Dark Angels 4th Company (WIP photo heavy).

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Dark Angels 4th Company (WIP photo heavy).

Post#1 » Jul 31 2010 02:41

As an alternate to my Tau cadre and for a change of painting techniques I decided to start a Dark Angels Army. The plan is to complete a full company (4th Company) with support vehicles, Ravenwing and Deathwing.

This is the collection to date:
Naturally weapon options are magnetised....

Company Commander.... (Septimus).
Pictures later

Chaplain

1st Squad (veterans)

2nd Tactical Squad

3rd Tactical Squad

Deathwing
Teleport homer

Squad 1

Squad 2

Squad 3

Reworked the Sgt's eyes and swapped the shoulder pads around.

Ravenwing

Dreadnought Brother Ignus

To be completed:
2 Tactical Marine Squads
2 Devastator Squads

Wish list:
Loads of vehicles.......

Comments are always welcome.
El'mo
Last edited by El'mo on Jul 29 2011 10:35, edited 3 times in total.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: Dark Angels 4th Company (WIP photo heavy).

Post#2 » Aug 14 2010 07:11

Just treated myself to a Whirlwind and a Predator which will take some time as I am hoping to make both fully convertable into Rhinos and with fully interchangable weapons options. I will upload some photos as I progress.

On the magnetising theme... I thought I would upload a few photos of how the magnets where placed in the Landspeeder for anyone who is interested. I used 1 x 1.5mm magnets.

"Naked" Landspeeder with weapons options

Magnet locations circled on weapons

Magnet for chin weapon

Magnet in door recess

Magnet in trigger grip
I found that this weapon location was the hardest to complete as there was little plastic for errors. This required a very steady hand and slow drill speed to stop the plastic from melting.

Prophaniti
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 14 2010 10:00

That's some impressive stuff. Well researched on the company insignia. 4th is the hardest to do out of all of them I'd say. That's why I did the 5th and I did gat the whole company eventually.
Nach dem spiel ist vor dem spiel

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#4 » Aug 27 2010 01:23

Been a bit unorganised lately and rather than concentrating on 1 unit I have about 5 unfinished projects on the go at once. However I have managed to finish 3 members of my Devastator squad with the remainder hopefully ready by next week. Bases still need doing though.

2 x Lascannons

ImageImage
ImageImage

1 Multi Melta

ImageImage

I have also updated my photobucket account with a load of pictures of my original Orc and goblin army if anyone is interested.
http://s814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66 ... 20Goblins/

Have fun

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#5 » Sep 10 2010 12:41

And another 4 Devastators.... Enjoy

Plasma Cannon, Squad 10
Image Image

Plasma Cannon, Squad 9 (Ignore the hair) :D
Image Image

Heavy Bolter, Squad 9
Image Image

Heavy Bolter, Squad 10
Image Image

Should be able to complete the last 3 figures this coming week including the 2 Sgts.
Will upload them next weekend.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#6 » Sep 17 2010 12:49

Well, it has been a bit quiet on the comments front recently but this will be my last update for a while as I will getting back to my Tau over the next few months.

I have now finished off two Devastator Squads ( the 9th and 10th Squads in my 4th Company).

9th Squad

Sgt. 9th Squad

ImageImage

10th Squad

Sgt. 10th Squad

ImageImage
ImageImage

Missile launcher 10th Squad

ImageImage

I enjoyed the challenge of combining parts to make these figures into Dark Angels. They did not always fit perfectly but with a bit of persuasion I don't think you will notice.

My lens and eye work has improved over these models and I am now considering going over some previous models when I get the time but there are still loads of unopend boxes on my to do list.

Constructive C & C please (as it's the best way to improve skills).

El'mo

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Sep 17 2010 04:31

I love the Dark Angels. They have always been my favorite chapter of marines. The only thing I could suggest that would make your models look nicer, is a good wash...something to shade in those robes and the scrolls and banners a bit. Otherwise I love the paint scheme, good to see someone do them justice.

~Blueshock
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#8 » Sep 18 2010 05:43

Thanks for the comment Blueshock. They are my favorite as well due to their troubled past. They are more believable than the perfect Ultra marines. As they deal with their darker past it makes them more "Human".

The robes,scrolls and banners are subtlety shaded and inked.
I used black as an undercoat as I think it gives a grimmer finish more suiting to the Dark Angels fluff, followed by Bubonic Brown as a base then enough coats of Bleached Bone for complete coverage. A watered down wash of Chestnut Ink followed by a dry brushing of Bleached Bone over that. Finally a light dry brush with Skull White leaving the wash just in the folds of the material.

I am not sure if I want to try a more pronounced wash than I already have but thanks for your advice.

El'mo

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Sep 18 2010 02:40

You know, now that you mention that you have inked...I bet you it's just the pictures, for some reason photos never capture the models perfectly and are always more impressive in person. I do love your chapter though, it's very well done and I would kill to have a D.A. chapter so well put together and painted.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#10 » Oct 01 2010 11:24

I know this is not painted up as a Dark Angels model but one of the standard Blue ones, but this guy has been sitting in my to do box for months. He is from the Black reach box and as I already have this model as my Dark Angel Company Model I did not know what else to do with him....

He will be up for sale to get funds for other models so he will at least serve a purpose. :P

I lost his sword somewhere so I had to make a DA sword fit, dos this count as a conversion??

http://s814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66 ... 20Captain/
Last edited by El'mo on May 03 2011 12:54, edited 2 times in total.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#11 » Oct 08 2010 12:08

Here is the last few figures which where in the "to be painted" queue.

There will now follow a short intermission while I switch projects to a Planet strike set of 2 Bastions, Landing pad and loads of walls..... Pictures will be up on my Imperial Guard Topic as they are completed.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: Dark Angels 4th Company (WIP photo heavy)

Post#12 » Jan 28 2011 02:44

I have been busy painting and selling LOTR over Xmas so not a lot of new posts on any of my topics
however I found time to start a Whirlwind that has been gathering dust in my drawer since last summer.

I have mostly finished the Rhino part as I want it to be fully convertable between a Rhino and a Whirlwind.
The interior is complete and I just need to paint one hatch (the manhole lid from the top) and tidy up the outside a bit
then fix on Dark angels symbology and weather the outside which will also hide the paint blemishes and jobs done.

A Predator is next which will have fully interchangable weapon fits using magnets.

Comments and advice as usual.

The Whirlwind is now complete and the photos are below.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#13 » Feb 11 2011 02:47

The completed Rhino (2nd Tactical Squad) or Whirlwind

The model has been weathered with mud effect and scratched paintwork.

The vehicle has been named "Vengeance" after the large missile but it also works well for the Rhino

The interior is fully painted and weathered.

This photo shows the various parts which are interchangable.
The magnets in the launcher are circled in red and there is a part of an old knife blade
fitted to the back side of each missile pack to allow for both types of missile load.
The small hatch is fitted with a dish on one side and the hunter killer missile on the other.

Comments as usual are always welcome.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#14 » Feb 18 2011 01:18

Come on guy's, don't be shy. I know they are not Tau but I have them as well :roll:

Comments and queries help me to improve please (ducks for cover and grabs body armour) :::(

The next addition to the 4th Company...

3 members of the 7th Squad on detachment from the 10th Company.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

And the 4th Company Standard Bearer.

Image Image

Image Image

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Feb 18 2011 03:38

I for one love how everything looks. I may be partial, because green is my favorite color. :)

The weathering on the Rhino/Whirlwind is great. The shading and highlights, although subtle, do the job nicely. I think my favorite model is the company commander though.

Any idea what you are going to name him yet?
Aur'ocq shath'r'i tskan sha Tau'va

Terminatorinhell
Shas

Post#16 » Feb 18 2011 03:40

There was definitely a lot of improvement in your technique from the start of this thread. Good work!

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#17 » Feb 18 2011 04:57

Crunchy_Monk:
Thanks for the comment, and DA green seems to find is way into a lot of my models. I love the background to the DAs, brooding and gothic and the dark colours really help this along.

I am currently WIP on a Predator/Rhino which will be finished the same way as the previous Rhino/Whirlwind then I am planning on a couple of Rhino/Razorbacks in the near future.

I have been so busy recently with painting that I have not thought of a name for the commander. Any ideas? :?

Terminatorinhell:
Thank you kind sir, and for your previous help. The feedback always helps.

El'mo

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#18 » Feb 25 2011 10:42

The 3rd Tactical Squad Rhino/Predator is now complete.

This model is fully magnetised for all options.

To see how the magnetisation was done see: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=17094

More photos at: http://s814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66 ... %20Angels/

Comments as usual please.
Last edited by El'mo on Mar 18 2011 04:22, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”