The Spectres of Il'Kairith [Eldar Army Blog]

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Cire Mont'yr
Fio

The Spectres of Il'Kairith [Eldar Army Blog]

Post#1 » Aug 09 2009 07:36

This will be my extensive blog for a themed eldar army I am creating. Stay tuned for extra fluff information, and army planning. At the moment, I am attempting to get a strong army list together.

Hey Guys, I will keep this post quick. I typed it out in full earlier, but I was signed of ATT partially through writing it, so everything I had typed was lost. Basically I was trying to find a very competitive and hard hitting eldar list, at under 1000 points. I chose 750 points, and Wraithlord spam, incorporating 2 to 3 Wraithlords into the army. I am planning to post 3 seperate army lists, and have help determining which one is the most viable. I of course plan to explain which tactics I will attempt to use, as an all comers type of list.

First of all, the 3 Wraithlord List:
Farseer: 80 pts
-Doom

5 rangers: 120 pts
-pathfinders

10 Dire Avengers: 157 pts
-Exarch
-Bladestorm
-Dire Sword

Wraithlord: 130 pts
-brightlance
-Flamer
-Shuriken Catapult

-brightlance
-Flamer
-Shuriken Catapult

-Star cannon
-Wraithsword
-Flamer
-Flamer

-The plan behind this army, is to use the central part of the army (the wraithlords, dire avengers, and farseer) to push through the enemies base defenses and set up a type of phalanx with the three wraithlords, defending the dire avengers and farseer (preferably granting them cover saves in the process). Meanwhile, the pathfinder snipers will remain entrenched in cover, and hopefully receive a 2+ cover save, therefore being impervious to most weapons. Meanwhile, the main phalanx group will continue to push forward, and use massed firepower to remove any vehicles or heavy infantry. The farseer is used in order to avoid the dangerous effects of wraithsight. Once they come into range of a key unit, the dire avengers will use blade storm to do a significant amount of damage, then charge in (hopefully using the dire sword to target primary characters, or HQ choices, killing them instantly). The wraithlords will follow, and absorb all attacks made on the dire avengers and farseer unit. I plan to keep this phalanx structure, and depending on the battle, possibly have one wraithlord hold back to defend the pathfinders, and attack any unit further away from the central part of the army. The high strength lance weapons, coupled with the basic Wraithlord and dire avengers weapons, and very good close combat capabilities should prove useful for taking on a variety of different unit types. Overall, I think I prefer this army list the most, as it would be fun to play and should prove quite solid.
Strengths:
-Can ignore the effects of wraithsight, making the wraithlords more reliable.
-Plenty of Anti-Horde capability
-Hard hitting troops units
-Wraithlords may also benefit from doom, in close combat as well? (if allowed in rules)
-Ability to target high armour units, and most vehicles with ease.
-Many good cover or armour saves available (Snipers + Wraithlords)

Weaknesses:
-Fragile HQ unit
-Not very mobile
-Only 2 Troop units, may be problematic with objective based games

The 2 Wraithlord/Dire Avenger List:

Autarch: 130 pts
-jetbike, shuriken cannon
-power weapon
-mandiblasters

10 Dire Avengers: 120 pts

-pathfinders

-pathfinders

-brightlance
-Flamer
-Shuriken Catapult

-brightlance
-Flamer
-Shuriken Catapult

-The plan behind this list is much like the other, but in replace of ignoring the effects or wraithsight, we have a stronger Close Combat Punch, coming from an Autarch that ignores armour saves, with Strength 4, and a decent amount of high strength firepower. The plan behind this army is to use the pathfinders from a distance to snipe any units that could damaged the autarch and dire avengers by shooting weapons at them. These units will be weakened, and surpressed, while the rest of the army charges at them. The Autarch and the dire avengers will function together, and attempt to tie up key units, while the wraithlords attempt to destroy any heavy vehicles. The Dire Avengers are the only useful anti horde unit in the army, and will hopefully be able to soften up the unit they will tie up in combat. Eventually the Wraithlords will be able to finish off any high toughness unit. The issue with this army is the fact that, if Wraithsight is to occur, the Wraithlords will be very vulnerable in close combat to any high strength weaponry, such as powerfists.

Strengths:
-3 Troops units, providing extra firepower
-Stronger HQ unit, able to hold against enemy squads itself, and ignore armour saves, decent ability against hordes.
-Decent anti-horde ability
-Decent ability against vehicles
-Wraithlords provide large targets, may absorb firepower

Weaknesses:
-Risks wraithsight with both Wraithlords
-All units are rather fragile
-Half of the army is very vulnerable to assault from fast moving units
-Expensive HQ unit, that is alone and will likely absorb lots of firepower
-Mediocre Close Comabt Units
-Units do not benefit from each other very well, may be uncoordinated
-Expensive troops units, which may be very fragile, and not be able to deal very much damage at close range

The 2 Wraithlord/Storm Guardian List:

Autarch: 125 pts
-jetbike, shuriken cannon
-mandiblasters
-scorpion chainsword

14 storm guardians: 124 pts
- 2 flamers

-pathfinders

-pathfinders

-brightlance
-Flamer
-Shuriken Catapult

-brightlance
-Flamer
-Shuriken Catapult

This army is designed around holding the enemy in close combat until the wraithlords can arrive, to finish off key units. The army is based around a cheap troops choice quickly engaging the enemy only to draw fire away from the wraithlords and autarch. Meanwhile, while footslogging, the wraithlords will destroy any tanks, or less dangerous close combat units, until they may reach the units being tied up by the storm gaurdians. The autarch will play much the same role as the storm gaurdians, but attempt to help the wraithlords soften up units, before eventually tying up horde type units and preventing them from slowing down the wraithlords (this autarch is not expected to live very long). The pathfinders are used as purely a support unit, to fill in the gaps of the army, and weaken medium infantry and light tanks from a distance, while the rest of the army makes it across the battlefield. Hopefully the units will be weakened enough, making them less useful against the key units in the army. This army, having 3 troops choices would be suitable at taking objectives, then using them for cover. The army would also be able to adapt to the mission type, and fill numerous roles, but would rely heavily on cover.

Strengths:
-Adaptable to different missions
-Ability to make a large number of close combat attacks
-Draw fire away from wraithlords, using a larger meatshield of cheaper infantry models.
-Stronger HQ unit, that can tie up tougher units quickly, with higher strength attacks than normal eldar
-Decent ability against vehicles

Weaknesses:
--Risks wraithsight with both Wraithlords
-All units are rather fragile
-Weak unit with bad armour save makes up a large portion of the army.
-Units do not benefit from each other well, may be uncoordinated
-Expensive HQ unit, that is alone and will likely attract lots of firepower

Overall I am thinking of going for the first army choice, as it is much more reliable, and houses a lot more fun tricks to make the battle more enjoyable. I will post my thoughts on the blog later, as I slowly tweak the armies and amass the models, and figure out aesthetics of the army. I would appreciate some comments and critiques to these army lists, in order to make the army as strong as possible whilst still maintaining the wraithlord theme. Which army would you guys suggest? and can you see many holes in the tactics I am thinking about, that may need fixing?

Thanks,
Cire Mont'yr

SpartanTau
Kor'Vre
Kor'Vre

Re: The Spectres of Il'Kairith [Eldar Army Blog]

Post#2 » Aug 09 2009 10:37

ATT :
Remember, Cire Mont'yr wants help with the THEME of his army, so suggestions about his THEME should be included in any subsequent posts.

Cire Mont'yr :
Hopefully my warning is heeded. Since you plan on doing much more than just these three lists in this thread, and I'm interested to see how you handle it, I'm leaving this unlocked for know. Should this devolve into a "rate my list" thread based on the comments, I'll have to lock it down. Good luck with this army!
ON EXTENDED LEAVE

ultralemming
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 10 2009 01:22

I very much prefer the first list you have posted, because of a combination of the 3 wraithlords over the 2 and the farseer over the autarch. For both theme and tactical purposes, I would suggest the farseer.

The only thing I'm not quite "sold" on would be your psychic powers, the dire sword, and one weapon on each wraithlord.
Having said that, I doubt you could solve these "shortcomings" within the point level you are playing in.

Doom's is an excellent choice for this list because it helps your measly str 3 exarch in close combat and makes bladestorm that much more awesome. If you did scale up the points levels, I would highly advocate adding in Fortune, as well as spirit stones.

The farseer I think should be in the army no matter what. If the eldar did happen to need support so much that they did go about "activating" three wraithlords(I don't know exactly how they do their wraith thing, but i know it leads to a sad demise for the being within the wraith construct, forgive my eldar fluff shortcomings.) they would surely send some form of seer to accompany their constructs and ensure their fate was not for a useless cause.

Well, sadly the diresword relies on leadership to perform it's function entirely. Though, it is still a power sword, and it comes with a pistol! Giving your exarch a mighty 4 attacks on the charge. Combined with doom, This may well be able to pile on enough wounds to be worth it anyway. So seeing that this could be looked upon as more of a fall-back plan, or a added bonus against characters and such, i see how it fits in this army and point level. Especially since it evokes the image of a frenzied exarch rushing forward after his squad fires all of their ammo and ripping the enemies to shreds while the wraithlords go stomp, stomp, stomp.

As it is, your wraithlords don't have so much long-ranged firepower, and have a good close combat prowess, but suffer from a not so impressive 3 attacks each. A canny opponent may be able to pick on your weak link of the 'phalanx' - the dire avengers. T3 4+ save, means they only last so long. They are the scoring, juicy center. This is why I would advocate fortune, because combined with wraithlords giving cover, it would make them much more tough. While most opponents will probably fire their measly rocket launchers and such at the menacing wraithlords, some may not. This is the only real shortcoming I can see tactically, but i feel you can make-do.

In conclusion, go with the first list. More wraithlords + more psykers = win. After writing this all up, I don't think you should change it at all.

P.S. I have always loved the triple wraithlord awesomeness, and at this point level it is even better. Always thought wraithlords were cool, but wraithguard... not so much. And sadly the internet's 'wraithzilla' lists include both. And by the way, I assume you would paint them in the Iyanden craftworld, correct?

minamoto
Shas

Post#4 » Aug 10 2009 03:53

Hi Cire Mont'yr,
First question:
what is your intension for fluff and background? It was not clear for me in your Intro. Ultralemming mentioned Iyanden.

For me a fluffy Eldar army is radical in any means... that's what the eldar are - obsessed - not like DarkEldar but with their way of war... I like the Idea of the Bladestorm like Biel-Tan uses... so dispatch the girls ;)

Your lists are IMO a mix of Alaitoc and Iyanden... Rangers and Wraithlords.
So decide either for a fluffy appereance. I think a Iyanden army wont work well with so low points.

If you haven't defined such a concrete fluff or wont follow any of the Craftworld's way I would go for a mix of List 1 and 2

Take List 2 swap the Autarch for the Farseer, for your Wraithlords, and give the Dire Avengers for the remaining points some goodies like Bladestorm.
So you will have a list with many troops and your Wraithlords wont risk a bad roll for Wraithsight, IMO the Wraithlords are the best units available for Eldar since ever. But the new ruleset made them a bit weak with that wraithsight-roll so you need them working allover the game.
The new Dire Avengers on the other hand become very good with the new rules.
And I always preffer Farseers before Autarch, but I have no experience with Autarch since I never have played them before. But Farseers are fluffyer anyways ;)

For the Greater Good! Hooray *cough* ... I mean ... errr... Let the KemPanSei suffer for their infamy

BDA
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 10 2009 07:12

To ignore the Wraithsight you have to be with in 6" of the Farseer, warlock or shadow seer.......... as you only have the one Farseer you may find your army will be to close together and get slapped silly by battle cannons. Also your force will be somewhat slow. Wraithlord are good but they will go down with alarming ease as you are unlikely to get cover saves and there are lots of weapons that can hurt them at long range and ignore there armour.

You could have a guardian squad with a sprit seer as it is in character with a wraith heavy army.

I have done 3 Wraithlord list in the past on a 1500 point scale Eldred and 60 guardians + a few warlocks to help out. It took a long time to get to where I wanted them but they did do a lot of damage once up close. I found on the way in they did not do much and I would have been better running them in. If you really want them do the damage then give them Wraith swords, shuriken cannon and 2 flamers and run them in. once you get into charge range soften up the target with cannon and flame and then start smacking them around with the sword.

You may find your pathfinders just get picked off if they are left on there own. Might be best to pick another unit to follow the lord's in. maybe a unit with a warlock?

Cire Mont'yr
Fio

Post#6 » Aug 16 2009 03:32

Thanks for all the responses. I have decided to go with the three wraithlord list, but mainly having it function at around 850 pts, but being able to remove one wraithlord to bring it down to 750 when need be.

Anyway, now that I have most of that determined, onto the aesthetics. I was planning on having the army on forest type bases, with foliage such as mosses and shrubs, fallen trees, etc. Basically, the pathfinders will be modelled to be hiding within trees and densely packed forest plants. The farseer will be standing on an oddly shaped tree trunk, much like Joek's recent painting expedition (just replace the ruin with a tree root :smile: ) The dire avengers will be on less interesting bases, with less elaborate interactions with their surroundings. Next the wraithlords will be modelled to be walking amonst the trees, and each may have a tree or other plant beside them. I would like to avoid them making too much of an impact on the area around them, and as such I would prefer to avoid them smashing trees down, or shattering rocks as it takes away from their elegant look.

I plan to buy the models very soon, so I will keep you posted as I collect twigs, and other possible basing supplies. :nice:

Do you guys have any suggestions on making a realistic looking forest base? Don't hesitate to post your ideas, or examples, in this thread.

ultralemming
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 16 2009 08:20

Your farseer idea reminds me of the limited edition Bonesinger model, if you haven't bought the models yet of course. The head comes not attached so easy swap there, and possibly add on a witchblade of some sort with just an arm swap and there you go. ;)
http://kallend.net/40k/eldar/spiritseer.jpg - just after a quick google image search.

And I agree on your point about the wraithlords. They shouldn't be crashing through things, but they should be walking in between trees. So, if you have space for that on the bases, I'd say go for it. (Tall, thin pine trees come to mind)

Good luck! :nice:

Cire Mont'yr
Fio

Post#8 » Sep 03 2009 08:57

Hey everyone. So after a rather long and unexpected hiatus, I am continuing on with my blog. About a week ago, my order from miniwargaming.com finally arrived, and let me say I was quite impressed with everything. It did take them a while to confirm my order, but I did however make a specific request for the farseer model. However, it only took 1 business day for me to recieve my package using Xpress Post Shipping. After opening the box, I was both surprised and amused to see a little extra bonus in the box everything came in (sure not models, but I was still impressed to a small degree). Anyway, I decided to show a play by play of my cutting it open and peering into the insides of the package, after a seemingly long wait. I have to say I was quite eccentric when I noticed the box hiding from me in the garage when I brought the dog out before work. :biggrin:

Here is the first picture, as I peer into the box the first time!

Next, the haphazard dumping of the contents (this is where excitement prevails over thought). Here you can see the little extra that came in the box, at the bottom of the frame.

A little more organized approach to my madness, here you can see everything I purchased (at great bargains I may add! Such as the green stuff tube and 100 "rare earth magnets" for only $17 canadian for each!)

Now I became a little overzealous, and skipped ahead to opening the peculiarly heavy scout box. I looked in, and, AGHAST, these models are metal! (I always thought the new eldar pathfinders were a plastic kit... :eek: ). Anyway, I had a look at some of the models, and this one specifically came to my attention. To be honest, even for a metal model, this warping of parts was horrific, and a fault on Games Workshop in my mind. Some of the models were worse, as their gun barrels were so warped I was afraid I would break them while fixing their shape.

Next I brought all the parts down to my actual warhammer "workshop" downstairs. I then realized it needed massive cleaning, so I decided to clean off all my old chaos stuff and other messes haphazardly spewed all over the place as if from some fiend of nurgle had been there. Long story short, I prepared all my tools for the long process ahead of me. Here are all the parts I intended to utilize in some way from my own stash of supplies and tools.

Sharp Stabby Cutty tools:

Textured, Varying, Foresty related items for basing. I intended to have a broad and varied amount of possible basing additions, to represent the diversity of an actual forest/barrens:

"Medical Items" for fixing up the models. Thick trombone paper clips for pinning, greenstuff for filling and sculpting, magnets for interchangeable options. Once again, look at the size of that greenstuff tube! :

Now the unboxing of the smaller boxes, within the box. I wanted to show you guys some of the sprues incase you were ever thinking of making some eldar purchases in the future. Starting off with the most interesting model, the wraithlord!
Here is a picture of the sprues to give you an idea! I have to admit though the wraithlord parts are skinnier than I thought so Initially I was put off until i compared different sprues and took an estimation at its rather appealing height.
The stack of all the sprues to make 3 wraithlords!

Dire Avengers: Now I was expecting only enough parts to assemble 9 avengers, and an exarch. But I slowly realized it came with enough parts to make 10 avengers, with options for 2 exarchs, and a decent amount of extra parts to make 2 extra models using gaurdian legs i had lying around. I was very happy that I had enough parts to make and customize 2 exarchs.

Scout Snipers- Behold the warpage!

Lastly the farseer:

Well that's all for now! Hope you enjoyed, I will hopefull have some updates soon, seeing as I have had these pictures lying around for a while now as a progressed on building the army.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#9 » Sep 03 2009 09:08

Thanks for posting this up! It always make me happy to see an army come together. :) The list your building looks really fun and has great potential for character.

I'll be watching! :D

Cire Mont'yr
Fio

Post#10 » Sep 07 2009 02:06

Hey Everyone,

I recently got some more work done on basing and building different aspects of the army. It has proved somewhat difficult to get nice looking bases that remain in some form of coherency, whilst imagining how to tie them all together with paint and other "basing effects". Anyway, I thought I would post the latest installment of images to get YOUR ideas and comments before I do gap filling on the models (incase you think their poses are a bit off or something). I have taken the time to pin most of the models to their bases for ease of painting (I think the exception being a very staticly posed pathfinder). Furthermore, I have begun to magnetize as many options as possible for the army, namely being the farseer's weapons, the exarchs weapons, and the wraithlords' weapons, which seems to be going smoothly and as planned so far. Anyway, I'll explain more with the pictues!

Farseer:
This model was pretty straightforward, added a magnet to the socket and singing spear arm, and filled the surrounding area with some epoxy putty. I do not have a witchblade prepared yet, but I am thinking that I will end up using a dire avenger wraithsword, possibly a scratch built wraithblade if I want to maintain a coherent look. I also added some extra ribbons to the back of the farseer, just to give variation from the normal model. These still need to be filled with greenstuff, or I may just sculpt them entirely out of it.

Dire Avengers:
^ The dire avengers still need their sensor spines and back spines, however I decided to leave them off so far for ease of modelling and filling gaps.
^ This last dire avenger was based on an idea given to my from my friend, to have a dire avenger hanging off a tree branch and drawing his weapon. I think it turned out really well considering I was trying to line him up with a natural twig.

Exarch Options!:
^ All the options available!
^ Shimmershield and Power Weapon options.
^ Diresword and Shuriken Pistol options.
^ Two shuriken catapult option.
^ Single shuriken catapult option. Also, I would like to bring to your attention, that his head is magnetized and can be swapped out for a normal avenger head if I don't want an exarch.

Pathfinders:
Some pretty basic conversions, such as a normal helmeted head instead of a bare face on one of them. 2 of them still need to be pinned, and all of them need their backpacks and filing, and gap filling still.

Wraithlord WIP and size comparison:
The wraithlord is still very WIP, as it needs its arms to be attached, and the weapon options magnetized on the arms. At this stage, the shoulder mounted weapons are magnetized, with each shoulder needing 3 magnets, not including the actual weapons. :eek:

Anyway, that's all for now. Still a lot of work to go, but I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying this! If any of you have any suggestions, I would be glad to hear them! :D

By the way, I was wondering if the administation could move this thread to the project logs forum. I understand that this related to enemies and allies, but I don't think I am getting as many responses as I could relating to constructive hobby related criticisms. After all, this is more of a project relating to modelling and painting. Would this be possible, just to benefit me, and make the thread more known to people interested in this aspect of the hobby? Thanks.

SpartanTau
Kor'Vre
Kor'Vre

Post#11 » Sep 07 2009 10:51

Cire Mont'yr :
That's probably due to the lurking nature of most of our membership, coupled with the fact that this is an Eldar project on a Tau-centric forum. I will not be relocating this thread; another of the 'Vre+ Team, however, may feel otherwise and move it to Project Logs. Just thought I'd give you my ideas.

As for the models, the basework that you've put into them is astounding! The rocks and tree trunks and everything else really describe your ideas for the army quickly and effectively, even in this unpainted state. I can't wait to see what the finished products are. Nice work with the Exarch magnetization as well. I can't even think about how difficult it must have been to get those tiny magnets in such close vicinity without them trying to fly apart or squeeze together.

The Wraithlord, however, is my favorite model, with the Exarch in second and the tree-grabbing Dire Avenger in third. The positioning of the main body parts, the angles of the weapons, and my mental image of where the arms are make that model really stand out to me. I am really looking forward to seeing that one done!

Keep up the great work, and don't get discouraged with a lack of responses.
ON EXTENDED LEAVE

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”