Fen'dor Clan Defense Fleet (9/4: A new Hope)

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Fen'dor Clan Defense Fleet (4/6: E-Wing Arrival!)

Post#11 » Jul 16 2015 08:55

So, I've run into the problem I feared I would.

Orange is a horrible, messy PITA to paint.

To alleviate this problem, I'm considering going to another color for the markings and such; however, I have a number of good colors I can't decide from! Here's some of my best options:

I'm kind of leaning towards dark blue or a dark green (possibly a darker forest green then the ones shown, if I can find some!). I'm completely and utterly torn. So, I leave the floor to you: If you feel I should try one of the above colors, name the number of the color (or colors if you can't pick one!) above you think would be best for my clan's markings - and if the hulls of the vessels should be white or grey!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Fen'dor Clan Defense Fleet (9/4: A new Hope)

Post#12 » Sep 04 2015 12:41

Right, so. For a day or two there...I'd completely given up all hope of repainting my Rebel fleet. I was just having way too mcuh damn trouble painting such small, fiddly figures! A recent, rather lengthy bout of depression further diminished my mood and my ability to focus. However, with the stubbornness us Americans are famous for ('Murrica!), I forced myself to calm down, sit down, and take my freaking time. I started at around 6-8 AM, and it's 12:35 PM now - and only this much is done. However, for once, I don't want to throw it to the floor and roll over it with my chair's wheels. It may be A New Hope after all - which is funny, since it's been my most problematic fighter to paint so far! I was even happy enough to take it outside (and internally make a few swooshing sounds) to take some "flying" shots:

Needless to say, the orange and white combo is dead. It has given me far too much grief -and something's really 'clicking" with this new scheme! I'm going to make the grey areas darker so they pop a bit more - but I honestly think that this little bugger's finally going to look great! I'll likely give it the blue engine treatment too, unless I can find some good yellows... ;)

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#13 » Sep 04 2015 03:27

Pictures are way too damn small, but I had to hold the camera far away or else the flash washed everything out. The dark grey went on a little too thick, but otherwise I'm liking where this is going!

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Sep 04 2015 03:38

Have you considered shading these? it would really help pop out all of the small details, and is easy to do.

A thinly applied water-thinned black shader (50/50) over the entirety of it's surface.
Would turn the pure white into a slightly dirtier grey/white too.

-Derp
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#15 » Sep 05 2015 12:12

ShasODerpy wrote:Have you considered shading these? it would really help pop out all of the small details, and is easy to do.

A thinly applied water-thinned black shader (50/50) over the entirety of it's surface.
Would turn the pure white into a slightly dirtier grey/white too.

-Derp

I haven't reached the shading step yet. I still have base layers to apply to the underside, and I need to tidy up the grey areas. It's nowhere near finished yet!

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Sep 05 2015 08:57

Ah!! somehow missed the images of the painted X-wing! it looks great!
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”