The Imperial Valkyrie

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
buffirn
Shas

The Imperial Valkyrie

Post#1 » Apr 14 2009 04:16

This past Saturday, I had the fortune to build the new IG Valkyrie for my LGS. It came to the store with no instructions, so I had to wing it a bit. Actually, I used the FW Valkyrie in the display case as a reference.

I've been building models for 40 years now and I can honestly say the GW is getting better in their basic model kit construction. There was very little flash and the fit was quite good. The only problem area was the pilot's and gunner's left arms and the clearance from the canopy and the sill. After some serious hacking and slashing, they finally fit. The canopy rails are quite ingenious. Most of the canopy is, of course, clear, but the rails are separate pieces that are glued to the sides of the clear canopy. The fit here was excellent and with a little delicate gluing, the canopies look like a single piece of plastic. With no instructions, I didn't figure out exactly how the door gunners and their heavy bolters went together and fit into the doorways, so I left them off. I think I can add them in later.

I used Tenax 7R plastic cement for the gluing. The cleanup of the parts took only my trusty Xacto knife. I finished it in about 3 hours, but your time will vary. I wish I had some pictures. Maybe on the next one.

I heartily recommend this kit despite the fairly hefty price. The model is very nice. It will be a great addition to my IG force which doubles as a Gue'vesa force. I can almost hear Wagner now.

Jim Williams
Old Guy
Just keep shooting! They can't roll that many 6's!

Xeones
Shas

Re: The Imperial Valkyrie

Post#2 » Apr 14 2009 05:31

Thanks for the run-down. Any pictures of the finished product perhaps?
SPRUE FOR THE SPRUE GOD!!!

BrightLance
Shas

Post#3 » Apr 14 2009 09:39

It irks me to say that my favorite model is no longer tau...

:sad:

Here are some pictures from warseer If you want to see the final product.
Non est ad astra mollis e terris via.

Xeones
Shas

Post#4 » Apr 15 2009 07:35

Thanks Brightlance. I'm pretty well up to speed when it comes to the 40K "rumor mill" and the new releases so I've seen those pictures. :P
I was just wondering if he had some finished pictures of the one he put together himself.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#5 » Apr 15 2009 08:40

Although not having actually built one of these models personally, I saw the GW Belfast store's one being assembled last week. As Buffirn said, it's a really lovely model. The chaps who were given the job of assembling it were taking great care - particularly with the clear plastic canopies - but there were no apparent complaints about the model being poorly made or anything. The result has made me think about getting one for my Inquisitor to play with.

Buffirn's other comment about using the Valkyrie as a transport for his Gue'Vesa reminds me that I have 20 Pig Iron Production models on order so I might just steal that idea of his.

*hums Wagner's little tune*

E.

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Apr 15 2009 09:16

I am definitely getting one of these for my Inquisitorial force, but the question remains how best to use it? I quite like the idea of delivering a Special Weapons Squad in one - 3 meltas and a couple of demolition charges, or maybe a platoon command squad with 3 flamers, a combi-flamer and a heavy flamer! Depends if they are transport options for infantry platoons or not - I have not seen the new IG codex yet.

Sholto

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#7 » Apr 15 2009 11:11

I had a chance to see the new Guard Codex and it is really something. However, it seems that there is no option for anyone to take the Valkrie as a dedicated transport. I guess it has to pick them up after deployment? If anyone understands this better, I'd love some clarification.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#8 » Apr 15 2009 11:21

BrightLance wrote:It irks me to say that my favorite model is no longer tau...

...Temporarily. I'd be surprised if we don't get some new toys once our codex finally arrives.
The Most Important Rule: BRB pg.2

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Apr 15 2009 12:02

Stormcaller3801 wrote:...Temporarily. I'd be surprised if we don't get some new toys once our codex finally arrives.
I didn't know we were getting one and/ or needed one :?

Sholto

Kirwyn
Shas

Post#10 » Apr 15 2009 12:37

I've seen references to a 2010 release on two different sites. Nothing from GW of course but... The sites might have been copying each other too. As far as needing one well, I think the Tau are eminently viable as they are but I think some changes need to happen.

Sorry off topic.
Action begets success.

Xeones
Shas

Post#11 » Apr 15 2009 12:52

Yeah, I as far as I'm aware, the Tau aren't really on the long-range forecast for revisions. It's a shaky possibility at best that Tau will get a 2010 revision. From what I've heard, it's more likely to be Tyranids in addition to some of the more likely codices like Space Wolves. I wouldn't be surprised if Tau didn't get a revision until 2011 or later (though I wouldn't mind being wrong). I think we'll be OK until then though (though I do expect things to get increasingly harder for Tau as the new wave of codices are rolled out). I certainly don't expect it to take as long to update as DE, Necrons, or the Inquisitorial forces though. Tau are a much more popular race than those armies with a broader fanbase willing to shell out money for shiny new stuff.

I have to admit I'm quite taken with the Valk myself. The concept itself is cool (C'mon who doesn't love the concept of Air Cav?), but more than that, I've always thought that the model really fit well in the 40K universe. It also means that you can field a Guard force that doesn't look like it came straight out of some WWI or WWII era alternate universe. Don't get me wrong, I like that time period and generally like Guard aesthetic, but the Valk helps the Guard look a little more sci-fi than they otherwise might --and I think that's a good thing.

Can anyone confirm what Wolfs16 said about the Valks not being able to be taken as dedicated transports? That'd be an interesting twist. You'd be missing out on the new sentinels or those speedy Template TanksTM that the Guard are getting unless you squadroned everything. I'm thinking that IG fast attack slots are going to be filling up a lot faster now than they used to.
Last edited by Xeones on Apr 15 2009 01:37, edited 1 time in total.

T0nkaTruckDriver
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#12 » Apr 15 2009 01:24

There's a leaked scan of the new IG book out on the internet available as a torrent; it's true, the Valks are not available as dedicated transports. They are a 1-3 squadron available as a Fast Attack choice. The Chimera is the only dedicated transport in the book.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#13 » Apr 15 2009 02:13

That sucks. I guess my Auxilary army will have to miss out on using some of those fancy new Fast Attack options!

Thanks T0nka!

Man'tid Korst'la
Shas

Post#14 » Apr 15 2009 08:31

While they can't be dedicated transports, they are still useful.

I got a chanced to do a play test of the new codex at my LGS (huzzah for preview copies!) and was reasonably impressed.
They are definitely more of a gunship rather then a battle taxi especially if you pay the points to either run them as Vendettas (3 TL lascannons) or attach rocket pods and door gunners for much anti-infantry dakka.

I had a reasonable amount of success running a pair of them as a Veteran delivery team. They moved up, dropped two squads of vets; one led by Gunny Harker (Str 4 FNP with a relentless heavy bolter) and the other one by Lukas Bastonne (can give orders to his squad). Between the two of them they managed to neutralized two Ork Trukks and their squads.

That particular formation ended up running at around 660 pts.

Later on that game they managed to inflict a grand total of 21 hits on an ork mob (One of the valks was out of range with its rockets :( )

In general, a valk heavy army will play very much like Mech Tau. Fast transports with hard hitting infantry back up while you have gunships in the rear providing fire support.
Now the owner of the 24th Harakoni Warhawks. :D

BrightLance
Shas

Post#15 » Apr 15 2009 09:42

In general, a valk heavy army will play very much like Mech Tau. Fast transports with hard hitting infantry back up while you have gunships in the rear providing fire support.

This is exactly the kind of army I have always wanted to play, but the price really keeps me from doing it.

Does anyone know if the Valk will still use fast skimmer rules in Apocalypse, or can we use flier rules in stead?
It would almost make it worth the $58...
Non est ad astra mollis e terris via.

Man'tid Korst'la
Shas

Post#16 » Apr 15 2009 11:14

You get to pick when you make your list.

I know I'd rather have Valks as flyers as even though you lose AV12 for AV11, you only cost maybe 50 pts more, only can be hit on 6's, can fire all your weapons no matter how fast you moved, have superior mobility, and can act as a poor man's interceptor. Combine that with the Elysian data sheet in IA: Apoc and you have a platoon mounted in valks that appears at the beginning of your first movement phase and immediately starts running interference. Vedetta's will still be useful in their skimmer form due to their ability to DS. They can come in from the back table edge to get rear armor shots and to deploy a nice screen of guardsmen for you opponents to chew on.

Stormcaller3801
Shas

Post#17 » Apr 16 2009 05:06

Hmm- squadrons of transports? That raises some interesting possibilities. Nothing you probably couldn't do with independent transports, but still- given that Valkyries (at least per the rumors) can drop squads mid-flight, you could do some interesting things with forward fire bases and attack runs.
The Most Important Rule: BRB pg.2

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”