Iron Suns (10/21: More Thallaxi!)

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Re: Iron Suns (3/27: Playing with stripes)

Post#191 » Mar 29 2012 09:06

I think making the rivets another color other than silver would make them look a little weird, since they would pop out a lot more than they need to.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (3/27: Playing with stripes)

Post#192 » Mar 29 2012 10:34

Wolfs16 wrote:I think making the rivets another color other than silver would make them look a little weird, since they would pop out a lot more than they need to.

Well, now we can see for sure! If they look "meh", I can just go over 'em again in Boltgun or chainmail, depending on where they are.

Here's the Misisle Launcher guy, the one closest to being completed! More basing work and OSL will be done soon no that I found my drybrush (and better pics will come afterwards!).

And when I saw the image of the Stormeagle, I realized something: my conversion I was making was only one gun off! So I swapped the autocannons for multimeltas, and forced myself to finish the lascannons (pending liquid GS work):

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (9/1: Tora! Tora! Tora!)

Post#193 » Sep 01 2012 01:05

"What in the hell's going on, Lieutenant; where's the damned Field Commander?!"

"I don't know, m'lord; all communication's down, we've been hit hard!"

The commissar clenched his teeth, gritting them in frustration. "Orks. HAS to be the damned Orks..." He grumbles under his breath before turning his grizzled stare tot he Lieutenant once more. "If communications are down, then for your sake you had best get them back up!"

"Sir! By your orders!" The Lieutenant salutes with an impossibly straight pose, grabbing his lasgun and helmet as he made a dash outside to see the damage. What he saw though wasn't the work of Orks; it was far too thorough and precise, no vast swathes of craters where the other volleys would've hit. Those engines...those roaring engines...it couldn't be the Eldar. No, there was only someone else it could be-and it was the worst of the evils. The Lieutenant's suspicions were confirmed when he heard another set of four engines coming from the West, and what he saw was something even the greatest Imperial aces would've shuddered at the thought of doing: a Marauder Destroyer, rushing ahead at full throttle, not even six feet off of the ground! "INCOMING!" He barely had time to shout, the deafening sound of autocannons and turbofan engines drowning out all other sound. At the last moment the Marauder noses up hard, seeming to be in slow motion as the Lieutenant saw the open bomb bays. However, the sight of the falling bombs and the whirring of Assault Cannons were the last he heard, the aforementioned guns cutting him down, inadvertently saving him from the carnage of the bombing run. The Marauder was not alone, the droning echo of dozens of the massive engines coming from the West...

Not the best, but a little story for those whom enjoy that kinda thing. After a long drought of inspiration and motivation, the pictures of the Dark Vengeance models came out, and once again the Chaos bug decided to take a good chomp out of me! Making Power Axes and Combi-plamsaguns is all well and good, but I decided it was high-time to get my Marauder Destroyer up to snuff! Now that I have Imperial Armour Aeronautica on my laptop, I need to start re-working the cost of my up-gunned variant here...

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (9/2: Possessed/Daemon conversions)

Post#194 » Sep 02 2012 06:54

Final Transmission from Captain Shinji Hirako of the Frigate "Tatsuta" wrote:"Nowhere is safe...they've overrun our position, smashed or circumvented every defensive measure we've put into place, somehow survived all other contingency plans and quarantines...they will -not- survive this one. Tell Shiron his *BAD WORD DELETED* experiment was a success; if he wants these...-things- back, he can pick up what parts are left after I crash this frigate into the side of his planet. Glory to Krieg and the Emperor!"

'nother bit of fluff from Shiron's early attempts at creating a zombie-like retrovirus using plans found on an ancient xeno artifact. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a huge fan of Dead Space, and after learning of Dead Space 3 coming out in February and playing 2 again recently, I've decided to try making some new Necromorph conversions! Thanks to my buddy Cody, I have a box of Hormagaunts to pull bits from, so I grabbed a couple of my old attempts and tweaked them a bit:

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (9/13: Helbrute WIP & Warp-twisted mail?!)

Post#195 » Sep 13 2012 01:19

Well, my order for Dark Vengeance (FINALLY) arrived yesterday, and I nearly tore the box open in excitement; however, the Warp seems to have had it's way with my order! When I opened the box, the sprue with all the unique DA sculpts was missing; in it's place, though, was a second sprue of the unique Chaos sculpts! Nearly twice the Chosen, another Kranon, extras of the Cultist leaders, and another complete Helbrute (minus the base)! A quick call to GW about the missing sprue (I forgot to mention the extra one now that I think about it... :roll: ) and it's headed my way; if anyone is interested in the Dark Angels half, shoot me a PM and we can work something out. I play Iron Warriors after all; I have no use for Emo Marines! :P

Anyways, I assembled the first Helbrute (saving the other for when I get conversion ideas), and I gotta say that the guys who did the Chaos sculpts and how they're cut up are -geniuses-. Finally, a starter set mini that wasn't an insult to my intelligence or skills! If it isn't clear by now, these guys are fun to put together, and go together beautifully-still got mold lines to deal with (though many are hidden by the way the parts are casted) and some liquid green stuff love might be needed here and there, but overall I am -very- impressed! I based and primed the Helbrute as soon as I deemed the liquid GS work "good enough", then loaded some of the new metallic paints (Leadbelcher and ironbreaker) into my airbrush, having the silver coats down in record time. The new paints are MUCH more airbrush-friendly, so I may actually get around to painting that Marauder Destroyer sometime!

Anyways, enough rambling; here's the pretty pictures!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (9/14: Helbrute update)

Post#196 » Sep 14 2012 02:58

Too tired to think, so I'll let the pictures do the talking. :)

TheAmbit
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#197 » Sep 14 2012 09:03

Your hazard stripes look great. I do think the horns and toe nails would benefit from being a different colour though.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#198 » Sep 14 2012 03:47

TheAmbit wrote:Your hazard stripes look great. I do think the horns and toe nails would benefit from being a different colour though.

Well, every horn that broke through skin or metal is going to be painted bone, and -possibly- bloodied. What would you recommend for the toenails?

Also, I already received the replacement for my missing sprue; if anyone's still up for the trade or whatever, it's all still available! ;)

TheAmbit
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#199 » Sep 14 2012 07:04

I think the bone colour would be cool even on the spines on the front which appear to be extruding through the armour too. I wouldn't go too overboard on the blood. Less is more and what you have now looks good. I even think the spine is a bit overdone. The gore looks better focused on the fist in my opinion. If the whole thing looks like it was dipped in a carcass it just won't look that cool on the table from 3 feet away.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#200 » Sep 15 2012 05:45

TheAmbit wrote:I think the bone colour would be cool even on the spines on the front which appear to be extruding through the armour too. I wouldn't go too overboard on the blood. Less is more and what you have now looks good. I even think the spine is a bit overdone. The gore looks better focused on the fist in my opinion. If the whole thing looks like it was dipped in a carcass it just won't look that cool on the table from 3 feet away.

Right, I think I'll give the spine a drybrush or highlight on the parts that stick the furthest out of the blood; trying to make it look like it just ripped open/erupted. And that's my plan for the horns! :) My only issue I've found is that my latest washes have sort of 'uncovered' a few issues (rings from the purple wash, a couple of small (but hidden) spots I missed), so I'll need to figure out how to sort out those issues. I think a quick dab with rubbing alcohol to bust it up a bit will do the trick...

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (9/17: Helbrute at 99%!)

Post#201 » Sep 17 2012 02:12

Right! So all that's missing is a bit more blood under the fingers and for me to find my Scorpion Green to finish the glowing eyes in the armor and it's done! I also plan on trying to make some 'strings' of glue to make the blood drip/pour off of his back and onto the puddle on the ground. Overall I'm really happy with how this fella's coming out, haven't been motivated to paint like this in a while!

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Iron Suns (9/17: Helbrute at 99%!)

Post#202 » Sep 17 2012 12:01

looks delicious :P

The oozing blood looks fantastic, well done.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (9/20: DV Powerfist Chosen)

Post#203 » Sep 20 2012 01:27

Right, so I stopped being lazy for an evening and decided to paint another Dark Vengeance mini! Using what I'd learned of my new paints and such on the Helbrute, I decided to paint my favorite model in the set, the Powerfist-wielding Chosen. And all I have to say is....well, there are no words; I think this is my best mini to date!

Also found my Scorpion Green, so did a touch-up on the Helbrute!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (9/20: Touch-ups and better pictures)

Post#204 » Sep 20 2012 03:34

Right, did some touching-up on the Chosen, and decided to take some pictures of him and the Helbrute in the sunlight!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#205 » Sep 21 2012 12:34

Great Aun's nasal ridge, that's gross and disgusting. I like it!

What are you using for the blood effects? I skimmed your thread and found this fairly obvious question unanswered :)

- Tael.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#206 » Sep 21 2012 12:54

Tael wrote:Great Aun's nasal ridge, that's gross and disgusting. I like it!

What are you using for the blood effects? I skimmed your thread and found this fairly obvious question unanswered :)

- Tael.

I'm glad you like them! :D It's a lovely little product, Tamiya X-27 Clear Red; I haven't tried it yet, but someone on Papanurgle said that mixing a little black (he didn't say if paint or wash/ink) with it makes good dried blood. My fellows are an Iron Warriors warband, though, so you won't see much of that; they take care of their gear, after all!

As for the skin, it was a semi-experiment. Dheneb Stone, Ogryn Flesh wash, drybrush with Dheneb Stone (could stop here, probably should have!), watered-down Leviathan Purple (focused heavily on where flesh met metal for a bruised look), then another Dheneb Stone drybrushing. The use of Dheneb Stone and the Leviathan Purple step help make the flesh look nice, pallid, and somewhat sickly. :)

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (10/14: Mortius (Typhus) WIP)

Post#207 » Oct 14 2012 08:14

Right! With the new Chaos Codex, I've decided to give Abaddon the boot and replace him with Typhus in order to make my Plague Marines troops (and because Typhus is wicked-awesome in 6th edition!). With that said, Mortius has received a make-over...

And with my WIP Plague Zombie models (excuse the quality, flash washed it out)...

I'm undecided about the head; should I lose the horn and use a normal terminator helmet? Maybe try to find a Chaos Terminator helmet? Use the original?

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (10/16: Mortius (Typhus) WIP)

Post#208 » Oct 16 2012 01:15

Right, so I wasn't really feeling that head. I went to dig through my bits box, and ended up finding the head from the actual Typhus! Looks much better now, I think.

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”