3d Weapons & Models

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
paulson games
Shas

3d Weapons & Models

Post#1 » May 18 2011 07:57

Hi Guys,

I've been working on a bunch of generic parts, the fun thing about these is they were all designed in a 3D CAD program. They were printed out using a 3d printer before being cast in resin. It's been a lot of fun (with some frustration) learning how to do this stuff as it's so much differant than scratch building parts by hand.

here they are on a 32mm scaled mini. (mentally apply your favorite brand of plastic manz)

Last edited by paulson games on May 27 2011 04:34, edited 1 time in total.
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Shas'O Wilhelm
Vespid

Re: 3d Weapons

Post#2 » May 18 2011 09:08

Yum! I think the Mantis Warriors are supposed to be especially styled on Samurai. There is a Mantis Warrior player on BoLS, who just did a batrep against Aventine's Orange Nids. Maybe you two can get together and make beautiful models? Nothing like a showcase for a good sales pitch to the community :crafty:

Oh... btw... do you make Cyclone Missile Launchers?
They are almost like hen's teeth on eBay, and twice as expensive! :D

Dal'yth Mont'sha
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » May 18 2011 09:51

Hey Paulson, those are some extremely nice, and very detailed swords. That Ogre-Daichi is HUGE!

Oh and I love:

(mentally apply your favorite brand of plastic manz)

:)

And a reminder, simply because it has been so long since we have seen fresh work from Paulson that no, you may not start asking him about buying his components through ATT. Please refer any question you may have via the link in his signature.

paulson games
Shas

Post#4 » May 18 2011 11:54

Shas'O Wilhelm wrote:Oh... btw... do you make Cyclone Missile Launchers?

Cyclone missles, no as I'm not doing anything specificly aimed at GW lines.

Missle launchers however will most definitely happen. :)

Anybody that's read my older posts know I'm a huge fan of samurai stuff and decent samurai swords are impossible to find, I've never found any that have a very reaslistic look. That said I decided to make my own. :)

Dal'yth Mont'sha wrote:Hey Paulson, those are some extremely nice, and very detailed swords. That Ogre-Daichi is HUGE!

Of course it's huge, it's meant for Ogres afterall ;) Japanese legend has plenty of Ogres and Ogre Magi and they are all pretty huge monsters so I wanted a large two handed sword worthy of being used by a big nasty ogre. It's sized so that it should fit most any 54mm scaled model. (and still be large)

With the Battletech 25th aniversary box set release I've returned to playing battletech as my primary gaming interest and I'm working on some custom mech parts and gearing up to do a couple complete mecha styled models. That of course means high tech weaponry and giant robot love. I've been a fan of Robotech since I was a kid and battletech was the first gaming product I ever bought. I was 10 years old when it came out, and man that makes me feel ancient but also has a lot of fond memories attached to it. Last time I played it was almost 10 years years ago, but some things are just classic and the ruleset is virtually the same as when I had left off so is it a welcome change of pace and it was very easy to get back into the groove of playing. (IMO they still have one of the best miniatures systems ever)

Anyways here's a couple of inprogress parts that are just about ready for printing. I'll probably make them in two seperate scales, one sized for btech scale which floats between 30-55mm depending on the model, and then a second larger version which will fit some 60-90mm tall models that I'm planning on doing .

ImageImage

Here's some concept art of one of the mech design I have in mind and plan on building for my own miniatures game:

tehlegend
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » May 19 2011 10:49

Sweet Infant Jesus...

Well now I know who to go to when I want parts for crisis suit modifications...

Would you bu any chance be considering producing Railguns of varying sizes?

Peregrine
Kor

Post#6 » May 19 2011 10:01

Are the models in your first post straight out of the printer, or did they require cleanup/polishing/etc? I've wanted to do 3d printing with my own designs for a long time, but all of the examples I've seen so far have had a really ugly grainy surface that would require as much cleanup time as just building the physical model from scratch. Has this finally changed?

paulson games
Shas

Post#7 » May 19 2011 10:58

The katanas in the second pic are straight from the printer. There are a few tiny ridges from the printing but it's very minimal, the only way to see them is under magnification or if you give them an ink wash. A quick go over with a hobby knife and priming gets rid of 99% of the stepping marks. (For table top quality they may only need priming) Personally I think they'd be fine without any work for most gamers but for my parts I did the extra clean up as it's for a commercial product, and it will also help reduce the wear and tear on the molds.

There's a huge differance in the quality of printing that companies offer, I'd previously used shapeways but wasn't overly impressed with their stuff and switched to using Moddler (http://www.moddler.com) which has a printing resolution that's about 8 times higher than shapeways. They can get down to 16 microns, which is under a thousandth of an inch, or thinner than a human hair. Print-A-Part (or fine line printing) is another comperable company and they have a micro printing which gets even smaller although it costs significantly more.

Here's a shot of some really crazy level of detail from fineline (and expensive!):

Here's a shot of the parts straight from the printer with no cleaning, overall I was very impressed with the level of detail.

paulson games
Shas

Post#8 » May 24 2011 03:53

Just finished the last details on this model and emailed it to the printers along with the mini-gun and missle launcher. :)

Will post pics of the parts as soon as they are onhand.

And a personal project I'm starting on, got a downloaded model that I need to clean up so it can be printed. (finished taking it apart but tons of work to do still)

catland88
Shas

Post#9 » May 24 2011 05:34

...So let me see if I've understood this. You create 3d models, and email them to the company, who ship back printed parts?
And I really really want one of those katanas. Mmm.
Lurk before you post.

Terminatorinhell
Shas

Post#10 » May 24 2011 07:33

Forget the katanas I want a mech haha, but seriously though the detail is great I wish I could get some custome guns for my marines, acr style...

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”