Iron Suns (10/21: More Thallaxi!)

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (12/16): Nazu'Mai update

Post#181 » Dec 17 2011 01:52

That seems to be the general consensus! Gonna work on magnetizing the base here in a moment, but I figured I'd do a little self-promotion: I've started my own blog so that I can start contributing to Bell of Lost Souls! Come check out Southern Fried Gaming sometime if you all feel so inclined! :biggrin:

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (1/18: Malcador WIP)

Post#182 » Jan 18 2012 04:28

One of the noted traits of the Iron Suns is their hgih number of Malcador battle tanks. Though not as powerful, they can be produced, fielded, and maintained in far higher numbers than platforms such as the Macharius and the Baneblade hulls. The narrower frames also allow the Malcadors to more easily slip into breaches, and the Iron Suns will often park them side-by-side to block key points, or simply roll as an armored wall. One their current homeworld-known as "Bastion" to the humans whom believe the Iron Suns to be Imperial Marines-Mortius oversees a facility dedicated almost solely to enhancing and producing Malcadors. Two of the unique patterns encountered on the field are a Chaos equivalent to the Executioner-pattern Leman Russ-albeit much tougher, and able to overcharge it's executioner cannon for a massive blast (in one recorded incident, said cannon suffered a failure and the entire turret "tower" exploded. THe marine crew mostly survived though, and pushed the tank to it's limits until a Vendetta put the crippled machine out of it's misery) and a version that is akin to a Land Raider Redeemer and the Malcador Infernus, opting for three seperate Inferno cannons and a hull-mounted multi-melta as opposed to a single Infernus cannon. Rumors have also surfaced of a Defender which has had it's Heavy Bolters replaced with autocannons, another with no turret weapon but a small capacity for Havocs, a "dual demolisher", an Earthshaker-equipped platform, and a Butcher cannon-turreted variant. Even with this myriad of tank designs which can (and often do) take Imperial defenders by surprise, the "classic" trio of Malcador variants still flourishes in the ranks of the Iron Suns for it's proven durability and reliability.

Base hull, no sponsons, turret, or hull weapon (all of which have been magnetized):

Currently magnetized weapon options:

Plasma variant (Needs a name! Any suggestions?):

Infenro variant (Also in need of a title):

Battle Cannon:

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (1/18-2: Malcador Airbrushed)

Post#183 » Jan 18 2012 07:17

Finally starting to get the hang of my airbrush; LOVING how the Malcador's coming along!

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Re: Iron Suns (1/18: Malcador WIP)

Post#184 » Jan 18 2012 08:35

Outstanding work as always Orpheus, I can't wait to see these puppies fully painted!

Regarding names, perhaps you could use a system of a type designation (i.e. Type XY), followed by an Imperial reporting name (to keep with the Imperial Japan theme you're going for)? For reporting names I went with the names of Demons, to come up with;

-Type-62 'Azazel'

-Type-75 'Mammon'

-Type-81 'Belial'

-Type-39 'Beelzebub'

-Type-46 'Leviathan'

-Type-53 'Behemoth'

Pick and choose which ones you think would work (if any), or use the system to invent your own!
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (1/19: Malcador paint progress)

Post#185 » Jan 19 2012 03:25

After working most of the evening and a ways into the morning, here's where the Malcador and it's Plasma-variant armaments currently stand. I'de decided I'm going to stop doing all my rivets in copper/brass, because otherwise the trim looks flat and lazy. I'm planning on doing the treads in black, dryrbush of dark grey, and then again in gunmetal, and when the painting itself is done, I'm going to add snow to it after seeing the results I pulled off on my friend's Space Wolves Contemptor, so there will be some snow accumulation on the hull and the backs of the tracks, but not on the angine nor the weapons (they're plasma weapons and a lascannon after all!); what do you guys think of that idea?

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (1/20: Malcador paint progress 2)

Post#186 » Jan 20 2012 05:14

Okay, so I finished the trim up a bit more and painted all the rivets on the hull silver (THAT was excrutiating!), then I slapped some sealer on it and loaded up my airbrush with some Devlan Mud (with a drop ro two of alcohol added, but MOSTLY wash) and covered the whole model until it started to really pool. I let it sit for a while, then loaded the airbrush with rubbing alcohol and justed hosed it down, and once that was dry I took some cotton swabs dipped in rubbing alcohol and went all over the model, removing most of the wash from unwanted areas. I've also begun basecoating the treads in black, going to give them a good drybrush of dark grey, followed by a random drybrush of gunmetal (as well as painting the "rivets" for the links gunmetal) before giving them a wash in Devland Mud and then Badab Black. Once that's all said and done, I'll start adding details, slap on some snow, and add green glow to the viewports.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (3/25: Operation FTFA Part 1!)

Post#187 » Mar 25 2012 03:07

Wow, sure has been a while since I've posted anything here...or worked on anything important to my Army List! :eek: So, with the almost-certain releases of Tau and/or Chaos around the corner, I've decided to pick my most intact army (Chaos) and enact Operation "Finish That Fething Army"! In all honestly...I've been playing 40k sing right before 5th Edition came out, and the closest thing I ever had to a finished army was my original Purple & Brown Tau army. Well, I'm going to do everything in my power to finish the Iron Suns BEFORE the codex comes out! Though, that may take longer than I'd like now that Warsmith Miniatures put up their "Space Crusader" (AKA True-scale) conversion sets on Pre-order...I'd like to gear up my entire army with those, but that'll take a while concerning the costs! So, for now, I'll settle on the weedy default legs and Chaos Warrior ones when I can afford them.

The first step in Operations FTFA was to finally complete my only incomplete troops choice and my only 25mm-based Heavy Support choices-which, respectively, are a squad of Chaos marines w/ champion, icon, plasmagun, lascannon and a squad of havocs w/ champ, icon, and 4 missile launchers. (Please note that the fellow in grey primer in the Havoc squad photo is a placeholder; the Icon bearer has really bad whit eprimer fuzz and is taking a bath in purple power.)

As you can see, the Chaos Marine squad is far more aggressively posed, the front line ready to take on and repel enemy advances (As they have in the past, and certainly will again in the future!) so that the icon bearer can guide in Obliterator support, the lascannon-wielder providing cover fire against vehicles, large creatures, or any poor sap stupid enough to leave himself exposed.

On the other hand, the Havoc team is more stoicly-posed, firmly-footed warriors ready to crack enemy armor or rain shrapnel upon exposed infantry while their bolter-wielding allies provide cover fire, a small team operating an remote-controlled missile system, allowing them to take cover from any retribution the enemy wishes to try dealing upon them, their Champion brandishing his chainaxe proudly. (If you haven't noticed, Chainaxes are sort of becoming a theme for my champions as status symbols.)

And-...wait a minute, what could THIS be?

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (3/27: Playing with stripes)

Post#188 » Mar 27 2012 02:33

Nothing ground-breaking or award-winning, but pretty damned good for a first try if ya ask me!

May mess with them a little more later, but I won't fuss with them too much or I'll lose interest in painting again! :P Tin Bitz trim coming up, possibly gold as well. Should the rivets be the copper/brass color or silver from now on? I think it may look silly if I alternate between them.

Wolfs16
Fio'El

Post#189 » Mar 27 2012 07:50

Looking good! I have had a hard time getting a straight line when I try to paint a stripe on my Marine shoulder pads. Any tips?

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#190 » Mar 27 2012 07:55

Wolfs16 wrote:Looking good! I have had a hard time getting a straight line when I try to paint a stripe on my Marine shoulder pads. Any tips?

Foundation paints and a clean brush. :P but yes, I did the pads in Iyanden Darksun, then the chaos black stripes, then again with Iyanden and Chaos black again to tidy it up. if oyu want them to look straight like...directly looking at them, the lines can curve a bit to fit the shoulderpad's curve better. And someone on papanurgle said to stick with the brass/copper trim, said that the gold might be "eh" since there's already yellow. Should the rivets be brass/copper or silver?

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”