Iron Suns (10/21: More Thallaxi!)

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Samir_Duran
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (10/22): True-scale Warsmith assembly complete

Post#163 » Oct 22 2011 11:34

Oh! Yay for another guy using the Space Marine Collossus idea ^_^ (Terminator Legs, and/or arms and SM torso)

I really love your conversion, it shows too bad he lost his horns...

Can I ask you about the parts used for his servo-pack?
"Incompetence breeds even more incompetence."

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (11/3): Contemptor "Tojo" WIP

Post#164 » Nov 03 2011 05:33

After roughly a month in the mail, the parts for the beginning of my Contemptor Dreadnought have arrived! The project is still in it's infancy, but if the bits/ideas keep coming, this fella should be finished and fully painted before too long! The Warsmith Contemptor will be delayed as a future project; I want to save that for when I've had more experience working with these things! Given the status that Contemptors hold amongst Loyalists and Renegades alike, he has been gifted with the name "Tojo" - and yes, that is a direct reference to WW2 Japan (The actual Warsmith will be named "Hirohito"!). :) I need to remove and rotate the body more, and possibly replace the back foot with a standing-flat foot. I may also attempt to extend the thighs a little. Right now I'm looking at arming him with a Butcher Cannon (twice the shots and one higher strength of an Autocannon), DCCW w/ Plasma Blaster (Maybe Heavy Flamer instead), and possibly a Havoc Launcher as well as Mark fo Nurgle (-1 to all damage rolls-VERY Iron Warriors-ish!).

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (11/4): Contemptor Dreadnought "Tojo" GS WIP

Post#165 » Nov 04 2011 03:44

Started adding bits last night, and since the left shoulder was TERRIBLY miscasted, I decided to build the Havoc Launcher into the shoulder. Not totally happy wiht it yet, but gonna do some GS work on it first before I make any decisions. Could definitely use some suggestions there! I've also begun bulking out the "collar", which will get some cool detailing if my sister will help me. Also, should I cut the exhaust stacks shorter? And does anyone else have the base of the Defiler's "flail" arm? I've turned my room inside-out and can't find the other half, and I need it to make the Butcher Cannon conversion I have in mind. :( Suggestions for an ammo hopper would be nice, too!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (11/4.5): "Tojo" GS, Trim, pose WIP

Post#166 » Nov 04 2011 09:50

Been doing more work on Tojo here, used plenty of liquid GS to smooth out the "collar". Once it was try I began hacking away at my old "For Sale" sign for one of my current best attempts at plasticard use so far. I also decided on a running pose, as the "standing victorious" pose just wasn't working; I also formed a big wad of blu-tack to show what he'll look like with his hammer.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (11/8)

Post#167 » Nov 07 2011 09:18

Just a paint-in-progress update. I'll add more when there's more to say! :P

EDIT:

Decided that, on my larger models, I'm gonna do an extra drybrush/highlight. I think that small decision made a big difference...

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (11/9): Rust Rats return!

Post#168 » Nov 09 2011 07:18

Annoyed by my lack of primer and low funds (Ace Combat Assault Horizon came out this month... ;) ), I started messing around with some bits...

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Re: Iron Suns (11/9): Rust Rats return!

Post#169 » Nov 09 2011 10:02

I gotta say, that Contemptor looks great! I like the pose and the weapons look really fierce. The changes you've made to remove Imperial insignia and to include Chaos styles, works really well.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (11/13): Butcher Cannon WIP

Post#170 » Nov 13 2011 01:26

I tried to get my Contemptor into a game earlier in the evening, but due to time constraints (and the high point cost of what I had originally planned) I didn't have time to do a lot of mathhammering. After I got hom and had dinner, though, I started re-workign my list to allow me to use both Hell Blades and my Contemptor-though with modified gear. I decided that a Havoc Launcher was just too much, so I ripped it out of the shoulder and slimmed it down. After my third unsuccessful search for the other half of that Defiler flail arm that I wanted to make into a Butcher Cannon (might make a good Soul Burner though!), I started tinkering with other interesting bits I found-which included part of my other dreadnought's former hip, a pair of sentinel autocannons still on the sprue, the Heavy Bolters I took off my Marauder Destroyer, and a fan from a Drop Pod. After a little cutting, pinning, and gluing, I came up with this...

Now THAT is looking like a proper Contemptor arm! As for the slightly more "blocky" look, I can simply say that it's a new arm, that the old one was destroyed and that the Warsmith in charge at the time decided to build him a new one. I may add some curved armor panels to it and possibly might move the ammo drums up a bit more, but otherwise I think the assembly's done. GOnna try to add some trim to the shoulder, so the GS work, then get it painted!

As for the build I'm going to run with him...

-Butcher Cannon (Two autocannons with one more point of strength and a foot shorter range)
-Heavy Flamer
-Extra Armor
-Heavy Flamer (Replacing the TL bolter in the DCCW, may build it into the hammer)

All of that added up quickly, clocking in at a hefty 265 points! Hopefully the resiliency and the raw firepower it can put out will justify the cost! :P I hope to try it against my buddy's Nids soon!

Didi et Gogo
Kor'Vre
Kor'Vre

Re: Iron Suns (11/13): Butcher Cannon WIP

Post#171 » Nov 13 2011 07:07

It looks great. I do think that you should move the ammunition drums forward—visual balance notwithstanding. Unless the gun has a very complicated action cycle, the ejection ports on the bolters should be in line with the drum.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (11/13.5): Butcher Cannon PIP

Post#172 » Nov 13 2011 01:20

Something like this? :P I hope so, because I'm looking at having it done tonight!

UPDATE: Nearly done! Just need to wait for the wash to dry, do the drybrushing, the glow from the lens, paint the trophy helmet yellow, then glue it on! :D

UPDATE 2: Done and attached!

Didi et Gogo
Kor'Vre
Kor'Vre

Re: Iron Suns (11/13): Butcher Cannon complete

Post#173 » Nov 14 2011 04:49

Now that looks pretty slick. Good work Orpheus!

XENO GOD
Shas

Post#174 » Nov 14 2011 11:01

That's one sexy cannon. That glow effect is fantastic.
The worst things are done with the best intentions.

Terminatorinhell
Shas

Post#175 » Nov 18 2011 01:56

Oh yes, I really like that cannon!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (11/30: For-sale Defiler WIP)

Post#176 » Nov 30 2011 02:05

The Defiler is now spoken for!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (12/15): Nazu'Mai rises!

Post#177 » Dec 15 2011 02:43

I've got a little fluff I'm brainstorming for this big fella, but all I know for certain is that for now he'll be fielded as a Daemon Prince, but he will soon be magnetized to swap between the 60mm base and a Trygon-sized base. The reason being, well...

HUGE MODEL IS HUGE!

I've wanted this fella since I first saw the concept art, and after a long day of patching holes in walls before painting said walls, I finally arrived home to give my long-awaited beastie a good scrubbing and get him ready for a fight! And I can tell he's gonne be fun to paint (once I stop being tired/lazy and do the rest of the cleaning up/putty works...):

Chunk of Warpstone for an eye. BEYOND COOL. I was originally planning on sculpting/scratch-building some armor, but I don't think he needs it now that I see him in-person. If anyone has any good bitz suggestions though, and any weapons as big as/cooler than the Direglaive, hit me with your best shot(s)! For now though, enjoy some more snapshots:

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Re: Iron Suns (12/15): Nazu'Mai rises!

Post#178 » Dec 15 2011 05:24

Wow, I never thought that model was THAT BIG.

I can't really give you any ideas for altering that model, thins I think the weapon is just perfect, but I am looking forward to see it painted.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (12/16): Nazu'Mai update

Post#179 » Dec 16 2011 02:17

I placed an order for a bunch of the small curved armor plates from the Librarian Dreadnought to play was as overlapping armor (like on Shogun's forearm, go back to my Nurgle DP to see what I mean!), but the the meantime, here's an update!

Also, he's big, but do you guys think he's big -enough- to play an actual Greater Daemon? Possibly even one of the Apocalypse ones if I magnetize him to fit on a Trygon-sized base?

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Re: Iron Suns (12/16): Nazu'Mai update

Post#180 » Dec 16 2011 09:15

Compared to your hand I'd say he's large enough. I'm loving the greenstuff details and such. Excellent project. What are you thinking for color schemes? Nice reds and browns might be nice

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”