Space Marines take 2: the Dune Stalkers (Part 1: MotF)

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Space Marines take 2: the Dune Stalkers (Part 1: MotF)

Post#1 » Nov 25 2009 03:03

Well, my previous color scheme is cool, and I'll keep the few in said color scheme that way; however, it just didn't quite strike me in that I couldn't find a fitting name for them that kicked ass. Then, just a few days ago, I opened up B&C's Marine Chapter Name Generator for a laugh, and one of the names that came up was the Desert Stalkers. I kind of liked it, and with a simple word swap I came to the Dune Stalkers. At first, I was like "Hmmm", a little unsure where to go. I spoke with an old friend via IM, and after messing around in B&C's Marine Painter, I came up with this:

I rather liked it, and I finally decided to go through with it. To start things off, I'll begin with an HQ choice that's always intrigued me: a Master of the Forge with a Conversion Beamer.

The large lens in the helmet will count as the actual CB, while the backpack carries all the necessary components necessary to operate it. It is rather small for a CB, and is a gift from their father chapter, the Salamanders. He'll be an HQ in small games seeing as he clocks in at only 120 with this basic loadout, though a much more advanced version on a bike will come eventually. I have already begun painting this model, but it's 2 AM and I need sleep :P
Last edited by Fraggle on Nov 25 2009 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self censorship isn't permitted on ATT.

Mauler
Shas

Re: Space Marines take 2: the Dune Stalkers (Part 1: MotF)

Post#2 » Nov 25 2009 07:09

Unfair dude! I'm looking forward to seeing it finished...

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#3 » Nov 25 2009 07:22

Moved to "Enemies and Alternate systems" since this is not Tau-related.

The model looks good though, O-H ;) .

E.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#4 » Nov 25 2009 11:51

Mauler wrote:Unfair dude! I'm looking forward to seeing it finished...

How am I being unfair, hm? :roll: Either way, he's got his basic colors down (for the most part), so I'll (try to) post an update sometime today.

eiglepulper wrote:Moved to "Enemies and Alternate systems" since this is not Tau-related.

The model looks good though, O-H ;) .

E.

Thanks, E.!

stillfrosty
Kroot

Post#5 » Nov 25 2009 03:40

Is there another model you could use as a base for you master of the forge? This guy doesn't really look like a master of the forge or a techmarine.... he looks like a commander with a unique backpack.

I would try finding some iron hands models to work off of. Who knows what you could come up with using them as a base for conversions!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#6 » Nov 25 2009 04:15

stillfrosty wrote:Is there another model you could use as a base for you master of the forge? This guy doesn't really look like a master of the forge or a techmarine.... he looks like a commander with a unique backpack.

I would try finding some iron hands models to work off of. Who knows what you could come up with using them as a base for conversions!

Sure thing! Just give me the money I'd need to buy the set or the bits from said set! :P

In all seriousness though, I just don't have that kind of scratch right now. Plus, this is an INCREDIBLY old variant-possibly of VERY pre-heresy design-that's more compact. It's also been worked on by the Salamanders, and he can't have all the extra stuff seeing as the CB replaces it all. Also, the Dune Stalkers are a VERY mobile force, and he prefers to not have too much excess weighing him down.

Inq NicolePyykkonen
Shas

Post#7 » Nov 25 2009 05:18

One thing to keep in mind is according to Space Marine painting, a tech-marine is in red armor, librarians in blue, apothecaries in white, chaplains in black. Therefore he will, if painted according to the typical fluff, stick out like a sore thumb from the other Marines :) I don't think there'll be much problem with that.

I like the use of the Mechanicus symbols on there, the conversion looks very nice! Are you planning on having something different for Devestators (as typically that's a Dev sergeant backpack) or are you not going to use them? I look forward to seeing more of your work on this one :)

Edit: Just saw that you had the Mechanicus bits already included, my bad!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#8 » Nov 25 2009 06:14

M'yen Shi wrote:One thing to keep in mind is according to Space Marine painting, a tech-marine is in red armor, librarians in blue, apothecaries in white, chaplains in black. Therefore he will, if painted according to the typical fluff, stick out like a sore thumb from the other Marines :) I don't think there'll be much problem with that.

I like the use of the Mechanicus symbols on there, the conversion looks very nice! Are you planning on having something different for Devestators (as typically that's a Dev sergeant backpack) or are you not going to use them? I look forward to seeing more of your work on this one :)

Edit: Just saw that you had the Mechanicus bits already included, my bad!

Actually, he's going to break the mold. His Mechanicus shoulderpad and cape will be red, but otherwise he's been modified to match the rest of the force better. The reasoning is that the force is heavy with Mechanicus, and it's actually a rather mobile force. They try to blend in better with their brethren, seeing as they find themselves on the field for prolonged periods of time as opposed to sitting back on the ship all day. Also, the bits are left over from my friend's Long Fang conversions, so....if I use Devastators, I'll probably be getting a whole new box set.

Inq NicolePyykkonen
Shas

Post#9 » Nov 25 2009 06:21

Very nice :) One thing I've seen done here and there (typically the reverse of what I'm suggesting, but it'd work) is to have the Mechanicus shoulder pad and entire left arm in red. As an example, the listed Index Astartes for my Blood Ravens for a librarian is blue armor, with a Blood Raven shoulderpad and entire left arm done in their normal armor color. Reversing this could keep the majority of the figure matching the rest of your army, while adding a bit more of the Mechanicus influence.

Either way it's a swell idea, I'll follow the thread as best I can for some other Imperium thoughts :)

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#10 » Nov 25 2009 08:34

M'yen Shi wrote:Very nice :) One thing I've seen done here and there (typically the reverse of what I'm suggesting, but it'd work) is to have the Mechanicus shoulder pad and entire left arm in red. As an example, the listed Index Astartes for my Blood Ravens for a librarian is blue armor, with a Blood Raven shoulderpad and entire left arm done in their normal armor color. Reversing this could keep the majority of the figure matching the rest of your army, while adding a bit more of the Mechanicus influence.

Either way it's a swell idea, I'll follow the thread as best I can for some other Imperium thoughts :)

That's what I was thinking of, except it'd just be the shoulderpad, and the cape would be the same matching "rich" red while the rest of the army's cloth with be a more muted red, basically a terracotta color.

Here he is so far:

And a little something else I did:

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#11 » Nov 26 2009 02:55

Looking good Orpheus,

when will we see their Thunderhawk? or will it be a Carryall? (or does the 'Dune' not reffer to the Desert Planet?)

looking forward to see more.

Mauler
Shas

Post#12 » Nov 26 2009 03:37

Orpheus Hangar wrote:
stillfrosty wrote:Is there another model you could use as a base for you master of the forge? This guy doesn't really look like a master of the forge or a techmarine.... he looks like a commander with a unique backpack.

Sure thing! Just give me the money I'd need to buy the set or the bits from said set! :P

In all seriousness though, I just don't have that kind of scratch right now. Plus, this is an INCREDIBLY old variant-possibly of VERY pre-heresy design-that's more compact. It's also been worked on by the Salamanders, and he can't have all the extra stuff seeing as the CB replaces it all. Also, the Dune Stalkers are a VERY mobile force, and he prefers to not have too much excess weighing him down.

You're referring to the Conversion Beamer (man, I've not heard of those old things since Space Hulk's Genestealer expansion...do they still work the same way?) when you say pre-Heresy design? Otherwise that Mk7 Eagle suit may take a bit of work to get the old Mk3-4 Heresy look to please some people...

Otherwise though, I like your reasoning for making things as they are. Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing it finished :D

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#13 » Nov 26 2009 04:00

Mauler wrote:
Orpheus Hangar wrote:

You're referring to the Conversion Beamer (man, I've not heard of those old things since Space Hulk's Genestealer expansion...do they still work the same way?) when you say pre-Heresy design? Otherwise that Mk7 Eagle suit may take a bit of work to get the old Mk3-4 Heresy look to please some people...

Otherwise though, I like your reasoning for making things as they are. Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing it finished :D

Well, I've set him aside for a bit. I'm REALLY on a roll with my work on Queek; I think he's re-awakened my till-now dormant painting skills! Have a look at it and you'll see what I mean ;)

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”