Dark Heresy/Deathwatch/Rogue Trader: Looking for impressions

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Manus Veritas
Shas

Dark Heresy/Deathwatch/Rogue Trader: Looking for impressions

Post#1 » Sep 28 2010 03:01

I was passing through a local B&N and I caught sight of a new Rpg by Fantasy Flight: Deathwatch. I'd seen Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader before, but never Deathwatch.

I was curious if anyone here had played these games, as I am very interested in them, but would like to get a sense of how they play before I start grabbing all the rules books.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui

Re: Dark Heresy/Deathwatch/Rogue Trader: Looking for impressions

Post#2 » Sep 28 2010 07:27

I've GM-ed Dark Heresy, played Rogue Trader, and just about to start with Deathwatch :)

They are three different settings using a compatible base ruleset, though characters start at different power levels for different settings. Roughly if Dark Heresy PCs start at level 1, Rogue Trader PCs start at level 5 and Death Watch level 9.

In Dark Heresy, players take up the role of inquisitorial acolytes and go about solving cases and burning witches for the Inquisition, may it be from the Ordos Hereticus, Malleus or Xenos. Some people liken it to the World of Darkness setting. Think intrigue and horror. IMHO I believe that this setting captures the grimdark feeling of 40k the best out of the three.

In Rogue Trader, the PCs are now the Rogue Trader and his retinue, going about the 40k universe generally to set up trade routes, gain riches and explore new worlds. Some people liken it to the Traveller setting, though I think there's a difference where in Traveller, the party usually has only a small ship manned mostly by the PCs, while in the 40k universe, even the smallest frigate has thousands of crew, and the party tends to have a more leadership/command role, making use of the significant resources that they can call upon.

In Deathwatch, PCs become a Deathwatch Kill-team and basically go around killing things (not just limited to xenos) in the name of the Holy Inquisition and the Emperor. Emphasis here is more on tactical play I suppose. Some people liken it to a hack and slash, D&D type of setting. Power levels look pretty extreme here, characters and enemies both, I'll reserve my judgment on this until I get a few games under my belt.

As to the game system itself, I have to say that it runs pretty well, a good balance between complexity and fun. Enough detail to whet the appetite of the power gamer, while sufficiently streamlined enough for casual gamers. And at the very least, there's some decent fluff in the books. :biggrin:
Ka'ash Sept

Manus Veritas
Shas

Post#3 » Sep 28 2010 11:28

Thanks for the feedback, any one in particular you prefer?
I actually have the core Dark Heresy rule book, and was thinking of picking up Deathwatch. They both seem like they would show the best parts of the 40k universe and offer great modelling opportunities for PCs and NPCs alike.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Hayden
Shas

Post#4 » Sep 29 2010 02:42

i agree with CmdrCASh

iam also GMing both Rogue trader and Dark heresy and since my Death watch book arrived we also starting it.

i didnt like the Rogue trader not because the system or setting - i loved dark heresy - and i love all the trading and exploring stuff but everything was about Rogue trader and other players was shadowed by him. also cheap manpower means most quest has been fullifed by NPCs.

Dark heresy on other hand was excelent it showed how cheap the life is in Imperium we played lots of setting even guardsman kill-team we all loved it.

I looking forward to Deathwatch lots of new skills and rules to handle Astrates and foes and and setting is great:)

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 04 2010 10:32

Ran my first Deathwatch (DW) game over the weekend. Impressions: focus is very much on combat, with the odd puzzle solving thrown in. I like the horde rules - they simplify combat against multiple low-level foes pretty well. In Dark Heresy (DH), fighting the 70+ xeno critters I threw at them in the mission would have meant a ton of dice rolling, and seriously slow down the game.

I have read on Dark Reign that some people play a DH/DW combined campaign - Players play DH characters in the first part, investigating some Heretical/Daemonic/Xeno incident. DH characters are much better suited to this, due to their skillsets and also being able to blend in much better than a Space Marine in Power Armour :D. Then once the investigation is complete, players switch to their DW characters, and the second part begins with the DW being called in for a strike to terminate any targets with extreme prejudice. The benefit of this is that players can now play DH characters that are more focused on non-combat skills (For example Adepts and Clerics), without worrying too much about whether their characters are going to survive the (mostly inevitable) battle at the end of an investigation.

As for modelling opportunities, I suppose it would be easy to model DW, since all you would need are SM kits. It should be easier to get models for enemies as well - I'm already planning how to insert my Tau cadre into the campaign! :fear:
Ka'ash Sept

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#6 » Jun 05 2014 03:16

A little bit of Necromancy (not a 7th psychic discipline, maybe for future Necrons...)

It seems that FFG will publish a "Tau character guide" for Rogue Trader (digital only)

See it at the end of page here:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=78&esem=2

Download / Purchase link:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/130005/Rogue-Trader-Tau-Character-Guide&affiliate_id=210075

(You have a preview of the book. It seems a little interesting)

Details:
Rogue Trader: Tau Character Guide wrote:The 43-page Tau Character Guide provides Rogue Trader players with all the necessary information and rules to play Tau Explorers. Included in this supplement is a concise history of the Tau Empire, rules to play Tau Warriors of the Fire Caste, and an armoury from which to outfit characters with the advanced technology of the Tau.

The Tau Character Guide also offers three options for alternate career ranks, enabling your Explorer to become a Pathfinder, a Drone Handler, or even a Battlesuit Pilot. Of course, the Tau Empire would be nothing without its hyper-advanced technology, and you’ll find plenty of equipment and battlesuits in the Tau Armoury. Whether you strike from afar with a Kroot Hunting Rifle, blind your foes with Tau Photon Grenades, or experience the raw power of an XV8 Crisis Battlesuit, you’ll find Tau technology is a great companion in the wild space of the Koronus Expanse.

It seems that this game became a little more interesting for us...

Isoroku
Shas

Post#7 » Jun 05 2014 05:28

Uggh I've posted in Library

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”