Ok, time for some new stuff!
Tohaa are very competitive and have some nifty tricks. However, they just don't play the way I would like them to. On top of that painting bone colored armor gets old really fast. So the artichokes are going on the shelf as my secondary army and I invested in the Aleph Assault Sub Section, aka the Steel Phalanx! I picked up the starter box, an extra Myrmidon, Ajax, Diomedes, and Penthi... Penny.
I love the way these guys and girls play! They cost a few more points, but between their ODD and other nice toys they are able to move up the board and hit like a wrecking ball when they get to where I need them! I couldn't be happier with my new army.
They also came together nicely as well. Very few mold lines, little to no sprue taps coming off of awkward places, and arms and legs that fit together nicely. Diomedes was a unique challenge though with his "wings" the contact points were so small that I knew they wouldn't hold anything on for long. SO instead of messing with it I went straight to drilling holes in him and pinning the wings on. My drill holes in the wings weren't perfectly lined up so it's not as pretty as I would like. But they are on there solid and I think I can hide my horrible pinning job with some nice painting later on.
With my Tohaa I used some scenic bases from Secret Weapon (Alien Temple) and while they look amazing I had to either pin the model to the base or just pray my glue was sufficent. (FYI: It's not) Either way it meant I had to cut the large gate off their feet, try not to bend the legs, enevitably rebend then legs, file the sole of the feet flat, and then drill up into the leg. Whew! not a lot of fun and not something I want to do again. So I took a page from my Tau army and went back to the good old sand and PVA glue.
The models were attached to their bases, greenstuffed things into place, then put a fine layer of PVA mixed with water (roughly 50/50). I then dipped the base into some fine sand and knocked off the lose bits. I then glued several larger pieces of sand on each base, and sealed everything down with a second layer of water/PVA. After that it sits for a night to let everything dry. Total time per base is just a few minutes and the mini is sitting perfectly flush and is attached rock solid- I couldn't be happier!
Two tone prime with black and white Rustoleum.
So now I'm all caught up with what I've done. I've painted one Thorakite to completion as a test model and I'm happy with the result. I entered him into the Mayacast painting comp so I can't show him off just yet. But here are the other two Thorakites and the Agema. They have been base coated and washed. I should be able to start highlighting them tonight and over the next few days. These are my line troops so I'm just trying to get used to how the metallics paint and get the technique down. The characters will be done indivdually and get some extra time and love put into them.