Iron Suns (10/21: More Thallaxi!)

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Peregrine
Kor

Re: Iron Suns (9/12): Marauder Destroyer "Hakai" inbound!

Post#145 » Sep 12 2011 09:02

I'm not a fan of the wing-mounted guns, they look a bit weird, and that far from the centerline you'd have a lot of trouble hitting anything with a fixed-mount gun. However, if you're willing to do some conversion, perhaps replace the bomb bay with extra autocannons (like the fighter variants of the Mosquito, which added four 20mm cannons!). I've thought about doing that conversion myself, but I'm just not sure how to make it look good.

Also, could you post a picture of the bottom of the model? Specifically, I'd like to see where exactly the base is mounted. I'm going to start building one myself soon, and I'd like to know where the balance point is so I can drill the mounting holes before it's completely assembled.

I swear these models and the scaling of them is ridiculous. You'd think the guys making them would keep in mind the finite table space...

As a superheavy flyer, it's usually going to be used in Apocalypse games on a much larger table. I just have a hard time imagining a table where you can fit a Valkyrie (note the same base size), but not a Marauder. And TBH, since all of the weapons have such long range, it's not like you need to be very careful about where exactly you put it.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (9/12): Marauder Destroyer "Hakai" inbound!

Post#146 » Sep 12 2011 09:07

the bomb bay's already glued shut; it came assembled already. I'll try to take some photos of the belly for ya soon, though-I had to glue in the flight stand because the two rear landing gear were damaged, too, and I can't trust them to support it's weight... :sad:

The tail-mounted TL Assault Cannon cowling and support strut was damaged, so I need to make a new cowling for them or replace them with totally different weapons. Opinions on that and the possibility of replacing the Heavy Bolters with AA Lascannons or Autocannons?

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (9/15): "Hakai" arming in progress...

Post#147 » Sep 15 2011 04:21

As good as your idea is, Peregrine, the glued-shut doors and the way the bomb bay is placed (so close to the stand and so low relative to the landing gear) would make that problematic. Here's the requested belly shot:

Luckily, it had a pre-cut slot for the flying base, so I simply glued it in at the angle that supported the weight the best. I plan to yank it out soon and try to find a good "peg to put in there so I can take it off the base, though I'm likely going to remove the landing gear struts and then have said gear retracted due to the damage done in-transit.

Peregrine was right about the wingtip-mounted lascannons (though Tapeworm's idea of wingtip-mounte dplasma cannons might make it in! XD), so I started thinking of what to do with them. Then I had a look at the Marauder's little brother-the Thunderbolt (another model I really like!)-and came up with this:

Aside from a few misaligned spots I need to file/GS and thw wicked bend in the starboard wing, it's nearly ready for primer! As for the tail-mounted weapon, Tapeworm suggested multi-meltas-and I had considered them, so that or a pair of plasma cannons may make it as the new tail-mounted guns...

Peregrine
Kor

Post#148 » Sep 15 2011 05:16

Oh god, that poor Marauder. I hope you got a good discount on it, because the previous owner did a terrible job of cleaning it up and assembling it. TBH, you'd probably be better off pulling the whole thing apart and tossing it in the paint stripper.

Orpheus Hangar wrote:As good as your idea is, Peregrine, the glued-shut doors and the way the bomb bay is placed (so close to the stand and so low relative to the landing gear) would make that problematic. Here's the requested belly shot:

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. Does it balance well on that point, or is it nose/tail heavy?

As for the extra guns, here's the idea I had in mind (proportions exaggerated a bit for clarity):

You build a gun pod around the ACs on top of the old bomb bay, covering up the doors completely. You'd have to do some scratchbuilding to make it fit into the design properly (the reason I'm not doing it on mine), but I think it would look awesome if the goal is a "MOAR GUNS!!!" Marauder.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#149 » Sep 15 2011 06:38

Peregrine wrote:Oh god, that poor Marauder. I hope you got a good discount on it, because the previous owner did a terrible job of cleaning it up and assembling it. TBH, you'd probably be better off pulling the whole thing apart and tossing it in the paint stripper.

Tell me about it. The starboard wing's got some warping on the back edge I'm gonna need to take a hair dryer to, he did NOT clean the inner edges of the wings well, there's a bit of mis-alignment...I suppose that this is what I get for $100 off retail. I'm out of paint stripper (and don't see any need foor it right now really) and I'm scared that parts my snap/shear off if I try to disassemble it. At least if feels clean to the touch, though; gonna take a hair dryer to the starboard side adn try to "lift" the wing and engines, hide plasticard spacers in the small gap between the engines and fuselag it'll make. Won't bother GSing it because A: it won't be very noticeable and B: my GS tool has gone missing! :::(

Orpheus Hangar wrote:As good as your idea is, Peregrine, the glued-shut doors and the way the bomb bay is placed (so close to the stand and so low relative to the landing gear) would make that problematic. Here's the requested belly shot:

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. Does it balance well on that point, or is it nose/tail heavy?

Surprisingly enough, it's actually quite stable. As you can imagine the model is very nose-heavy, especially with the weight of the wings and engines pulling down there; however, the tail his long and heavy enough to counter-balance it, and I had NO issues whatsoever in that department.

As for the extra guns, here's the idea I had in mind (proportions exaggerated a bit for clarity):

You build a gun pod around the ACs on top of the old bomb bay, covering up the doors completely. You'd have to do some scratchbuilding to make it fit into the design properly (the reason I'm not doing it on mine), but I think it would look awesome if the goal is a "MOAR GUNS!!!" Marauder.

Definitely a cool (and very good!) idea, but if I go any further I'm gonna break out of the 600 points I set for this monster's cost (70 points more than a Marauder Destroyer w/ 8 hellstrikes, armored cockpit, and flare/chaff launchers (Using the prices from the only other flyer I could find. I emailed Forgeworld and they admitted they messed up the Marauder Destroyer entry something fierce, even forgetting to list the structure points! :eek: ))

Currently, my variant here has all the goodies of a Marauder Destroyer but with the following changes (All for 600 points total, as I said before):
-BS4 instead of BS3
-Nose-mounted Twin-linked Lascannon added
-Turret-mounted heavy bolters replaced with AA-mounted Twin-linked Lascannon

Still unsure of what to do for the tail, but right now I'm leaning towards either keeping the Assault Cannons, going with TL multi-melta, or TL (or just a pair) of plasma cannons.

TheAmbit
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#150 » Sep 15 2011 06:44

The free FAQ for IA1 has marauder stats in it.

Peregrine
Kor

Post#151 » Sep 15 2011 08:17

Orpheus Hangar wrote:The starboard wing's got some warping on the back edge I'm gonna need to take a hair dryer to

I'd be wary of doing that, since you'll have a lot less control over the heat than with the usual hot water method.

(and don't see any need foor it right now really)

Besides the really heavy primer coat, the main reason is that properly disassembling it and cleaning it up is going to remove a lot of paint anyway, so you might as well strip the whole thing and start over with a fresh coat.

I'm scared that parts my snap/shear off if I try to disassemble it.

Just be careful when you do it and stop applying pressure if it feels like the part is bending. Parts like the wing/engines/etc are fairly sturdy, and with resin models the weakest part is always the glue. Except for the most delicate parts (swords, etc), the glue will almost always break long before the resin does.

but if I go any further I'm gonna break out of the 600 points I set for this monster's cost

TBH, you're over that limit already. BS 3 to BS 4 is a 33% increase in firepower, AND you're adding additional guns, including an AA mount lascannon (way more effective than the usual AA mount ACs). That's a lot of stuff for a mere 20% increase in points, especially if you follow the generally-accepted rule that point costs for custom units should always err on the high side.

For reference, the character Marauder Destroyer I have in mind (BS 4, AA mount for all of its guns) is probably going to end up around 7-800 points.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#152 » Sep 15 2011 10:25

This thing isn't even primered; bare resin. I MAY try to pull parts off later if I work up the courage...

And I see...would 650 seem better to you, maybe make the front AV 11?

E'nigma
Shas

Post#153 » Sep 15 2011 10:47

Is it a Flyer or Super-heavy flyer?

Peregrine
Kor

Post#154 » Sep 15 2011 11:16

Orpheus Hangar wrote:This thing isn't even primered; bare resin.

Huh. It just looks like a heavy primer coat I guess, since some of the detail doesn't look as sharp as it should be and the color is a lot lighter than usual. I hope you didn't get a recast.

I don't know about exact points, but AV 11 would be bad. Remember, most AA weapons are STR 6-7, so adding the extra point of armor makes it MUCH harder to kill. There's a very good reason that even superheavy flyers like the Marauder and Tigershark are only AV 10.

Superheavy, as the huge size of the model might suggest.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#155 » Sep 15 2011 11:20

Peregrine wrote:
Orpheus Hangar wrote:This thing isn't even primered; bare resin.

Huh. It just looks like a heavy primer coat I guess, since some of the detail doesn't look as sharp as it should be and the color is a lot lighter than usual. I hope you didn't get a recast.

I don't know about exact points, but AV 11 would be bad. Remember, most AA weapons are STR 6-7, so adding the extra point of armor makes it MUCH harder to kill. There's a very good reason that even superheavy flyers like the Marauder and Tigershark are only AV 10.

If it WAS a recast, then they did a really bad job. The resin feels a tad "harder" than what I remember FW stuff being, but it's been a while. IF it was a recast, then they need to take some lessons from someone better; I believe one of my Hell Blades is a re-cast, and the only way I can tell the different is that it feels just a little lighter! ;)

Duly noted on the armor.

E'nigma
Shas

Post#156 » Sep 15 2011 11:31

Peregrine wrote:

OK I've never faced one before, haven't had too many Apoc experiences.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (10/8): Daemon Prince "Shogun" update

Post#157 » Oct 08 2011 03:57

Really drowsy right now, so I'll try to type up more afterwards; for now, just enjoy the pretty pictures. :)

Terminatorinhell
Shas

Post#158 » Oct 08 2011 10:57

That DP is still looking sweet, also when did you change the army name O.o I was confused for a bit.

Bel'kro
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#159 » Oct 09 2011 04:47

That is one very impressive DP. My only criticism is the fact that the flesh areas appear very dry instead of slimy (which is what I usually think of when I think of Nurgle). Maybe a coat of gloss varnish on the flesh areas will make it look more "squelchy"? Top notch work though, well done!

P.S. I like the Y-wing :P
Legend says his name contained over 20 apostrophes!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (10/14): "Shogun" complete!

Post#160 » Oct 14 2011 02:12

After a small hiatus cause by lack of interest in painting, I've been spurred on by friends (and my victory last game!) to do some more painting. I decided to go big and finish a fella who's more than earned his paint job: Shogun!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (10/21): Various projects update

Post#161 » Oct 20 2011 11:22

Alright everyone, it's been a week since the post on Shogun, so I figured I'd drop by and fill you all in on my other currently-active projects!

First up, we have a possible candidate for a combi-plasma Champion should I build another full Chaos Marine squad; may exchange it for a combi-melta or combi-flamer though.

Next up, we have a Warsmith I've been restoring to use as either a champion, chosen, or cheap Chaos Lord. We also have a pair of WIP Missile Launcher Marines; the loader and contorller marines will remain in the Havoc squad, but they will no longer be proxying as Missile Launcher-wielding Marines on the tabletop once these two join.

Third on the list is a WIP Hammer that will serves as the DCCW (Dreadnought Close-COmbat Weapon) for an upcoming project-a Warsmith Contemptor-Pattern Dreadnought!

Finally is more of a fun project for myself, a WIP True-scale Warsmith! The "claw" on the servo-arm came out defective, but when I tried to think of ways to save it, I rememebred an Iron Warriors dreadnought I had seen on Dakkadakka that had a large hydrualic pike/ram for a DCCW. Coupled with my love of Chrome Hounds (which had the hydraulic pikes at well), I took one of the spikes from one of the prows in the Chaos Vehicle Accessories kit and affixed it as such.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Iron Suns (10/22): True-scale Warsmith assembly complete

Post#162 » Oct 22 2011 08:02

The recent rumors of Tau possibly coming out soon have got the gears in my mind churning; I don't know what Tau will get and I'm short on good Tau bits, so it's more Chaos work. :) I've been having a blast with this guy, and hopefully the motivation I've had while working on him will carry over to, say, my Obliterators. :P Anyways, picture time!

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”