Iron Suns (10/21: More Thallaxi!)

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (9/17: Helbrute at 99%!)

Post#201 » Sep 17 2012 02:12

Right! So all that's missing is a bit more blood under the fingers and for me to find my Scorpion Green to finish the glowing eyes in the armor and it's done! I also plan on trying to make some 'strings' of glue to make the blood drip/pour off of his back and onto the puddle on the ground. Overall I'm really happy with how this fella's coming out, haven't been motivated to paint like this in a while!

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Iron Suns (9/17: Helbrute at 99%!)

Post#202 » Sep 17 2012 12:01

looks delicious :P

The oozing blood looks fantastic, well done.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (9/20: DV Powerfist Chosen)

Post#203 » Sep 20 2012 01:27

Right, so I stopped being lazy for an evening and decided to paint another Dark Vengeance mini! Using what I'd learned of my new paints and such on the Helbrute, I decided to paint my favorite model in the set, the Powerfist-wielding Chosen. And all I have to say is....well, there are no words; I think this is my best mini to date!

Also found my Scorpion Green, so did a touch-up on the Helbrute!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (9/20: Touch-ups and better pictures)

Post#204 » Sep 20 2012 03:34

Right, did some touching-up on the Chosen, and decided to take some pictures of him and the Helbrute in the sunlight!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#205 » Sep 21 2012 12:34

Great Aun's nasal ridge, that's gross and disgusting. I like it!

What are you using for the blood effects? I skimmed your thread and found this fairly obvious question unanswered :)

- Tael.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#206 » Sep 21 2012 12:54

Tael wrote:Great Aun's nasal ridge, that's gross and disgusting. I like it!

What are you using for the blood effects? I skimmed your thread and found this fairly obvious question unanswered :)

- Tael.

I'm glad you like them! :D It's a lovely little product, Tamiya X-27 Clear Red; I haven't tried it yet, but someone on Papanurgle said that mixing a little black (he didn't say if paint or wash/ink) with it makes good dried blood. My fellows are an Iron Warriors warband, though, so you won't see much of that; they take care of their gear, after all!

As for the skin, it was a semi-experiment. Dheneb Stone, Ogryn Flesh wash, drybrush with Dheneb Stone (could stop here, probably should have!), watered-down Leviathan Purple (focused heavily on where flesh met metal for a bruised look), then another Dheneb Stone drybrushing. The use of Dheneb Stone and the Leviathan Purple step help make the flesh look nice, pallid, and somewhat sickly. :)

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (10/14: Mortius (Typhus) WIP)

Post#207 » Oct 14 2012 08:14

Right! With the new Chaos Codex, I've decided to give Abaddon the boot and replace him with Typhus in order to make my Plague Marines troops (and because Typhus is wicked-awesome in 6th edition!). With that said, Mortius has received a make-over...

And with my WIP Plague Zombie models (excuse the quality, flash washed it out)...

I'm undecided about the head; should I lose the horn and use a normal terminator helmet? Maybe try to find a Chaos Terminator helmet? Use the original?

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (10/16: Mortius (Typhus) WIP)

Post#208 » Oct 16 2012 01:15

Right, so I wasn't really feeling that head. I went to dig through my bits box, and ended up finding the head from the actual Typhus! Looks much better now, I think.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (10/22: Spawn WIP)

Post#209 » Oct 22 2012 01:08

So I'm going to remove Mark of Nurgle from my cultist unit because, well...I always forget I have it! XD if I drop a single zombie as well, I can squeeze in a spawn in my 2500 list, so I decided I'd take a crack at making something suitable. I got this model from my friend (unsure what kit it's from), and I should have more of them from him on the way-though I hope to use IoB Rat Ogres when I can get my hands on the models...

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#210 » Oct 23 2012 01:38

Papanurgle is generous with his gifts :D

Great conversion work - I would not have thought of nid bits not to mention vehicle bits on the nice doggie.

And the Helbrute :eek:

J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#211 » Oct 23 2012 05:11

*cultists get zombie upgrade for free(which basically makes them cheap plague marine meat shields)

I just noticed this thread and love it, as I just recently picked up the C:CSM the other day and am building up a 2500 point list! I'm lucky that I have a fair bit of C:SM stuff that can be easily converted.

I went with Typhus also, and am going to try my hand with two or three units of bikers with papa nurgles blessings!
Enclave of the 7 Swords: 12-5-2

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (12/13): Warpsmith

Post#212 » Dec 14 2012 01:04

So, after coming in second place in a Warhammer 40k tournament, I put my prize money towards and order that included a new Warpsmith model! I did some minor conversion work and a head-swap, and all that's left to be done is painting! Without further ado, here's Warpsmith Shiron, "The Genesmith":

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (12/14): Warpsmith Complete

Post#213 » Dec 14 2012 04:17

I based Shiron, though, and totally forgot to paint the lip of the base the right color. :hohoho: Oh well, screw it; here he is!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (12/25): Mortius update

Post#214 » Dec 25 2012 03:33

So in the latest tournament, I dropped Mortius and one of the gaunt arms broke off and disappeared. Last night I finally decided to replace it, and I also came across some nice Tyranid bits I got from my friend a while back...

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (12/31): Mortius PIP

Post#215 » Dec 31 2012 01:08

Well, I finally got off (well, on XD) my bum and did some sculpting on Mortius, adding growth to fill in the gaps between his arms and torso while also bulking out his upper arm armor and filling in a lot of the cracks and such in the pauldrons and the top of his armor. And, after all this time, he's finally starting to see some color!

In addition, I also cracked out the Tyranid bits again and started to spruce up my Spawn counts-as! I've got two more headed my way, so soon I should be able to squeeze some Spawn into my army. :)

Overwatch!

And a pic of that Broadside:

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (1/25: Final Obliterator WIP)

Post#216 » Jan 25 2013 03:50

Not a big update, but an update nonetheless! I found this interesting fella on Ebay, and as cool as the helmetless head they included was, I wanted to save it for a model where the small details on it could properly show. I was looking through the heads I had, and a Hell Blade pilot's head fit rather nicely, I think...

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/45665 ... ators.html

I have yet to do a side-by-side comparison with my other Oblits, but I know already he's gonna be a bit smaller than them. HOW much smaller he is will determine if he gets any further conversion work; any suggestions?

Arc'Aroth
Gue

Re: Iron Suns (1/25: Final Obliterator WIP)

Post#217 » Jan 25 2013 01:33

ooo, pretty. How do you integrate the plastic parts so seamlessly? I was looking for where the different bits hook up and... well.. I couldn't find them. I could find tyranid bits on that spawn counts as, and scaven bits... but couldn't tell where one stopped and the other began.

As for the obliterator, needs more dakka. One of the big things that separates obliterators from fleshy terminators is all the guns. I only see one plasma cannon on the obliterator you show there, and when I think of oblits they have like 80 guns sticking out of their arms or chest or, hell, even their face. I think a couple more wouldn't hurt. I notice that there are some tubes coming out of its back that just kind of... end... maybe you could mount a fire breathing demonic heavy flamer counts as. It would add some size if you need it (so opposition doesn't complain about models being too small). Though I'm not sure how it would look...

Maybe some sorta guns growing out of it? oblits literally grow the guns on their bodies so... I don't know, I'm not a chaos player XD hope some of suggestions help. and even if they don't, I love the look of your models.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (4/15: Mutilators WIP)

Post#218 » Apr 15 2013 05:34

So the Tau codex came out a bit too late for me to use them in a campaign that started at my LGS, so I'm working with my Chaos Marines for said campaign. After a highly unsuccessful first couple of sessions, we finally made a major breakthrough, and my best friend pointed out that Mutilators are actually something to look at investing in. Being the conversion-happy person I am, having some spare resin obliterator bodies I found on ebay, and having some of the new parts from the Forsaken set to play with, I decided to take a crack at my own to run alongsde Mortius, my Typhus counts-as:

Opinions? Suggestions?

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”