Mecha Front - Now LIVE on Kickstarter

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
paulson games
Shas

Re: Mecha Front

Post#51 » Jun 22 2013 06:18

Xeones wrote:My one critique, is that I would personally like to see juuuust a bit more light surface detail on a model this size. I realize that you're going for a very clean aesthetic, but some recessed rivets, access panel,s and vents would be nice. Obviously, the kit is pretty much final at this juncture, but perhaps at some point later on, you might consider releasing a "super detailed" version of the kit with a supplemental sheet of brass etched parts? Just an idea...

I'm going to leave that stuff up to the hobbyist creating their own with styrene or etching tools. Going any smaller on detailing will probably end up in it being washed out and lost either on the orginal print during cleaning or by the time it's been molded. It's not much larger than a sentinel or a crisis suit and those don't feature all that much fine detail. Even the FW versions are pretty lax in surface detail.

Rivets would definitely look out of place as those are an archaic 40k device. Look at a standard tank like a M-1 Abrams and how many giant rivets do you see? It's not really a feature on a modern vehicle and I'd expect to see it even less on a future tech vehicle about 100 years from now. Assuming I wanted to add them the smallest I could hope to print them at is about .5mm in size, in scale that's around 3 inches which is massive for a bolt or rivet.
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

jentral
Shas

Post#52 » Jun 23 2013 08:00

Actually the Sentinel does have a decent hunk of rivets and stuff to it but I'm looking more scale on this one. Considering the size since if I remember right you're going for 10-15mm in all honesty you wouldn't see any rivets from the scale the model is. If these were 25-28mm I'd say different but atthat small a scale a better reference is Flames of War. It's based more in the past but even at 15mm they don't really show rivets even on a lot of the artillery pieces.

As for current tanks Rivets aren't being seen as much since if I remember right they're going more with having the rivets exposed on the inside to help prevent possible sabotage issues and it's kind of hard to watch a bolt even as big as they are fly off the outside of a tank as seeing it fall out of place on the inside. Never looked that close but next time I go past the base my dad served at I can get a closer look. His old millitary buddies like company anyways. >_<

Either way nice work. If I had cash to spare I'd send it your way for a couple but looking at the Robotech Miniatures first after I'm caught up. Can't wait to see one painted though. :biggrin:
Fear the beasts in your head not the jungle. - Catachan

Xeones
Shas

Post#53 » Jun 23 2013 08:58

Paulson,
That's a fair comment about the rivets. As I recall, rivets are really considered to be a less than optimal choice for AFVs these days since they lack the strength and durability of other more modern bonding tecniques. Perhaps 40k has colored my ideas somewhat --though I certainly wouldn't advocate that kind of aesthetic direction for your mechs since I think that would be wrong for the reasons you stated.

I personally feel that my general comment about more detail still stands (even the Abrams is not all smooth armored panels) but I also respect your choice to allow the end-user to add any additional detail they see fit. They're still good looking prints so I look forward to seeing more of these!
SPRUE FOR THE SPRUE GOD!!!

paulson games
Shas

Post#54 » Jun 26 2013 01:22

Some pics of the resin casts.

Scale shots

28mm manz-in-spaaaaaace

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#55 » Jun 26 2013 01:54

Hnnngh...if only they were staying in resin...that's beautiful, man - and I'm loving the fact that you went for a scale that allowed them to be large!

timb6ea
Shas

Post#56 » Jun 26 2013 03:50

My understanding is rivets went out of style during WW2 when it was discovered that relatively light caliber rounds striking the head of the rivet would often cause it to ricochet around inside the tank killing crewmembers and making the tanks vulnerable to light machine gun fire around the seams of the hull and turret. After that the seam joints were welded.
Will Flak'O for food.

duckinedit
Shas

Post#57 » Jun 26 2013 04:33

I have to say, I really like the look of whats coming out of here! Hope to see more like it in the future! :D
Play smart and remember what you've learned!

Kaiizen
Shas

Post#58 » Jun 26 2013 06:41

I had always wished that Battle Tech could have had larger miniatures, this might be the right path. Now the second part that came more recently is pose-able btech minis. Is that also a possibility? How much can you flex the joints on these?

paulson games
Shas

Post#59 » Jun 26 2013 07:12

Here's a shot of the parts, they give a decent range of mobility. The shoulder piece and arms can be posistioned pretty easily. Dynamic poses might take some cutting but certainly doable.

Kaiizen
Shas

Post#60 » Jun 26 2013 07:56

The "Knee" joint is going to be an issue still since the entire leg is one solid piece. But, since it's all in plastic it's a minor grievance at best. I can easily make the cuts necessary to make this guy look like he's striding across the battle field. Good work so far, I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”