Swamp Imperial Guard

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
shas'o cam
Shas

Swamp Imperial Guard

Post#1 » Mar 31 2009 04:54

Hi,
I'm thinking of doing imperial guard when the new codex comes out, but I don't want my force to look like everybody else's. I though a Swamp Mechanized Company was a cool idea, and I found some minis I think will go very well. I'd like to recieve some CC on my idea's, so here goes:

Chimera
The armies vehicles will be hovercraft, as this fits the swamp theme really well. The Chimera's amphibious rule works excellent here, and I have 3 turret options to choose from. At 4 1/2" long, it ought to be the ideal size for a transport, and not to long for a Chimera.

Leman Russ Executioner
Agan a hovercraft, with what looks like a Twin-Linked autocannon, this make an excellent LRE. Unfortunately there are no sponsons, but it may be possible to model some onto the vehicle.

Leman Russ
Again a hovercraft, Standard turret caters for normal, heavy 20, and possibly another mode, with a pintle Heavy Stubber. Missile mode I'm not sure about, but I'm sure there's something it could do. I'm not sure about the mixed turret, other than that it could be a Leman Russ Annihilator, if the guns were railgun type-things. Comms version works well as a Salamander command vehicle.

Allied Inquisitorial Land Raider (maybe)
The support Turret option allows both a LR and rusader to be built, with advanced targetting systems representing the fact the Lascannons are twin-linked. This probably won't be used in most games, but it is an option and the model is cool, as welll as being as cheap as the rest of the force. (LR = £9, CHIMERA = £10, this = £21)

Autocannon Sentinels
Light Scout Vehicles, these represnt Sentinels with Autocannons. The CC ability is represented by the fact only trainees who need to be punished drive these, and they are usually mad and will run people over! I thought the weapons best represented Autocannons, but maybe they should be something else?

Valkrie
Just to cool to pass up, this huge aircraft represents the command squads Valkrie. It has a nose mounted Lascannon/Mini-Railgun and I think I'll buy some rocket pods to go under the wings.

Basilisk
I needed some self-propelled artillery, and this looked as similar to a Basilisk as I'd get. A bit of converting will be required for the hull Heavy Bolter, but otherwise it looks fine. I'll be attaching accesirries to this, as with all the vehicles, but this will probably be quite heavily upgraded, with chains, ammo boxes, fuel drums and grab handles.

Transport Truck
This is a really coll model, so I don't want to pass up, but it'll obviouly be a house rules unit. I might also give it the equivelent of a pintle-Mounted Heavy Stubber, so its at least armed.

Tank
Not sure what to use this for, but i like the model so I thought i'd put it up here anyway.

I'll probably add rivets and bolt to all my models, to make them look more Guardish, but there won't be any major changes otherwise. So, what do you think?
Cam
P.S All of these models have a Tracked/Wheeled version, and most have an anti-grav version to, so they're ideal models if you looking to cheaply expand you armoured force.
Kroot don't learn. Kroot are commonly used as speedbumps.

OniBeowulf
Shas

Re: Swamp Imperial Guard

Post#2 » Mar 31 2009 06:20

I think this would be a pretty interesting twist on a pretty defined army. I would be really interested on where you went with this project. I would imagine getting the side guns on the tanks to prove slightly difficult but more power to you.

BrightLance
Shas

Post#3 » Mar 31 2009 07:57

Those models are really nice- do you mind posting the link to the website?

thanx...

:D
Non est ad astra mollis e terris via.

GhostofMan
Shas

Post#4 » Mar 31 2009 08:13

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#5 » Mar 31 2009 09:18

I think putting wheels on the bottom as opposed to hovercrafts to make them amphibious would be better, but if you put them on flying bases really low it might look a lot better.

royalpain88
Shas

Post#6 » Mar 31 2009 11:33

I would rather buy the turrets and weapons. That will be spify enough.
Gentlemen do prefer blondes.

Arkion
Shas

Post#7 » Apr 01 2009 04:59

Wow. I can already imagine those decked out with Catachans. Awesome find.

Obviously you'll have some issues playing them in tournaments, but if you kitbashed you could make them legal. I think just keeping the chassis would add a distinctive flair, personally... all depends on how much cash you want to spend.

Also, this was posted on GW Spain awhile back... Might give you some inspiration.Drookian Fen Guard

joc-wi
Shas

Post#8 » Apr 01 2009 03:15

I hope you know the marvellous swamp-necrons of "hive fleet moloch". They might be an inspiration for doing the bases:
http://www.hivefleetmoloch.de/terror_from_the_black_lagoon.php

I personally would keep the sentinels. Sure, they are not the best equipment for a swamp army - but sentinels wading through a swamp on their base could look fabulous...

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#9 » Apr 01 2009 05:54

Clip the legs down a little and make some watery ripples around the legs and it would look really amazing. You could make them like the walkers from SW III (the ones on kashyyk) since there was a scene of them wading through a swamp. (only about 30 seconds long though)

DrBored
Shas

Post#10 » Apr 19 2009 12:04

This is a wonderful idea, but I personally would have a few concerns, particularly with WYSIWYG, and other rule stipulations. For example, the model you have for the Leman Russ and the other for the Extinguisher look very different base wise. The Leman Russ from GW look very similar, save the turret. I'd recommend trying to use the same base for certain tanks globally, particularly the Russ.

I'd also worry about size comparison. Are these tanks about as big around as the actual GW products? If they're bigger, you have an advantage as more troops can hide behind them, and if they're smaller, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. I'd love to see a picture of one of these besides a Guardsman to see size.

The above only really matter if you plan on taking this beyond a circle of friends. If you're making it purely for the aesthetic, then good on you and I can't wait to see what you do with it! Tournament wise, the entire thing won't fly, but if that's not a concern, then, well, that's not a concern!

Like I said, it looks like a great idea, I'd just worry about certain rules for playability.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#11 » Apr 19 2009 02:01

I'd like to point out to those interested, we have a host of links to various Alternate Miniature suppliers in our Resource Article section.

Which is where you can find Old Crow models as well.

following that, moving this too Enemies and Allies.

~ Tael.

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”