Right, so after being stripped AGAIN, I took another crack at the X-Wing. I tried white primer, but - as always - the stuff fuzzed up thanks to the humidity (I really, REALLY hate Louisiana). I started documenting my painting process - though my stripped adn primer shots were seriously washed out. So, my process is:
1: Soak the model in brake fluid to strip the paint. Purple Power eats through GW paints, but barely scratches X-wing models; brake fluid is the other way around.
2: Remove the peg from the bottom of the craft I wish to work on. usually a little wiggling and pulling, and it comes out, giving me a pilot hole for step 2.
3: Drill a hole for a 1/8" by 1/16" rare earth magnet. When the magnet is placed, I cut the peg off the stand and use sandpaper to rough it up, as well as one sid eof the second magnet so that the super glue adheres better. I also glue in the bottom half of the stand (leaving the base unglued).
4: Wrap the stand (detached from the base) in masking tape, and attach the model. Spray it with black primer on all sides, then dust from above and at downwards angles with white.
5: Give the model a solid coat of GW Celestra Grey. though it's a abse paint, some of the shading from step 3 shows through.
6: Follow up with an airbrush of GW Ceramite White from above and the sides, as well as other select areas. This leaves the Celestra Grey in the recesses and on the underside.
7: Apply watered-down GW Eshin Grey to areas that won't later be painted silver, and the start painting the orange areas.
That's all for now! I'm going to try resisting doing too much more until the Tamiya masking tape I ordered comes in. Once that arrives, I can really go to town without having to worry about screwing up the white anymore!