Feral Ork Army Project - [WIP] Hang Glider Ork 20090615

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
KoAnuk
Shas

Feral Ork Army Project - [WIP] Hang Glider Ork 20090615

Post#1 » Jun 15 2009 06:01

So I've settled on turning my AoBR boyz (40 of 'em) into a Snakebite Orks army with a very feral theme for the Battlefoam Wild West Shootout in October. Here's the army list, without points, rhyme or reason only for reference of models to come.

Old Zogwort
Pig Dok with Totem of Gork and Mork (Counts as Big Mek with Kustom Force Field)
13 Kommandos (2 Burnas and Snikrot)
44 Boyz (I have 36 pictured here)
2 Nobz with Power Klaws
4 Squiggoths (Counts-as Trukks)
1 Giant Squig (Counts as Deff Dread)
4 Big Squigs (Counts as Killa Kans)
16 Stormboyz (Hang Gliders, pictured below)
1 Stormboy Nob with Power Klaw

Without Further Ado, here's the Prototype glider boy. C&C, please, I'm trying to figure out what everyone thinks before I make the other 16; or add to this one. There's a lot of gap filling to do where the feet have been pulled back and where the arm was cut. For what I did, I built the glider out of plasticard, took some thin rod and threaded it around the body. The ork is actually one of the Nobz from AoBR, they're about the same size as the stormboyz from the box set.

And here's the Boyz, with some examples of the warpaint I've done up for each of the Orks.

As with above, C&C welcome. I need to finish off the bases, but given the nature of the event and the fact that it's a themed army, I was going to go with some Resin/Plains type of bases.

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Feral Ork Army Project - [WIP] Hang Glider Ork 20090615

Post#2 » Jun 15 2009 06:54

Very nice glider...I would suggest adding more straps and a few mini-rockets.
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

KoAnuk
Shas

Post#3 » Jun 15 2009 07:24

Militant.Jester wrote:I would suggest adding more straps and a few mini-rockets

My thought's exactly. I was already thinking about mini-rockets, and I suppose they would still fit into the theme of the army. I just didn't think that one GIANT rocket was going to do the trick, and I bought a box of stormboyz before I realized just how much teknology they have dribbled all over the model.

Any advice on placement of the rockets? Thoughts on quantity? My idea is to build up a harness out of greenstuff, now that I've been away from the model, and placing the rockets either at cut-off wingtips or about middle of the wing on both sides.

Kauyon'la
Shas

Post#4 » Jun 15 2009 11:35

Oh wow, this is an awesome army idea, KoAnuk!!

I've always found that Feral Orks to one of the fun theme armies that would be a lot of fun to convert and play with. You really hit on some army theme synergy just from the army list alone with the amazing idea of big squigs with guns strapped on being used as Dreads and Kans combined with the Pig Dok being able able to 'fix' them. Combine that with Boyz riding atop Squiggoths into battle and hang-gliding Stormboyz and you my sir(or miss) have an very unique army.

On your Stormboyz I really think that they look awesome but they seem to clean. What I mean by that is that they should be a little rougher, with poles in their gliders looking like branches and the glider canvas looking like tanned animal skins or pelts. That might be a little hard to accomplish now that I think about it but I hope if offers you some inspirations.

~Kauyon'la

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Jun 15 2009 11:38

KoAnuk wrote:
Militant.Jester wrote:I would suggest adding more straps and a few mini-rockets

Any advice on placement of the rockets? Thoughts on quantity? My idea is to build up a harness out of greenstuff, now that I've been away from the model, and placing the rockets either at cut-off wingtips or about middle of the wing on both sides.

I think that in the middle of both sides, on the underside would be best. Probably about the size of 2 ork heads.

Big squigs...nice!
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

TheAmbit
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#6 » Jun 16 2009 12:04

I really want to see all of these squigs and squigoths. Snap some photos!

KoAnuk
Shas

Post#7 » Jun 16 2009 12:58

@theambit

Unfortunately, no squigs or squiggoths yet, but hopefully with this thread as motivation I'll get my Milliput express rushed. Right now the bare "blob-etons" (magic modeling foam skeleton forms) are drying. I'm expecting a little bit of shrinking, but hopefully I can layer on the good stuff and get to work. The squiggoth are a more intensive project, as I'm going to be working them up from the OLD Ork Wartrukk and the Lizardmen stegadon model. Someone did a good job over at dakkadakka using just the stegadon model, but I want mine to be less dinosaur-y. I suppose we'll see, but I'm trying to get a stegadon body over the next couple of days; which will be a great place to start.

Here's that link for the dakkadakka Stegadon. Also, somebody did a FANTASTIC job with scratch building (yes!) a WHOLE squiggoth.

Stegadon:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/230025.page

Scratchbuild (Definitely worth looking at!)

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=39257&st=60

Gniknok
Shas

Post#8 » Jun 19 2009 12:33

Feral orks? Wonderful!
I too am a fan of beast armies, (working on a beast heavy Kroot mercs army atm) and there simply are not enough of them in 40K. Nids are the only one to speak of (though demons are close) and they are too alien to be beasty imo.
Your boyz show a great start, and the war paint is nice, but I think they need more elements that emphaize their feral nature. I would suggest adding lots of bits from the kroot sprues - skin bags with bones, satchels, meat hooks etc... as well as trying to incorporate as many of the WFB savage orc models as possible. This would really help to bring out the primitive and savage flavour of your army. Heck, you could even use the boar boyz as bikers (like the old Cyboars...) with a bit of converting to bring them into the 41st milennium (albeit a pretty backward part of it :) )
As for the gliders, I think it is a fantastic idea, but like Kauyon'la I think that they need to look a little more primitive. Perhaps using use little sticks tied together with string and bits of stiff canvas fabric instead of plasticard? I also am not a fan of the idea of adding rockets, instead I would have the pilot drop bomb squigs! He could have one caught in a net (easy to make from plastic or wire mesh, or string) dangling one of the struts.
And for the giant squigs and squiggoths, I have done a fair bit of looking around for alternative beasts for my Kroot, and I just stumbled on the company Scotia Grendel:
http://www.scotiagrendel.com/page3.html

I don't know what policies you and your friends have about using non-GW minis, but they have some hilarious and wonderful beasts that would be perfect for all sorts of orky projects. Their prices are really good too, the smaller cavalry are about 7 or 8 pounds for packs of 3, and the largest warbeasts are in the 20-25 pound range, pretty fair when compared with the forgeworld squiggoths... don't know about their postage though...

Here is a taste of their crazy beasts:

Orc Necrodons

Goblin Carnodons

Orc Carnosaurs

Orc Gorathosaur with two crew

Orc Gorathosaur

Black Orc Warbeasts

Lesser Goblin Wartower

Necrosaur with Harpoon

Titanosaur with Catapult

Titanosaur with Howdah

For ordering info, prices and ranges check out either
http://www.scotiagrendel.com/grendel_creatures_1.html
or
http://www.spiritgames.co.uk/figs/leviathan.php
and this guy has a blog that review some of the kits and had nice pics of some of his models and conversions (this is where the painted ones are from)
http://leviathanwar.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.html

I'm even thinking of getting some of the gorathosaurs for my Kroot... not as good a fit as for orcs, but it could work perhaps :nice:

Cheers!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#9 » Jun 19 2009 07:44

Fun project with your Ork collection. Good luck for the comp! :)

In future could you post any non-tau army related content into the Enemies and Allies forum.
(I have moved your thread in the meantime)

thanks,
Tael.

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”