and it latches closed for when you need to take a break. It will keep the paint wet and perfectly for hours, best modeling related product ever.

PS you can also rinse off the parcement paper when you're done and let it air dry, you can get several uses out of each piece.
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#14 » Apr 28 2009 01:17

Man, thanks guys for the comments! I really appreciate it!

Ironically, Tin Bitz is a very coppery color, not silver at all. Thanks for the heads-up on Molten Brozen, and I'm glad to hear that the Armor Wash rocks. Also, I appreciate the info on the PP recall - I'll look into getting a new bottle.

I did use the converted blister "poor man's wet palette" - in that thread ST linked, I responded with a link to the BrushThralls forum thread discussing it - but I couldn't get it to work. Regardless of how much or how little water I used, within a minute of me putting a paint blob down, the paint would shrink into a very small ball. I think the parchment paper I had bought was too waxy (or something!), and just wasn't working. Since the really cheap parchment paper was all I had invested in the process, I didn't think it that big a loss - but instead of trying to invest more time and effort finding better paper, I just figured I'd get the "professional" kit. I used it for the first time today, and man has it improved my efficiency! I didn't know that about reusing sheets - I'll have to try that out!

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#15 » Apr 28 2009 07:05

The closest equivalent to Tin Bitz is probably going to be either Molten Bronze (which is the most notorious for being bad paint- this was a first run issue and I don't think it's cleared all store shelves yet) or a mix. Possibly something like Rhulic Gold mixed with Brown Ink.

If you're looking for something like this:

I used a basecoat of Brass Balls with a 4:4:1 Brown Ink/Armor Wash/Umbral Umber wash. You could darken it further by adding a second coat, or possibly by using a darker base color, such as Rhulic Gold.

Incidentally depending on how you want your metals to look, No Quarter 16 had an excellent process:

1. Basecoat with Cold Steel
2. Wash with 2:1 Bloodtracker Brown/Armor Wash
3. Wash with 2:1 Exile Blue/Armor Wash
4. Highlight with Pig Iron
5. Highlight raised areas with Cold Steel
6. Highlight rivets and edges with Quick Silver

The results are an excellent polished steel that really looks impressive.

If you want to try something a bit different, you might also like my version of cast iron:

ImageImage

The general idea's not all that different from the earlier suggestion: basecoat with Cold Steel (or any other mid-range grey metal) and then do two washes, Brown Ink and Blue Ink. Unfortunately I can't recall what order- I think Blue then Brown. :sad: But the end result is what you see above. I actually did that back when I had only the Vallejo Game Color line (P3's were not made for another year or two) but it should work regardless. I like it for the fact it reminds me of cast iron pipes and similar things, which seem highly appropriate for the high pressure systems of things like warjacks.

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”