Secret Project

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Secret Project

Post#1 » May 20 2014 12:41

So, I've been slowly working on something for the local Comic Expo, something that will hopefully open up the path to work on bigger and better things:

So far, I've done pretty much just the paper stage, wherein I print everything out on heavy card stock and then glue it together. Next step is to resin the outside to give it the rigidity to withstand having a mix of bondo and resin poured into the interior of the models, at which point I can then cut seperate the chest piece into a clamshell and begin work bondo-ing the exterior.

The models from from Artificium Obscuras, where I also spend a lot of time reading up on the cool things other people have done.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Re: Secret Project

Post#2 » May 20 2014 04:14

That's going to be quite cool, I'll have to check out the link another time. I won't tell anyone. Shhhh! :D

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » May 20 2014 07:58

These projects are fun. I did this with an ODST suit and it worked great. It would have been even better if I wasn't so cheap ;)

I am curious though about your process. This was my step-by-step:
    -cardstock pepakura
    -resin on the outside to help hold the shape
    -a couple layers of fiberglass on the inside
    -then bondo on the outside for details, shaping, etc.

Is there a reason you are using Bondo/Resin on the inside? I've never heard of using a mix as the main structure. It's been a while since I made mine so for all I know the traditional way of doing it may have changed.

amarktho
Shas

Post#4 » May 20 2014 08:24

Just a question out of interest. How do you plan to process the resin? I heard the dust can cause cancer if you inhale it.

I'm very interested to see more of this!

Cheers,

Mark

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#5 » May 20 2014 03:44

amarktho wrote:Just a question out of interest. How do you plan to process the resin? I heard the dust can cause cancer if you inhale it.

I'm very interested to see more of this!

Cheers,

Mark

I've got an organic respirator that I use while applying the resin. Once it's on and dry, I'll be able to handle it without protective gear.
Da Skyman wrote:These projects are fun. I did this with an ODST suit and it worked great. It would have been even better if I wasn't so cheap ;)

I am curious though about your process. This was my step-by-step:
    -cardstock pepakura
    -resin on the outside to help hold the shape
    -a couple layers of fiberglass on the inside
    -then bondo on the outside for details, shaping, etc.

Is there a reason you are using Bondo/Resin on the inside? I've never heard of using a mix as the main structure. It's been a while since I made mine so for all I know the traditional way of doing it may have changed.

Bondo and Resin mixed together forms a kind of slurry most people call rondo (so inventive); once you have a mixture you're happy with, you add the catalyst for the resin and then mix quickly, you'll have about 10 minutes to apply what you have. You simply ensure any holes are covered or small enough to avoid any dripping and then pour it into the part you're putting together. You tilt and roll the part to ensure coverage and when it hardens, you've got the same support as fiberglass without the annoying strands and dangerous dust. Bondo is then applied to the outside exactly the same. Or at least, that's what I'm told. I'll be learning as I go on this one, and watching many YouTube tutorials and videos.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”