Infinity Painting/Project Log- Bringing home hardware.

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Shadow Strike
Shas'La

Re: Infinity Painting/Project Log (Long Overdue Update)

Post#31 » Jan 22 2016 05:25

Addendum:

My plan was to proxy the Dactyl doctor profile at LVO since CB hadn't released it... but CB had other ideas in mind and released it, so now I have to paint it.

I took a slightly different approach to painting the eyes this time around- I didn't paint them. I just darkened the eye sockets a bit and focused on highlighting the face as usual. And what a face! The model isn't very flashy, but once you get it under the lamp you gain a real appreciation for the level of quality that went into the sculpt!

I made the pants blue to match the other Dactyl. But some people saw the WIPs with the hair unpainted and really liked the grey look so I decided to make him a bit older looking. I think he looks a bit like Cable from X-Men :D

Shadow Strike
Shas'La

Re: Infinity Painting/Project Log (Long Overdue Update)

Post#32 » Jul 18 2016 08:45

A few months back I picked up the special edition Achilles box that had two models in it. I figured this was a great chance to really push myself in terms of what I could do with an airbrush and a regular brush. I also loved the models and wanted to do them justice.

White is a color that's tough to get right and I wanted to figure it out and nail it. I also wanted to figure out how to do a nice power weapon instead of my typical metallic paint. I did a lot of research into both methods and tried to come up with something I thought I could do.

Let's see how I did...

I decided to enter both into a couple of competitions. The first was the SaltCon single figure. There was a lot of nice entries and was mostly fantasy minis, so my space man stood out... That made me a bit nervous that I had missed the target audience. But the judges were kind on my little metal man.

The second was a few months after. I took the judges comments from SaltCon and redoubled my efforts. This time I entered the Salt City Gladiator Games painting comp known as the Salty Dwarf. The competition was much tougher as this one draws entries from several states away. Every model in that case could be a centrepiece for someone's army. There were 20+ entries and showed off a variety of styles of painting. 40k, Warmachine, Malifaux, every type of mini was there and looked fabulous! It was nerve wracking waiting for the judges, but it paid off:

I still have a lot of room to improve, but I'm happy with my progress and think I've started to find what works for me.

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”