Deamonhunters - Plastic Kasrkins

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
paulson games
Shas

Deamonhunters - Plastic Kasrkins

Post#1 » Oct 18 2009 03:29

Was in the mood to model some guard stuff and had been thinking about picking up some of the pig iron guys to get cool rebreather troops but the idea hit me to convert some of my plastic cadian guards into Kasrkins as they look significantly meaner. I have a box of metal Kasrkins but I dislike the weight and why buy more squads when I have a couple squads of regular cadians that can take their place.

I wanted to pick up the cadian shock trooper heads from FW but my local bunker is always inshort supply of FW stuff and with such a small order and insane shipping prices it's not worth ordering direct from FW, then I realized I had rebreathers from the command squad and set about modifying.

Here's the metal figures for reference:

The lasguns needed modifying into hot guns, shorter range but AP3 :)
Did some very fine cutting filing and these should stand in very well, the ammo clip will be removed and power cables made of guitar wire will be added.

Here's the start of the plastic Kasrkin, he's currently armed with my interpertaton of a hellgun, both arms need modification and part of the torso shaved down so it's all fit together. I'll be adding greenstuff to the legs to make the armor plates and styrene bits for the helmet sensors. I'll be using them as drop troops deploying from Valkyries so they'll all have rope coils in addition to their normal gear load out. The rebreather is from the command sprue and the visored head came from a sentinal driver who had his face carved away to accomidate the rebreather. The mask slots run vertically while the metal models have horizontal ones, not sure if I should leave it as is or fil it in with greenstuff and redo the slots.

Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Sezar
Shas

Re: Deamonhunters - Plastic Kasrkins

Post#2 » Oct 18 2009 05:12

Awesome job there! Just don't mind about those rebreather lines, at least not till you have all your squads complete and see if it is really noticeable among them all together.

Just one thing I would change: it looks like grenades would have a hard time getting out from such a small hole from the launcher!
O'Sezar cadre's profile (5ª ed):
W - T - L
19 - 3 - 2

Mal'Caor
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Oct 18 2009 05:25

Ah, but they are not grenades - I think the gun is supposed to represent the basic stormtrooper weapon. I'm not entirely convinced it works for that, but I do like the gun itself. As Sezar says, the rebreather looks fine as is, and probably wouldn't be worth the extra effort it would take to re-work it. It also lends the model a little distinctiveness from the Kasrkin models.

I am interested in the Las-style hellguns you show, especially as my Gue'Vesa are getting re-integrated in to the Inquisitorial forces. I'd guess that the grip is from a bolter, but the ammo-cell at the back it a little harder to identify. Is it a burst cannon part, or something else entirely?

I look forward to seeing more!

ainoshiren
Shas

Post#4 » Oct 18 2009 09:43

Ive done something very similar to this1 couple of things I did extra was to use trooper shoulder pads as knee pads. as for the gun, the end of a kroot rifle looks awesome stuck to a las gun. i use the las barrel as a sight for said gun; no waste.

Also, if someone could provide a link to the human space hunk guy that Tael did a while back, there was a cool idea with a kroot shoulder pad that looks cool (although admittedly not Kasrkin)
オルクか~。切りがねえなぁ

Mal'Caor
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 18 2009 11:51

If you go here and click the projects tab you will find Tael's Hulk Hounds - I think they are the ones ainoshiren is refering to. I'm intending to 'draw some inspiration' :P from them for my own retasked stormtroopers.

Warhound
Shas

Post#6 » Oct 18 2009 12:50

SO, 'walking the dog' were we? ;)

Great use of time mate- this is a great example of what anyone can do if they put their minds to it! (not to be-little the work!)

I am unsure about the gun 'interpretation' purely on the basis that they are Las weapons, and this infers 'solid shot' type ammo- the design itself is way cool though!

Looking forward to the finishing touches, I am sure that they will be as coherent as the rest of the model;-)

cheers
W
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

Fio El's Workshop
Fio

Post#7 » Oct 18 2009 02:40

Kneepads!
Very nice work. I think you just need to GS some simple knee armour and they would be perfect.
Re-breather lines if you want, but they don't need them.
My son spends my 40K budget on Lego. No complaints here.

paulson games
Shas

Post#8 » Oct 18 2009 02:52

Yep I'll defiantely be working on the leg armor, knee pads and armor thigh plates. I think the grenade launcher kitbash will stand in for the veteran shotguns as there's not any shotguns on the standard cadian sprue. It's mean looking and soemwhat close to the design of ogryn ripper guns. The drum feed reminds me of the AA-12 automatic shotgun that doubles as a 20mm grenade launcher, very scary weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrizaO-X00

Shas'vre Shavaun
Shas

Post#9 » Oct 18 2009 03:00

Nice work paulson! I did not even know that there are re-breathers in the command box :eek: Maybe I should grab myself one of these …
I am also of the opinion that you do not have to rework the lines of the re-breathers, at least they will a proof that you made this Kasrkin yourself ;) (… although the wight could be a substantial proof of this fact :D )

The hellgun made out of the standard laser gun is first class. I would go with them instead of the grenade launcher one.

So long!
-Shavaun
Es ist soweit: Zwerge werfen weite Schatten

paulson games
Shas

Post#10 » Oct 18 2009 05:27

Mal'Caor wrote:I'd guess that the grip is from a bolter, but the ammo-cell at the back it a little harder to identify. Is it a burst cannon part, or something else entirely?

Yep the pistol grip is from a bolter as is the forward grip on the rifle. The little round cyllinder/plug on the back is one of the bands from barrel of devilfish burst cannon as it's a tad larger than the crisis suit ones. Could have done it out of sytrene but didn't have the right size tubes on hand.

The power source on these is actually from a cable underneath I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of plug/cell is but it's an extra little bit on the metal version that looks cool so figured I'd copy it for the plastic one.

The guns took a lot of time to get everything to match up smoothly so i'll be casting these rateh rthan doing each one by hand as that'd take a very, very long time. Same with the rebreather head I may 2-3 more but then I'll cast them as I have alimited supply of visored helmets and rebreathers.

ainoshiren
Shas

Post#11 » Oct 18 2009 07:53

Found the link

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13051&hilit=+hulk+team

With a little work they make great stromtroopers (plus the backpacks are great if you want an all plastic model Paulson)
オルクか~。切りがねえなぁ

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”