Iron Suns (10/21: More Thallaxi!)

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Iron Suns (10/21: More Thallaxi!)

Post#1 » Mar 16 2010 09:05

UGH...I lost my post when Firefox crashed, so I'm not going to go into how I painted him until later. :( For now, I'll let these pictures speak for me:
Last edited by Orpheus Hangar on Oct 21 2014 01:12, edited 113 times in total.

Dal'yth Mont'sha
Shas'Vre

Re: Rust Rats 2.0 (New style & Color scheme)

Post#2 » Mar 16 2010 11:56

Wow! I am looking forward to hearing the about how you painted these, and what kits went into making them. Looking very nice there OH, I look forward to seeing more.

Wolfs16
Fio'El

Post#3 » Mar 17 2010 12:04

You know how much I hate Chaos, but I just had to say how great that model looks. I really love the contrast of the blue visor to the rusty armor; that really sells it. I'm sure the camera's flash drowns out the colors a bit, but still looks good!

If I'm not mistaken, the legs are taken from a Fantasy kit, right? I've seen Doghouse use those legs before and they add nice amount of height.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#4 » Mar 17 2010 12:18

Wolfs16 wrote:You know how much I hate Chaos, but I just had to say how great that model looks. I really love the contrast of the blue visor to the rusty armor; that really sells it. I'm sure the camera's flash drowns out the colors a bit, but still looks good!

If I'm not mistaken, the legs are taken from a Fantasy kit, right? I've seen Doghouse use those legs before and they add nice amount of height.

You are correct, Wolfy; those are Chaos Warrior legs. I removed the chestplate and enough of the buckle to stick on a Forgeworld torso and fill in the gap with GS. My puttying skills are still...well, I suck at using putty, so I'm going to put on a pistol/ammo pouch.

.......once I figure out where it went...

Also, thanks on the blue visor; I thought that it'd do nicely, and it makes me glad to hear that I was successful! :) Hopefully I'll have a proper stippling brush by the time I finish up my second one, so the rust will be more controlled; even with the small drybrush, I had a helluva time trying to get the Vermin brown and Fiery Orange to go where I wanted it!

Dal'yth Mont'sha wrote:Wow! I am looking forward to hearing the about how you painted these, and what kits went into making them. Looking very nice there OH, I look forward to seeing more.

Well, I'm in a better mood, so let's see if I can remember:
-Armor: White primer, Rotting Flesh basecoat, Camo Green wash, Drybrush Bleached Bone, Drybrush Skull White (2 coats), Devlan Mud wash
-Trim/Rivets/Rust: Scorched Brown basecoat, stippling/drybrushing of Vermin Brown, stippling/drybrushing of Fiery Orange, then hard-lining in Chainmail in places that would recieve a lot of movement/contact (bolter/blade edges, joints, armor plate corners, etc.)
-Boots: Scorched Brown, Bestial Brown highlight (had to do it twice because mine is VERY watered-down), soles painted black
-Bolter Lens: blood red, blazing orange, fiery orange, golden yellow, skull white, gloss varnish
-Helmet Lens: Enchanted Blue, Ice Blue, Skull White, generous wash of Asuremen Blue, Gloss Varnish
-Backpack Spikes: Dheneb Stone, Devlan Mud, tips drybrushed in Skull White, skull washed in Gryphon Sepia then drybrushed in bleached bone and then skull white.
After all that, the entire model sans the glossed parts received a Devlan Mud wash. Seriously, that stuff is like magic!

I'm glad you two liked it! Hopefully, I can make some more Skaven-y conversions this time around, try and tie them into the theme of the army a bit more-and I don't just mean gluing giant rats on the bases :P

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#5 » Mar 17 2010 01:06

Oh, forgot to photograph the next 3 in line! :P

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Rust Rats 2.0 (4/20: Abby & Defiler)

Post#6 » Apr 20 2010 09:55

Been a while, eh? Well, I've finally gotten back into the modeling swing, and the conversion bug bit me, so...bah, screw all that, let's skip to what you guys really want: PICS!

Defiler:

Mortius 2.0 (Abby counts-as):

Comments and criticism are always welcome-and encouraged! Better pics to come soon!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Rust Rats 2.0 (4/23: more Plague Marines)

Post#7 » Apr 23 2010 03:25

Alright, I have two seven-man squads ready! They are identical builds-Champ w/ power weapon, icon, flamer, meltagun. One of them is modeled to represent a squad that's closing in for close combat, while the other is one indicative of a group that prefers to stay at range and line up their shots.

Assault squad:

Shooting squad:

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Rust Rats 2.0 (7/08: Khorne Lord WIP)

Post#8 » Jul 08 2010 12:55

After a 1500 point No Special Characters tourney, I realized that a Chaos Lord with a Mark of Nurgle is, well...worthless, even in terminator armor and equipped with a Daemon Weapon. Too much bark (draws a lot of fire), not enough bite (barely killed ANYTHING). So, I decided to experiment, broaden my horizons...

Terminatorinhell
Shas

Re: Rust Rats 2.0 (7/08: Khorne Lord WIP)

Post#9 » Jul 08 2010 10:13

Yes a khorne lord with a daemon weapon can do extremely well! A flurry of attacks :)

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Rust Rats 2.0 (7/08: Khorne Lord Paint WIP)

Post#10 » Jul 15 2010 07:27

Better pics to come when the sun's out more, but here he is so far:

I totally rocked that gold trim, didn't I? ;)

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”