AT43 - The Cogs Faction (Due August)

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

AT43 - The Cogs Faction (Due August)

Post#1 » Jun 26 2009 06:28

Hi All,

I have been updating ATT's Alternate Alien Miniatures Resource (Much updated and added, I recommend you have a look) and discovered these fellows will be available soon. A bit of converting to add some pose variety and voila'.. some lanky alien interlopers are almost ready to take on the tau.

The Cogs

Infantry
Image Image

Power Suits
Image Image

And this bad-boy..

Martial
Gue

Re: AT43 - The Cogs Faction (Due August)

Post#2 » Jun 26 2009 07:07

you know what Tael?

since i've already used those miniatures to convert my gue'vesa stealhs, i think i will update some crisis with those wonderfull legs and jetpack i saw on the cogs models!! :D

and since the Rackham HQ is just at 25 miles from my home they always sold their figs with a pre-release, maybe end July here!! (can't wait!!!! :evil:)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#3 » Jun 26 2009 09:14

You lucky son-of-a-krootaun..

Hmmm... I think I just found our reviewer for the kits when they come out.. :crafty:

El'Iey'Asu
Shas

Post#4 » Jun 30 2009 12:55

This French site may interest any COGS fans, especially the concept art section.
http://www.figouz.net/AT-43/Cogs.php

One of my favourites is the translucent plastic Stalker.

Personally I hope GW remodels their DarkEldar in a similar style to AT-43 Therians.
Following GW's track record of not being averse to nicking other people's IP. :eek:

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#5 » Jun 30 2009 01:05

El'Iey'Asu... thanks man, you've made a Fio so very...very happy..sniffle.. wonderful artwork, from my limited French the site is a goldmine for AT43 fandom.

The cog articles are great!

Did this size comparison up, I'm pretty sure its close enough, the human was featured next to a Tau miniature in a comparison I've seen before. Without further adieu.. Cogs, reminding the Tau how short we are..

~ Tael.

Martial
Gue

Post#6 » Jun 30 2009 02:18

to do scale comparaison, a G36 (the crisis suit like) exo-skeleton is 5.2 cm height and a crisis 4.8 cm!

(i made a lil' jump at the HQ store and torture one of the designer with my questions! but i didn't tell him what i will do with their models! :P )

Warhound
Shas

Post#7 » Jun 30 2009 02:47

Slaps forehead with a rail cannon slug!

These are aweful! I have the original sketches from some 2 years ago somewhere and was incredibly excited about them as a concept back then. However, time has moved on, Rackham has changed its mind, policies, strategies and by the looks of it, got rid of the good sculpting talent (as they usually do) and produced something that I can only describe as amateur.

There are no new key design elements here, only rip offs from about a billion different sources, a mild attempt at creating a pre-70's feel with the box lids (starship troopers?- sensationalistic sci-fi anyone?) and a bad taste in colour schemes.

I realise that part of the problem is that they are pre painted (oh please don't tell me these are the studio master versions!) and that the colour scheme is quite 'toy like' in its application, but crist, the lack of detail, physics and poor poor poor use of a metal frame table rubber cap for a torso block, means that these to me are dead.

Yup you heard me- disowned, cut off etc etc;-)

In all seriousness, Rackham- if you are listening- keep to a 2 year strategy.. nay plan, get the old talent that you had back, and stick to what you know- making beautiful shiny minis for use in some all right games. There was a day when you had the drop on GW for sculpting talent- but these just put you back in the 'play mobile' box for me (poor mans lego)

Sorry- I had to say something!;-)

cheers

W
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

Martial
Gue

Post#8 » Jun 30 2009 03:20

Warhound:
hey man, don't be so sad :)

i must admit the plastic Rackham used in his models is really difficult to convert (some sort of resin if you want my opinion)

but there's something they really improved since the first coming out of AT-43, their prepainting process is now far away from the Pandora starting box standards. I was amazed by the quality of their industrial methods on Red Block and Karman armies.

and to confirm what tael is trying to say, the backgroung behind each forces are interestings, the game concept is also simple to understand...

in our case, the AT-43 models give us a wonderfull mine of gold, we could used a lot of spare parts from the Cogs and U.N.A.!!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#9 » Jun 30 2009 03:42

Look, I'll agree the Cog models are a far cry from those great concept pieces. My intention is to purchase a few, then start modifying them back toward those very cool drawings. Small warband for encounter level games.

Still, these are a good platform to build some great alternate models out of.

~ Tael.

mangozac
Kor

Post#10 » Jun 30 2009 07:44

Sorry guys but I've got to agree with Warhound - I'm very unimpressed with these. I'll admit I'm not a fan of the actual design and aesthetic to begin with but the execution is just terrible. I honestly reckon you're better off starting from scratch then modifying this stuff. :sad:

Gniknok
Shas

Post#11 » Jun 30 2009 10:45

This:
Makes me sad... :::(

While I'm not big a fan of the models, I do think they have some components that are nifty, and I had hoped to use the heads from these guys:
as replacement heads for my vespid (I really dislike the vespid heads, but can't find a decent insectoid head to swap for them...) but your size comparison reveals them to be much too large...
boo.

El'Iey'Asu
Shas

Post#12 » Jun 30 2009 10:58

Shas'El Tael wrote:El'Iey'Asu... thanks man, you've made a Fio so very...very happy..sniffle.. wonderful artwork, from my limited French the site is a goldmine for AT43 fandom.
The cog articles are great!
Did this size comparison up, I'm pretty sure its close enough, the human was featured next to a Tau miniature in a comparison I've seen before. Without further adieu.. Cogs, reminding the Tau how short we are..
~ Tael.

It is a pity that the French site has it's pictures embedded in an odd way that prevents them displaying properly when you paste the site into Google language tools to translate the whole page.

Gads Shas'El Tael, I didn't realise just how large those regular COGS troops were !
Hopefully WarPuppy in QLD will have the army box sometime in August.

Martial - I agree Rackham's plastics are a pain to convert. Some models use more than one type of plastic. Often they use a flexible (ungluable !) type of plastic along with a more rigid and brittle type.

Warhound - it is a shame that Rackham appears to have lost a lot of their really talented scuptors.
Also I think they've "dumbed down" a lot of their scupts with an eye to ease of plastic production.
On the other hand some of their plastic stuff is actually better in the flesh than in the photos.

Although they've appeared to have dumped all their metal AT-43 models maybe we'll see some high quality resin ones in the future (maybe based on those COGS concept sketches). Then again Rackham love to torment us by showing the concept sketches of figures they didn't make. :::(

stillfrosty
Kroot

Post#13 » Jun 30 2009 11:33

I am kinda disappointed... I saw "Cogs Faction" and I instantly though hey could they really make gears of war model look alikes into a game... Well guess not. Besides that, these are interesting and weird looking models. At least they are better then the space apes that they produced not to long ago.

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”