Fen'dor Clan Defense Fleet (9/4: A new Hope)

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Fen'dor Clan Defense Fleet (9/4: A new Hope)

Post#1 » Apr 02 2015 04:05

Right. I'm still working out fluff for the fuzzballs, but that'll come soon enough - for now, a few images that should give an idea of the scheme I'm going for. The small scale of these models is going to make painting them a challenge - even with the original paint stripped! I'm already having trouble with the X-wing, and I have an A-Wing stripped, just awaiting magnets. I also have a Y-Wing on the way, as well as an awesome alternative E-Wing model by Mel Miniatures. The idea is for an off-white fleet with orange markings and dark grey mechanical details, a little silver mixed in to spice things up a tad. Alternatively, I could yank my Tau's color scheme, with green instead of white.

It's really crappy, but here's a 5-minute recolor I did in Paint.net to give an idea what the green scheme might look like:

What do you guys think?
Last edited by Orpheus Hangar on Sep 04 2015 12:40, edited 4 times in total.

Stygian
Shas

Re: Fen'dor Clan Defense Fleet - A Bothan X-Wing fleet!

Post#2 » Apr 02 2015 12:56

I would personally suggest going for the Sa'cea like paint scheme as that green seems a little too stark. But the idea is cool and you can never go wrong with a little Starwars sprinkled everywhere

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#3 » Apr 02 2015 04:32

y'know, I kinda like that idea. I don't think I have the proper blue-grey for that, though - and I STINK at mixing colors. :P

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#4 » Apr 02 2015 11:25

Right, so after being stripped AGAIN, I took another crack at the X-Wing. I tried white primer, but - as always - the stuff fuzzed up thanks to the humidity (I really, REALLY hate Louisiana). I started documenting my painting process - though my stripped adn primer shots were seriously washed out. So, my process is:

1: Soak the model in brake fluid to strip the paint. Purple Power eats through GW paints, but barely scratches X-wing models; brake fluid is the other way around.

2: Remove the peg from the bottom of the craft I wish to work on. usually a little wiggling and pulling, and it comes out, giving me a pilot hole for step 2.

3: Drill a hole for a 1/8" by 1/16" rare earth magnet. When the magnet is placed, I cut the peg off the stand and use sandpaper to rough it up, as well as one sid eof the second magnet so that the super glue adheres better. I also glue in the bottom half of the stand (leaving the base unglued).

4: Wrap the stand (detached from the base) in masking tape, and attach the model. Spray it with black primer on all sides, then dust from above and at downwards angles with white.

5: Give the model a solid coat of GW Celestra Grey. though it's a abse paint, some of the shading from step 3 shows through.

6: Follow up with an airbrush of GW Ceramite White from above and the sides, as well as other select areas. This leaves the Celestra Grey in the recesses and on the underside.

7: Apply watered-down GW Eshin Grey to areas that won't later be painted silver, and the start painting the orange areas.

That's all for now! I'm going to try resisting doing too much more until the Tamiya masking tape I ordered comes in. Once that arrives, I can really go to town without having to worry about screwing up the white anymore!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Fen'dor Clan Defense Fleet (4/3: X-Wing finished!)

Post#5 » Apr 03 2015 08:38

Remember how I said I was gonna wait?

Welp. I lied.

HOLY CRAP was this thing hard to paint! I'm hoping that the lack of S-Foils on the rest of the fleet will make them easier...

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Fen'dor Clan Defense Fleet (4/6: A-Wing scheming!)

Post#6 » Apr 06 2015 06:14

I need help, fellow ATTers - I'm stuck on which scheme I need to use for my A-Wing!

Here's Option #1:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/347 ... ng%203.jpg

Option #2:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/347 ... %203-1.jpg

And Option #3:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/347 ... %203-3.jpg

Which do you guys think would be the best approach? if none of these, then feel free to erase my shoddy work and draw up something cool! ;)

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#7 » Apr 06 2015 09:59

I do t play xwing, but I do like the colour scheme that you're doing for them.

With that in mind, take option one, and reverse the colours, except for the canopy, it would be more in line with what you have going on with the xwing. So, make the greys Orange and the Orange greys.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#8 » Apr 06 2015 01:58

Deepstrike, I think you may be on to something!

Does that tickle your fancy? ;)

P.S.: My custom E-Wing is coming in the mail today - so excited~!

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#9 » Apr 06 2015 03:15

Yup, that's what I meant

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Fen'dor Clan Defense Fleet (4/6: E-Wing Arrival!)

Post#10 » Apr 06 2015 04:58

Well, lookit what I got int he mail today, kudos of Shapeways and Mel Miniatures!

After a little TLC with an X-acto knife (very little, in fact) and a little drilling to make the engine intakes and exhausts more open/better-defined - and a two-tone primer coat - we end up with this little beauty!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Fen'dor Clan Defense Fleet (4/6: E-Wing Arrival!)

Post#11 » Jul 16 2015 08:55

So, I've run into the problem I feared I would.

Orange is a horrible, messy PITA to paint.

To alleviate this problem, I'm considering going to another color for the markings and such; however, I have a number of good colors I can't decide from! Here's some of my best options:

I'm kind of leaning towards dark blue or a dark green (possibly a darker forest green then the ones shown, if I can find some!). I'm completely and utterly torn. So, I leave the floor to you: If you feel I should try one of the above colors, name the number of the color (or colors if you can't pick one!) above you think would be best for my clan's markings - and if the hulls of the vessels should be white or grey!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Fen'dor Clan Defense Fleet (9/4: A new Hope)

Post#12 » Sep 04 2015 12:41

Right, so. For a day or two there...I'd completely given up all hope of repainting my Rebel fleet. I was just having way too mcuh damn trouble painting such small, fiddly figures! A recent, rather lengthy bout of depression further diminished my mood and my ability to focus. However, with the stubbornness us Americans are famous for ('Murrica!), I forced myself to calm down, sit down, and take my freaking time. I started at around 6-8 AM, and it's 12:35 PM now - and only this much is done. However, for once, I don't want to throw it to the floor and roll over it with my chair's wheels. It may be A New Hope after all - which is funny, since it's been my most problematic fighter to paint so far! I was even happy enough to take it outside (and internally make a few swooshing sounds) to take some "flying" shots:

Needless to say, the orange and white combo is dead. It has given me far too much grief -and something's really 'clicking" with this new scheme! I'm going to make the grey areas darker so they pop a bit more - but I honestly think that this little bugger's finally going to look great! I'll likely give it the blue engine treatment too, unless I can find some good yellows... ;)

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#13 » Sep 04 2015 03:27

Pictures are way too damn small, but I had to hold the camera far away or else the flash washed everything out. The dark grey went on a little too thick, but otherwise I'm liking where this is going!

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Sep 04 2015 03:38

Have you considered shading these? it would really help pop out all of the small details, and is easy to do.

A thinly applied water-thinned black shader (50/50) over the entirety of it's surface.
Would turn the pure white into a slightly dirtier grey/white too.

-Derp
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#15 » Sep 05 2015 12:12

ShasODerpy wrote:Have you considered shading these? it would really help pop out all of the small details, and is easy to do.

A thinly applied water-thinned black shader (50/50) over the entirety of it's surface.
Would turn the pure white into a slightly dirtier grey/white too.

-Derp

I haven't reached the shading step yet. I still have base layers to apply to the underside, and I need to tidy up the grey areas. It's nowhere near finished yet!

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Sep 05 2015 08:57

Ah!! somehow missed the images of the painted X-wing! it looks great!
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”