Short 3d piece

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
paulson games
Shas

Short 3d piece

Post#1 » Jun 01 2014 12:22

Not really sure where to post this, it was my final project for an animation class at school. It's unfinished as I need to add more to it but it more than met the class requirement (which only needed 30 seconds) When I have some more free time I plan on doing some sci fi stuff, maybe even Tau themed. :)

http://youtu.be/9GrGM_myflM

Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

paulson games
Shas

Re: Short 3d piece

Post#2 » Jun 02 2014 03:34

Fixed the link so it works now also added a still shot. :)

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#3 » Jun 02 2014 03:03

Interesting video.
Are you in animation graphic dedicated course or is this class an extra of normal curses ?

I was too giving lessons of CGI to some voluntary students about 8 years before. Your result is more impressive.
I know it's hard to goes from static mesh building to full animation with a story.

Just a comment about the "Hey, battery !" moment : don't use image flashing, but a camera zoom or a FOV change or a travelling. It is much nicer and smoother for the eyes.

paulson games wrote:When I have some more free time I plan on doing some sci fi stuff, maybe even Tau themed. :)

+1, but I've already started some meshes ... Time consuming, specially with hi-res models. And I am in learning non-linear animations processes to achieve a good looking (inverse kinematic, motion paths, ... forward kinematic and defined paths are very long to set up).

Good luck !

paulson games
Shas

Post#4 » Jun 03 2014 01:08

Thanks :) The course was an introductory class and I took it just a single class so I could get a feel for the animation aspect. I've slowly been teaching myself to model over the last 3-4 years but I had never worked with any textures or animating before the class so that part was all very new. Unfortunately they don't have a level two class scheduled until spring of 2015, so I will likely try and find some online courses this summer or fall.

The battery moment was one of the last scenes I was working on and finished it literally within 5 minutes of when I needed to leave for school, the timing is much too quick and I needed to have the shots take longer as it would better highlight the robots head movements and tracking what he's looking at, and as you suggested zooming a bit would have been good. I also wanted to have the other robot light back up and come alive but I ran out of time before it was due.

I just upgraded to a really nice computer so it renders at a pretty quick rate, if I had to use the school computer it would have taken me weeks to do, I was able to do the rendering time in about 3 hours total for just the shown project, I did probably about twice that as I rendered some parts and wasn't happy so I redid keys and motion paths a couple times before I was happy with it. The meshes are a decent poly count but it's the glass and reflective paint that slowed the rendering quite a bit.

It was a good learning experience but a bit stressful as the time window was tight. I'll likely be finishing it so I can use it as a portfolio piece.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#5 » Jun 03 2014 12:47

paulson games wrote:The meshes are a decent poly count but it's the glass and reflective paint that slowed the rendering quite a bit.

There are tricks to render rapidly. Using reflection on glass and paint may be pretty, but time consumers:
There are three basics steps before doing full raytracing mirror, most are based on how reflective is the material :
- If you only need to emphasize the "brilliant", play with the material shininess (no mirror effect)
- If your shiny reflective parts are very mobile or small, using a generic "reflection texture" or a generic HDR reflection map saves time and are good looking (for object that mirror very few of their environnement, like 10-30%).
- For small parts in not-moving environment when you need to show the object in the reflection, a baked environnement map takes less time (mirror to 50% to 100% based on the scene and realism).

Raytracing mirror is very heavy and not seen in the render is too small, or not visible.

Good start, waiting your first Tau subject (seeing your Mechs meshes, it can be impressive).

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”