Kepora's Skaven (6/4: Some VERY special additions!)

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Kepora's Skaven (6/4: Some VERY special additions!)

Post#1 » Apr 22 2014 04:16

Hey! I'll be posting here occasionally as I slowly hammer away at a custom Clan Skryre-originated Skaven Clan which has yet to be named. The general idea is that the Warlord in charge has found a way in which to blackmail a minor noble on the surface into coercion, forming an almost mafioso type of alliance (You help me cover my ass and pay protection, and I'll help you deal with 'problems'), trading goods - particularly technology - wiht the surface-dwellers. He has delusions of grandeur and a taste for the fine, classy, and exotic; the best foods, the finest wines, the brightest gold, the prettiest women - if it's unnecessary and indulgent, he craves it. This also secures his position, for he (somewhat unwillingly) shares his ill-gotten gains with fellow ranking members, reducing their desire to strike him down. After all, who but he could maintain such a delicate relationship, and who really wants to give up an easy job with great benefits? ;)

Here's the WIP of the warlord. I'm thinking black fur, silver or gold armor (he has a MAJOR lust for gold), and red, purple, or green cloth. If I can gt enough practice on it, I may even add embroidery or a checkered pattern on the edges, something to distinguish it as high-class fabrics and quality metalworking. Any and all suggestions are welcome - particularly for colors and names! :P

Last edited by Orpheus Hangar on Jun 04 2014 03:37, edited 5 times in total.

RevRanDoM
Por'O

Re: Trying Skaven again - and seriously this time!

Post#2 » Apr 22 2014 09:09

Nice conversion. Is the torso from Queek Headtaker?

I'm a fan of Skaven, too, so I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

The guys over at The Underempire would probably enjoy seeing your WIP if you're not already a member there.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#3 » Apr 22 2014 10:08

RevRanDoM wrote:Nice conversion. Is the torso from Queek Headtaker?

I'm a fan of Skaven, too, so I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

The guys over at The Underempire would probably enjoy seeing your WIP if you're not already a member there.

Indeed it is! The helmet crest is from the Island of Blood warlord, the arms, pommel decoration, and I believe the blade at the tip are from the Stormvermin kit, the chainsword portion is from the Chaos Raptors kit, and the fuel tanks are from the Sentinel kit. :)

Paintee
Shas

Post#4 » Apr 23 2014 02:05

Dude, if you hadn't noticed, this is Advanced TAU Tactica. Notice the TAU part. Why are you talking about fantasy? And not about The Tau Empire. Please speak about Tau in future. For The Greater Good! :fear:
What is this "Me-lee" you speak of?

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#5 » Apr 23 2014 06:27

Paintee wrote:Dude, if you hadn't noticed, this is Advanced TAU Tactica. Notice the TAU part. Why are you talking about fantasy? And not about The Tau Empire. Please speak about Tau in future. For The Greater Good! :fear:

Dude, if you hadn't noticed, it's in the "Enemy Units & Alternate Systems" forum. It's a sub-forum dedicated to non-Tau projects that ATT members are also working on. Many of us have alternate interests as well! ;)

Deet
Shas'La

Post#6 » Apr 23 2014 11:14

I love the Skaven army. If I ever went Warhammer Fantasy, I might have to go with those guys...or Lizardmen. Just too many infantry models to paint for both armies. Their big monsters are fantastic though. I'll look forward to to your progress.

RevRanDoM
Por'O

Post#7 » Apr 23 2014 11:51

Orpheus Hangar wrote:
Paintee wrote:Dude, if you hadn't noticed, this is Advanced TAU Tactica. Notice the TAU part. Why are you talking about fantasy? And not about The Tau Empire. Please speak about Tau in future. For The Greater Good! :fear:

Dude, if you hadn't noticed, it's in the "Enemy Units & Alternate Systems" forum. It's a sub-forum dedicated to non-Tau projects that ATT members are also working on. Many of us have alternate interests as well! ;)

Agreed and in addition, the original post is an excellent example of the quality of posts that we like to promote here at ATT. Orpheus provided us with both the fiction and some great work in process photos which were properly sized for the forum. All in all, it's an excellent post even if it has nothing to do with the Tau specifically.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Kepora's Skaven (4/24: Warlord & WLC)

Post#8 » Apr 24 2014 01:53

So I took some time to re-position Warlord Rakkit-Ear so that he ranks up with other figures, put some basing on, and removed more mold-lines (I removed even more after these pictures revealed what I missed!). Just these few changes helped drastically, I think! Also, until I can think of a better name - or until one of you suggests one - I'm thinking of calling his weapon Deathshrieker, named after the sound it makes when striking armor while revved to it's highest speed/power.

Just a shot of a WIP Battle Standard Bearer, modeled off a spare Island of Blood warlord:

And here's some WIP shots of the Warp Lightning Cannon! It's a neat kit, but I thought the stock model was too...'empty'. I yanked wooden planks off of the old siege tower, grabbed some giant rats from my bits box, and a carved-up top half of a Sentinel's hips to spruce it up some! It's dry-fitted currently, the cannon, sides, and wheels remaining separate for ease of painting.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Kepora's Skaven (4/25: Warlord Rakkit-Ear primed)

Post#9 » Apr 25 2014 03:41

Right, after perusing the comments made so far, I realized that his old helmet crest WAS indeed crooked - and that there were some unsightly gaps that would've been a pain to fix, even with liquid greenstuff. So, I scrapped that, scraped/filed down the helmet, and grafted on the helmet crest from a Stormvermin leader helmet, and finished cleaning up the mold-lines. Now that he's got some black primer, a lot of the minor imperfections have sorted themselves out, and he's become MUCH easier to photograph! As for what colors he'll be getting:

-Purple cloth, possibly with gold embroidery on the edges
-Mostly silver/gunmetal armor, but with gold decorations. Possibly even a gold helmet/helmet crest!
-The Deathshrieker will likely be primarily gold, with a silver blade on the tip and a green glow from the teeth - possibly from the blade on the end, too.
-Black fur, likely minimal flesh showing. If the snout ends up getting a fleshy color, the nose itself will either get a darker flesh color or maybe even black (vote!)
-I'm unsure what to do about the wire/hose coming from the tanks; red? green? bronze? black?
-What fur colors should the little rats get?
-What color should his eyes be?

And to Tapey from Papanurgle: I tried your idea, but I just couldn't get anything together that I was happy with - certainly not good enough for one of the centerpiece models of the army! Hopefully the painting will do it justice, though. :)

Paintee
Shas

Re: Kepora's Skaven (4/25: Warlord Rakkit-Ear primed)

Post#10 » Apr 25 2014 01:59

Sorry dude, please accept my apologies. I did not realise the forum it was in.
What is this "Me-lee" you speak of?

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Kepora's Skaven (4/27: Warlord Rakkit-Ear PIP)

Post#11 » Apr 27 2014 09:28

So I've dedicated most of last night and a good portion of today to finally getting to putting down paint on Rakkit-Ear! Unfortunately, I came to a sobering realization after I sprayed Tallarn Flesh on him and some Clanrats and I began to dig through my paints, something I had forgotten:

I SUCK at painting flesh. :::(

It also didn't help that all the flesh-colored paints I own greatly vary in tone, and just don't work well together. Despite this, though, I tried to make it work...only to make a couple of slip-ups that'll be incredibly difficult to rectify, such as accidentally hitting his tail with my brush while painting the cloth. :'( I may invest in some new flesh-colored paints this upcoming month, though, so if you have any good suggestions, fire 'em at me! Either way, here's where he stands as-is:

The gold was based almost entirely off of Guitarasmus' method for painting gold trim, though as it currently stands I lack any Gryphone Sepia (or it's new equivalent) that hasn't dried up. After seeing it in practice, though, I'm seriously considering jsut painting the fuel tanks for Deathshrieker in the same manner! it looks like gold, but it still has depth and a rather 'battered' look; what do you guys think? And is the purple cloth working? Should I go for straight-up black for his fur, or maybe Stormvermin fur (which is a dark grey-ish, slightly brown neutral color)?

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Kepora's Skaven (6/4: Some VERY special additions!)

Post#12 » Jun 04 2014 03:41

So I've taken another major hit in my Wargaming budget recently.

Car troubles? Nope.

Medical bills? Thankfully not. (Thank you, Affordable Healthcare Act!)

[Insert whiny drama reason]? Not this time!

So what is the reason, you ask? Well...there's two reasons! Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to the newest additions to my family, Patch and Pudge! :biggrin:

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre

Post#13 » Jun 04 2014 03:47

Orpheus Hangar wrote:Medical bills? Thankfully not. (Thank you, Affordable Healthcare Act!)

I'm glad somebody's rates went down, mine doubled...

Congrats on the new family members! I had a couple pet rats when I was very young.
I do need to ask you to try and resize the pictures (640x480 is the usual max) for ease of viewing

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#14 » Jun 04 2014 03:55

Da Skyman wrote:
Orpheus Hangar wrote:Medical bills? Thankfully not. (Thank you, Affordable Healthcare Act!)

I'm glad somebody's rates went down, mine doubled...

Congrats on the new family members! I had a couple pet rats when I was very young.
I do need to ask you to try and resize the pictures (640x480 is the usual max) for ease of viewing

Yeah, a handful of people's did, sadly - maybe it's time to start shopping around for some alternatives? There's a lot of company owners stuck in their ways and not wanting to budge (when my sister worked at the theater, the district manager said no to their raise "because of Obamacare", but yet they had the funding to hire three more people they didn't need. Funny how that works, huh? :( ).

Anyways, thank you! I'm wishing I had had a chance earlier in my life; they're still getting used to me but I've adored them every moment! :) And I'll hack away at the pics again soon, I already had to trim them down once to post them on Papanurgle.

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”