El'mo's Chocochip Astra Milliwhatnow

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
El'mo
Shas'El

Re: El'mo's Chocochip Astra Milliwhatnow

Post#21 » Sep 28 2014 02:46

Thanks Zorcon :)

If anyone is wondering about the title then this will help to explain it :P
I know that it was all about GW being unable to copyright Imperial Guard but Astra Militarum just does not have the same ring to it...

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

Post#22 » Sep 28 2014 04:31

I don't know about you guys, but is that Clint Eastwood? Now, I'm gonna have to make a Clint model for my Guard. :crafty:

Czar Ziggy

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#23 » Oct 03 2014 05:15

Clint would make a great commissar model :)

Work has been continuing in the background on the Hellhounds/Bane Wolves/Devil Dogs and they are now at a factory paint finish along with the commanders bodies painted. Next comes the inking/washes, a bit of detailing, decals and weathering :)

I hope to be complete for the end of next week then a quick 10 snap fit Cadians as a change from vehicles before moving on to gluing some of the Baneblade together.

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#24 » Oct 10 2014 10:19

The Hellhounds are done, now for those pesky snap fit Guardsmen but my fingers are tingling with thoughts of how to magnetise that 8 in 1 Baneblade :evil:

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#25 » Oct 26 2014 06:08

711th Cadian Combined Arms Brigade

The 711th CCAB is a mixed arms unit comprising of the 897th Infantry Battalion and their support vehicles, the 975th Armoured Battalion, the 201st Artillery Regiment (a mixed platform force), remnants of the 661st Squadron Air Support unit and a small force of Elysians.

The 711th was recently dispatched to Eridanus Tertiary, also known to the local population as "Rivers End" as, due to it's close orbit to it's sun, it is mainly covered by rolling dunes and scrappy vegetation. A significant force of Orks under Warboss Sturtuk had attacked smaller settlements and the Astra Militarum had been called to help the Planetary Governor whose only forces where a ceremonial bodyguard which where fully unprepared to fight the green horde.

Eridanus Tertiary

On arrival, they discovered that due to a warp transit accident and extremely poor planning by the Departmento Munitorum, their full entitlement of desert adapted equipment had not arrived and they where only able to be outfitted in the distinctive camouflage clothing but not the equipment.

Sgt Major Nesh was heard to joke that the clothing reminded him of his mothers biscuits and so the Brigade unofficially adopted the name "Chocochip Rats".

The vehicles have adopted a mixed green/sand camouflage scheme which blends in well with the surrounding terrain although the constant abrasive effect of the wind blown sand does not take long to make a freshly painted vehicle look like it has been there for years.

The Brigade is currently shaking out prior to full deployment on a seek and destroy mission.

Reinforcements have arrived for the 711th CCAB.
10 slightly converted snapfit Cadians. No unit markings yet as they will be added to future squads as and when.

Partially done with my next WIP - magnetised Sentinel.
All weapons options are magnetised along with the roll bars and/or armoured top.

Next up is 3 ML teams on my home made 60mm base which also doubles as a wound marker.

and I will be concentrating on my 8 in 1 Baneblade project. The sponsons are already done...

R.D.
Shas'La

Post#26 » Oct 26 2014 09:48

Nice Cadians! Do like the more modern warfare-y scheme you got going.

RevRanDoM
Por'O

Post#27 » Oct 26 2014 03:13

Looking good. This makes me want to start my own guard army now. :)

I really like your artistic impression of camo. Has the real life military feel but is adapted to look great on the tabletop.

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#28 » Oct 31 2014 01:47

Thanks RevRanDoM :)

More completed this week...

Firstly the fully magnetised Sentinel is now complete, all weapons are magnetised along with the roll bars and armoured top.

You can see how I have magnetised my AM vehicles here on the B&CS.

Also I completed 3 Missile teams on home built bases which allow me to remove the rifleman as a wound marker or to use him in a squad if I do not play the team.

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#29 » Nov 14 2014 04:50

The next project is the big one... magnetised 8 in 1 Baneblade and here is where I am so far. Nearly all magnetised with just the hull top to complete. Up to almost 50 magnets at the moment.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#30 » Nov 14 2014 06:26

Schadenfreude, the pain to create this brings me joy. That is an astonishing number of magnets and good pre-thought work. Great job and good luck.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#31 » Nov 21 2014 06:12

Thanks Vay :)

97 magnets later.... just need to paint it now :::(

For anyone who is interested, the tutorial is here

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#32 » Jan 11 2015 08:17

The Baneblade has been on hold as it has been committed to a painting challenge starting this week so in the meantime I painted up 10 veterans using a mixture of Cadian and Scion bits along with a Commissar mostly made up from the Baneblade commander. I think they came out well.

Siyath
Shas

Post#33 » Jan 11 2015 08:24

Loving the amount of detail there. Especially the wrist screens are a really nice touch. The commissar's bone decorations could use a hint of dark wash, perhaps? Unless the lighting plays tricks, of course.

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#34 » Jan 11 2015 09:30

Thanks Siyath :)

It is actually white and not bone but it could do with a grey wash to bring out the depth (also the brightness of the photos do not help :( ). I will get round to it eventually.

Patchoro
Shas

Post#35 » Jan 11 2015 09:45

wow those veterans look stunning. Many nice details look at.
The longer you look the more you see.
Well done sir!

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#36 » Jan 17 2015 01:00

Thank you kind sir :)

I have been busy this last week. Firstly I always wanted an Autocannon turret for my Chimera so using the mantlet from the Heavy Bolter and the front end from the Heavy Weapons Team Autocannon I made this and due to the use of magnets I can still swap back to a Multilaser when I want. It looks effective, just need to try it in a game now...

The work on the Baneblade continues. As this is such a massive model and due to it being able to transform into all 8 variants from the box set it is going to take at least another 2 weeks to paint. I managed to complete the sand stripes, not forgetting that these have to match up for every variant and the alternate locations of the sponsons so it took a little thinking about before I could splat on the paint. I then got some of the smaller assemblies done to avoid boredom but that means that I still need to deatil and shade the hull assemblies then decal and weather the whole thing.

Here are 2 of the variants so you can see the progress so far.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#37 » Jan 20 2015 08:04

Solid work Elmo, particularly like the Veterans with the mixed bits - not overly crazy about the Scions, but the pieces you selected are similiar to what I'd like too - great to see them put together so :)

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#38 » Jan 23 2015 01:45

Thanks Teal :)

And the 8 in 1 Baneblade is complete.

Here are 2 of the variants in close up

Baneblade

Stormlord

The magnetisation tutorial can be found here and more photos can be found here and at my DeviantArt site

At last my painting corner has been freed up for a new project.... The question is "Which one??" ;)

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”